Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hungrier in the evening after eating breakfast..? page 2

Rory is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    I am really curious about this as well - since I was a teenager, breakfast has made me RAVENOUS throughout the day. By 10 am by stomach would be in knots. But fasting until lunch (with the help of coffee and a bit of cream) and my appetite is controlled.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Ditto.

I find if I eat a lot of food, late, I wake up STARVING. If I eat breakfast, I'm hungrier throughout the day. It's like a bizarre cycle.

KV8R is offline Senior Member
    I think it's about what your body adjusts to. I rarely eat lunch, so I try to eat breakfast and dinner. Basically, it works out to eating once every 12 hours, with breakfast being very small and dinner being very large. If I don't eat breakfast I'm starving by dinner. If I do eat breakfast and lunch, dinner tends to be smaller.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    Ditto.

I find if I eat a lot of food, late, I wake up STARVING. If I eat breakfast, I'm hungrier throughout the day. It's like a bizarre cycle.

I usually have dinner around 6 or 7. As a rule, I usually don't wake up hungry. (Though pre-primal I always woke up hungry. That was my reason for getting out of bed) And CW dieting in the beginning, I was hungry before bed, during the night, upon waking. I was just hungry all the time on the same (or more) calories than I am having now.

But now I might start to get a little hungry after being up for a few hours. (like now, but telling it to shut up) I like to weigh after 7, and then usually things get crazy so I can usually push it off.

I have found though, that if I eat breakfast before 10 or 11, I am hungrier all day (not just in the evening) and end up at the top of my calorie range. I also learned to start with protein/fat. That helps alot but I still end up with about 200-300 more calories for the day. I am also trying to make this work in my favor, as some days I do want more calories. So this is helping me to zig-zag a little. I havent really paid attention if I exercise more the day before. I am still trying to figure it all out.

Anyways, to answer your question, the earlier I eat, the hungrier I am all throughout the day, not just evening
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    I can sometimes go without breakfast---but only if I wasnt eating much before bed! Trying to stick to the - not eating after dinner rule - and I wake up less hungry as a result! I still tend to eat breakfast on most mornings...and still do three meals a day for the most part.
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

Zach is offline Banned
    It is because without food, your body goes into a sympathetic state where it in the absence of calories for fuel it starts cranking out adrenalin and cortisol. These hormones blunt feelings of hunger and make you feel alert and energetic. This is why most feel great when IFing. However this is not a good state to be in, long term.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    It is because without food, your body goes into a sympathetic state where it in the absence of calories for fuel it starts cranking out adrenalin and cortisol. These hormones blunt feelings of hunger and make you feel alert and energetic. This is why most feel great when IFing. However this is not a good state to be in, long term.
    Don't forget increased growth hormone (lean mass sparing), reduced insulin, and increased oxidation of fat. Its not all doom and gloom and there is actually no evidence that IF'ing every single day would be detrimental. In fact, seems the evidence is quite to the contrary and dependent on your current metabolic state. You should give the Pklopp IF'ing series a read, or even his blog Cogito Ergo Edo | I think, therefore, I eat! | Cogito Ergo Edo.

Zach is offline Banned
    I said long term. I dont see anything wrong with up to 16 hours as long as one is metabolically healthy.

And i will give that blog a read, thanks.
    Last edited by Zach; 12-02-2012 at 08:10 AM.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Even protein spikes insulin a little bit. And the more insulin spikes you have, the more blood sugar flowing through your body, the hungrier in general people seem to be.

Granted, this is seen in exaggerated measure in the "must eat every two hours or suffer debilitating blood sugar crash" CW-eating crowd, but it makes sense to me that everyone would suffer from this to some extent.

It's one reason why IFs can help curb hunger. Lower blood sugar, fewer insulin spikes, and all.

Marshalburton13 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Adirondack Chairs- Home Decor Ideas. Online shopping for unique and beautiful interior design kitchen bathroom accessories and products. Rustic timber mirrors, door knobs, indoor and outdoor furniture
    Adirondack Chairs

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast