Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Giving Up Carb Binges Once and For All page

jessie_p is offline Junior Member

Giving Up Carb Binges Once and For All

I've been Primal since the beginning of January. For the first month or so, I was very strict about sugar. No honey, no bananas, not even a small bit of white sugar. But, on Valentine's Day, I gave in a little. And a little quickly turned into a lot. Ever since, I've been on and off with my Primal eating efforts. I'll be flawless for a few days and then all of a sudden, I've downed three bananas and a bowl of ice cream to boot.

I know that one of the first steps of going Primal is to purge your pantry. But, I live with multiple people that have no interest in going Primal. However, considering that I do have will power 80% of the time, why I can't get back to being consistant about having no sugar? What am I doing wrong?

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    Purge YOUR stuff in the pantry. Not sure whether those you live with are roommates or family members, but I live with 3 others who are absolutely not primal and have no interest in being, because then they wouldn't have their nachos/cereal/tacos/etc.

Because that stuff isn't what I paid for, I have no problems with willpower ... now if I buy something that breaks those rules, that's on me.

What works for my cravings is the Leptin reset, or basically a high protein breakfast, keep under 25-50 carbs, no snacking, only 2-3 meals a day. Make rules for yourself and stick to them.

MrsC is offline Member
    It's also a possibility that you're binging because you've turned those items into a "forbidden" food. There's no reason bananas and ice cream can't be part of a healthy diet. Even Mark says that he puts some sugar in his coffee.

milkycereal is offline Banned
    hey I have an idea, eat some damn carbs...

Maybe your body is telling you something, to eat more fruit. If I ever have carb cravings (which I rarely do) I just load up on fruit. Personally I find it's pretty hard to eat more than 10 apples and 10 plums in one sitting, you'll probably be sick of fruit for a few days afterwards.

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    I know this will come off as harsh but here goes. Take full responsibility for your health and fitness!! If eating something sweet makes you fall off the rails then don't eat it in the first place. You aren't ready to do that and you likely have issues with carbs (long term over consumption). Eating clean whole foods and greatly limiting sugars will in time make it much easier as you won't crave these things.

Forget willpower. Make the commitment to be healthier no matter what! You'll be amazed just how well it works. You really will, but you've got to make real permanent changes. I can eat anything now and not lose control. The nice thing is that most of that stuff isn't even appetizing to me. It is garbage and it tastes like it. Nothing wrong with fruit but it needs to be eaten in true moderation. Especially when one has control issues.

kevingeary is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jessie_p View Post
    I've been Primal since the beginning of January. For the first month or so, I was very strict about sugar. No honey, no bananas, not even a small bit of white sugar. But, on Valentine's Day, I gave in a little. And a little quickly turned into a lot. Ever since, I've been on and off with my Primal eating efforts. I'll be flawless for a few days and then all of a sudden, I've downed three bananas and a bowl of ice cream to boot.

I know that one of the first steps of going Primal is to purge your pantry. But, I live with multiple people that have no interest in going Primal. However, considering that I do have will power 80% of the time, why I can't get back to being consistant about having no sugar? What am I doing wrong?
    Willpower is a muscle. Every time you exercise it, it gets stronger. That's all you need to know. So when you're tempted, ask yourself, "Am I going to get stronger today, or weaker?"

kevingeary is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J_walking_jonny View Post
    Maybe your body is telling you something, to eat more fruit. If I ever have carb cravings (which I rarely do) I just load up on fruit. Personally I find it's pretty hard to eat more than 10 apples and 10 plums in one sitting, you'll probably be sick of fruit for a few days afterwards.
    I can't say that's the healthy option. Carb cravings mean your body is craving glucose and that's not particularly natural. And eating 10 apples (and the sugar spike that goes along with it) probably isn't a good recommendation.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    What else do you eat? To me, 3 bananas is not really unhealthy, nor is 1 bowl of ice cream. If you like fruit, if you like bananas, have a banana. If you like ice cream, make a primal version with some coconut milk or something. I used to love ice cream, now instead I just eat berries with real whipped cream.

Unhealthy is a diet where 80% of your food is crap and 20% is good food (lol, that includes bananas). If you are at 80% good, 20% bad (and its probably more like 5% bad if you are lumping in bananas), you are adhering to the plan. Read the Primal Allowed Foods.... Look- Bananas! Primal Blueprint Shopping List | Mark's Daily Apple

Just move on- enjoy your primal meals, enjoy your cheats as long as you are happy with how you feel and your weightloss. If you really are not able to step away from the truly unhealthy (like ice cream), find a substitute that works within the framework. I miss a sweet dessert, but can't have ice cream or a cookie, but I can have a small piece of dark chocolate or berries and cream and the occasional more indulgent option. Therefore, I don't feel denied, and don't need to call on will power. I can even scoop up ice cream for my SO and not want any because I know I have a bowl of strawberries and cream to eat.

kcarol is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Dude, I'm the EXACT same way. I've seriously stopped my carb binging though since allowing myself bananas, honey, sweet potatoes...

I know many people forego fruit because there are "healthier" options, wanting to avoid the fructose and all.

Let me tell you this. Every food has its poison. We don't live in a perfect world where foods have evolved to be perfectly digestible to humans. No. In a very general sense, you can say humans have evolved to be readily prepared to eat the food around them and handle the inherent bad of the food (just look to livers!). Also, there's good opinion from people much smarter than me that the fructose in fruit, in the quantities and capacity you eat in moderation (which I would consider <4-5 servings a day), is acceptable. It's not very possible to overload the liver with fructose in the way it's packaged in fruit, with the exception if you're on the extreme end of fructose malabsorption. This is how I feel after having read quite a bit and seen the amount fructose alarmism.

BTW, to kevingeary: craving table sugar (sucrose) is NOT good or particularly natural I guess, but our desire for sweet is definitely "natural," whether it be pure glucose or galactose or whatever. Humans naturally have a sweet tooth. Our palatability for sweet foods is so strong it can exceed desire past appetite regulation (just so no one chews me out: Homeostatic and hedonic signals interact in the regulation of food intake., Lutter M, Nestler EJ., 2009). It's safe to say though that our sweet tooth (and desire for calorically dense food) have come back to bite us. This is pretty vestigial in modern day with the ever-present food supply around us.

Well I'll say this, it's always a give and take YOU have to decide for yourself. What foods have the ills (the poison in the dose sometimes) that you're willing to accept so you can live primally? Like I said, I kept binging until I upped my carb intake. I also don't have headaches anymore, and no more fears of passing out either! lol.

(BTW, there are many people that consider bananas and sweet potatoes relatively benign starches.)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast