Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What if you can't always get grass-fed/organic? page

Lillian is offline Member

Primal Fuel

I just started going primal after meticulous research (and ordering the primal blueprint online), and being a former (misled) low-fat vegetarian, I see the error in my ways now. The thing is, I'm still concerned about the same things as I was before: meats that are fed corn/grains and pumped full of antibiotics/hormones. I'm trying to get in enough protein everyday, but there's only so much you can do with eggs. I want to start eating meats again, but what should I do when I can't always afford the organic/grass-fed? We have some organic poultry farms where you can individually pick out the ones you want, but aside from that, I'm not sure what else I can do as I live with my parents, and as a college student, I don't always have the money to get the organic/grass-fed meats. Should I make-do with what they buy? Although it is mostly meat from the supermarket (which leads back to the dilemma above...) Any tips and ideas would be helpful

LX
    LX is offline Senior Member

Save yourself first. Save the world after. - that's my motto. There's a reason the flight attendants tell you to put your mask on before helping anyone else.

I make do with the grocery store cuts. It's not ideal for my health, it's not ideal for the animals, and it's not ideal for the planet. But it's better for my health than low-fat/high-carb. Once I'm in a place I can afford the good stuff I'll get grass-fed/ pastured animal products. But until then I make do how I can.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

LX: So well said!

I used to buy "the good stuff." I can't now. Hopefully some day I will again. There just isn't any local farm meat, eggs that I can find, at least in small quantities. Sorry, I can't do $16-26/lb beef.

Better CAFO than VEG-O!

Lillian is offline Member

Thanks LX. It's true, they say "don't bite the hand that feeds you" I'm going to try and convince them to come with me today to the farmer's market and maybe they'll come around to buying the better meat occasionally >

PrimalWannabeGirl is offline Senior Member

If I couldn't get grassfed beef, I would go heavy on the small fish---herring, sardines, anchovies---and canned RED salmon. I would look for sales of wild-caught fish and if they were frozen at sea, I would stock up when they were on sale.

I would splurge on free-range organic eggs.

I would limit my supermarket purchases to pastured lamb (available imported from Australia) and find out from the meat dept. guy when it gets marked down for quick sale. I'd buy it on sale and stock up in the freezer. You can get a LOT of meals from one boneless leg of lamb roast!

I would buy supermarket poultry that was "antibiotic and hormone free" as well.

Sooze

jostle is offline Senior Member

Go for the leaner cuts of meat if its grain fed. Then purchase grass fed beef tallow or pastured lard to cook up the meat in to get a better 03/06 ratio. I know one of my buddies gets his grass fed fat free from butcher at the local whole foods. The butcher said it usually gets tossed since other customers want the meat trimmed of the fat. The butcher saves the fat and my friend gets all free trimmed fat he wants to render.

lesliek is offline Member

$16-26/lb for beef?? I know availability varies by location, but I can get 100% grass-fed beef for $5-6/lb. It's not the fancy cuts, of course, but it works for me!

Charentais Guest

ETA: Oh, I didn't read Jostle's post before I wrote this:

I can't afford the grass-fed pastured stuff, at the moment.

I read on some blog or website that a way to deal with this is to purchase lean conventional meats and fatten them up by cooking them with coconut or olive oil. Or butter.

This way, you'd avoid eating lower quality animal fats if all you can afford is conventional meat and replace it with cheaper "good" fats.

Not ideal, but a "work around."

mrd232 is offline Junior Member

I'd say the best thing to do is look local / rural and buy in bulk. It may not be 100% grass fed, but it's much better than the grocery store stuff.

Downside for some is that you need a large freezer and a wad of cash up front to buy 1/4-1/2 of a cow.

schadowrider is offline Senior Member

Some good ideas here for us too; thanks. And I like the fish idea -- Lierre Keith's book has been a big help in us mentally moving out of a vegetarian mode, and like her, factory farming was a big factor in our decision not to eat meat or commercial eggs -- not only for all the junk and crap in the food but also for how the animals and birds are raised and treated. We've since been educated as to the faults in much of our previous logic, but we still won't buy conventional meats or eggs -- just can't bring ourselves to condone/support the factory farm industry, and would rather do without (or stick with the small fishies and local free range eggs like PrimalWannabe said). Not preaching, just where we're at with it at this point...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast