Thread: Paleo Diet review in Canadian Living Magazine page

lotusberries is offline Senior Member

Paleo Diet review in Canadian Living Magazine

Primal Fuel
    "Created by Dr. Loren Cordain, professor of health and exercise science at Colorado State University, and a team of scientists and researchers, this plan will have you eating game meats, fish, nuts, seeds, and plants. You'll be eliminating sugar, dairy, grains, high-starch vegetables and processed foods from your diet. Fruits aren't banned, but low-sugar options are encouraged for optimum weight loss (goodbye, grapes). "There are some good aspects of the diet, such as promoting eating more natural, whole foods" says Hildahl. "But you risk not getting enough important nutrients, such as calcium and vitamin D." Dining out may also be challenging, as the plan is restrictive, and access to game meats in certain regions of Canada is limited.

The bottom line: "It's very hard to mimic this diet at home," says Hildahl. "By eliminating both grain, and milk and alternative food groups, it's not very nutritionally sound." adds Chernoff.

Hildahl's grade: C to C+"

I don't even know what to say about this. "Not very nutritionally sound" made me laugh pretty hard!

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    I've got a freezer full of elk, deer, bear and grass-fed beef here on the West Coast. I think I'll be just fine

What is an "alternative food group???"

thehallowprince is offline Senior Member
    I've been primal for two years and never had game meats and I've done jussssst fine. What a load of tossers...
    March 1st 2010: 308lbs | CW: 219lbs / 18.5%BF | New Goal: 16% BF
    Male. 28. 6'4''. Currently working on them muscles and strength!

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back? - Rivvin

abstractpersona is offline Senior Member
    The bottom line: "It's very hard to mimic this diet at home," says Hildahl. "
    I think they took "caveman diet" too literraly. I mean, no one is making you hunt your own game. You don't have to start a fire in the middle of a cave.
    People are just lazy, but to me slapping a steak on the frying pan is as easy as dumping a packet of mac and cheese on a pot. Really, not that different.

By eliminating both grain, and milk and alternative food groups, it's not very nutritionally sound." adds Chernoff.
    People with gluten intolerance sometimes have to avoid all other grains, what about that?
    And people with dairy intolerance? What the heck are they supposed to do?
    Personally I have both, so what choice do I have? What exactly am I missing out on?

What "alternative food groups" do we eliminate? Carbs, fat, protein? We eat them all. If anything it's the USDA guidelines that suck, since they completely eliminate the "fat" food group.

Anyone having trouble mimicking this diet at home? All my ancestors seemed to do just fine.
    My smartphone makes me about $100 per month
    Updating my journal again after a 2 year break.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    The problem is any Primal/Paleo diet will NEVER get a high rating because it ignores government guidelines and it means you have to cut out the addictive grains, "diet" food, low fat yogurt etc. Too much money involved there. If everyone went paleo/primal that would be 3/4 of the supermarket gone!
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Sanctus Real is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    This is the easiest WOE I've ever experienced. If I don't feel like cooking one night, I throw a salad together with leftover chicken or steak or tuna in a packet (I try to avoid cans if I can) and some of the many chopped veggies I always keep on hand in the fridge. I am one of those women who does a ton of work/cooking on Saturdays to insure that I can do as little work as possible Monday - Friday.

It seems to me that every article on the Paleo/Primal WOE is woefully misinformed. Journalists make a lot of assumptions, and don't research to find out if they're correct, because the doctors they interview don't know much about it, either.

it's not very nutritionally sound
    That really cracks me up, considering I track my nutrients daily, to insure I'm getting a balanced diet, and I usually do. It's not rocket science. Fill half your plate with meat, the other half with veggies. These guys are trying to make it seem so much harder than reality.
    Motherhood: When changing from pj pants to yoga pants qualifies as 'getting dressed'.