Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Giving Up Carb Binges Once and For All page 2

Motorhead is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Practice makes perfect. I have found that the binges occur less frequently the more I practice the PB lifestyle. I also have noticed that I feel physically worse after a binge that contains wheat, but mentally better as I don't get down about the fact that I cheated. You will eventually get to the point where the price of having wheat/sugar outweighs the short term benefit and you won't binge. It can take months to get to this point, and I still have an internal conversation with myself every evening about if I want to raid the pantry or not. Most nights the caveman in me wins, once in a while he loses. I have been rewarded the past 2 weeks with losing almost a pound per day and putting on muscle. Don't beat yourself up and keep practicing.
    SW on 10/1/11: 380lbs.
    CW 12/13/12: 315lbs. (Was under 300#, added some muscle :-) )
    GW: 10% B.F. 250lbs. - 275lbs. (6' 4" tall)

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    I know many people forego fruit because there are "healthier" options, wanting to avoid the fructose and all.
    What is healthier than fruit except perhaps some veggies? Fruits have vitamins, minerals, anti-oxidants. They give us energy and satisfaction. Fruit is amazingly nutritious and I'm not sure how long you could not eat it for and stay healthy. LOL, scurvy anyone? You'd think fruit was the equivalent of a McDonald's Caramal sundae the way some people treat it. For all that *may* be bad about it, there is so much more good about it!

Fruit is every bit as good for your body as meat and vegetables.

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    If you last a few days each time, that's classic sugar withdrawal. If you hang on just a bit longer you come out the other side and it gets easier.

Having said that I have ended up adding some starches into my diet and I found that over months of low carb I gradually developed low mood and energy levels. But it's too soon for you to know if that's an issue for you really.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

milkycereal is offline Senior Member
    yeah, for real eat more carbs day to day.

I left this site a while ago because of the low-carbness that goes on here. Maybe you dont need a giant plate of spagetti for dinner followed by rice pudding for desert, but you crave carbs for a reason, not because you're "addicted"...

I was like you where I would carb binge every other week or so. In between I would feel like complete ASS. Everyone told me "just stick it out you have to get fat adapted"

Then i would tell myself "Okay this is it, no more carbs!!!"

And I slowly created an unhealthy obsession with food. I obessed all day and binged at night.

To be honest when I cut carbs I felt like such shit that i'm glad I binged every night. I felt like I was wrecking my health.

As soon as I reintroduced carbs I got my energy back and was actually more satisfied after each meal. more energy = more activity.

Maybe a sedentary person can live on carbs just from veggies, but not most people. Not if you want to be better than that.

Just pick clean carbs sources and you'll be golden.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I don't think you can say that fruit is the healthiest of your choices. It's only one choice among many you can make. If at this point in the transition fruit is a problem it is probably best to stay away from it. I think it's good to start this way of eating with a good palate cleanse. It gets you to the point where a good butternut squash tastes sweeter than a chocolate sundae used to.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

kcarol is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    What is healthier than fruit except perhaps some veggies? Fruits have vitamins, minerals, anti-oxidants. They give us energy and satisfaction. Fruit is amazingly nutritious and I'm not sure how long you could not eat it for and stay healthy. LOL, scurvy anyone? You'd think fruit was the equivalent of a McDonald's Caramal sundae the way some people treat it. For all that *may* be bad about it, there is so much more good about it!

That's just it--people forego fruit and eat meat and vegetables only, not necessarily better or worse, but because it's perceived as better because of fructose. That's why I put it in quotations. "healthier."

No, you won't get scurvy from foregoing fruit.
    Last edited by kcarol; 03-01-2012 at 09:07 AM.

kevingeary is offline Senior Member

Actually, you can go forever without fruit and be just fine.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    After you purge your pantry try intermittent fasting. Eat as primal as possible in a 5 hour window and fast the other 19 hours.
    Fast 5 pdf:
    PDF Ebook The Fast-5 Diet and the Fast-5 Lifestyle | Free PDF Ebooks Files @AcrobatPlanet.Com

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Actually, you can go forever without fruit and be just fine.
    And I know people who have gone forever without meat or fish and they are fine. I know a woman, she's probably 80 by now....has been a vegetarian since her 20's. Lovely, healthy and with it woman.

JoPaleo is offline Senior Member
    And I know people who have gone forever without meat or fish and they are fine. I know a woman, she's probably 80 by now....has been a vegetarian since her 20's. Lovely, healthy and with it woman.
    +1

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast