Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I active enough to be eating more carbs?? page

samiamm is offline Senior Member

Am I active enough to be eating more carbs??

Primal Fuel
    Ok so i'm 18, 6 foot, and 129 pounds, as you can see on the skinny side maybe even underweight. I do strength training mondays wednesdays and fridays, and I lift HEAVY to put some muscle on my skinny frame. On Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays, and SOMETIMES sundays, I do HIIT cardio (high intensity interval training) where I sprint for 30 secs, rest for 30 secs, sprint for 30 secs, 9 times. I also power walk for 30 minutes 2 times a day, because I walk this old lady's dog around for her for 30 mins. so I figure I might as well get some extra exercise. I powerwalk him at night for 15 minutes. Then i'm in gym class 8th period in highschool, which really isn't saying much. Whenever I go extremely lowcarb (20-50 grams) i feel like im dying. Am I active enough to be adding things such as sweet potatoes, squash, etc. etc. into my diet?

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by samiamm View Post
    Ok so i'm 18, 6 foot, and 129 pounds, as you can see on the skinny side maybe even underweight. I do strength training mondays wednesdays and fridays, and I lift HEAVY to put some muscle on my skinny frame. On Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays, and SOMETIMES sundays, I do HIIT cardio (high intensity interval training) where I sprint for 30 secs, rest for 30 secs, sprint for 30 secs, 9 times. I also power walk for 30 minutes 2 times a day, because I walk this old lady's dog around for her for 30 mins. so I figure I might as well get some extra exercise. I powerwalk him at night for 15 minutes. Then i'm in gym class 8th period in highschool, which really isn't saying much. Whenever I go extremely lowcarb (20-50 grams) i feel like im dying. Am I active enough to be adding things such as sweet potatoes, squash, etc. etc. into my diet?
    Overloaded and Under-fuelled: A case study | THAT PALEO GUY
    Is the term, ‘safe starches’ an oxymoron?
    478: Evolutionary Biologist Michael Rose On The Paleo Connection To Achieving Biological Immortality | The Livin La Vida Low-Carb Show

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Try them and see. My guess would be yes.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Ignore the grunty link poster.

I'm not talking about Apex (I'm sure you don't need that clue).

Seriously don't go low carb. Even moderate carb (<200 g a day) will probably be a challenge for you.

White rice is low in toxins, and white potatoes fine too (provided you are not sensitive to deadly nightshade). A couple of bananas a day won't hurt either.
    Last edited by paleo-bunny; 02-29-2012 at 02:08 PM. Reason: grammar
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

rockstareddy is offline Senior Member
    I was exactly the same stats as you three years ago. I dont know why you think you even need to be low carb?! Dont bother conuting, your not trying to lose. Just be primal. Low carb in the primal sense isnt really actually low carb, its just less than everyone on sugar and wheat.

You are more than active enough, and could deffiantely do with some good natural carbs. Under 50g is totally unecessary if you are a good weight. I would argue that someone of your frame (as i was) could eat loads of carbs and not worry about counting, just keep them primal. They helped me gain muscle over time. Leangains stylee
    www.healthfreakrevolution.com

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    Ignore the grunty link poster.
    What about those links are you afraid of?

Stevenhamley is offline Senior Member
    Actually do read overloaded and underfuelled.
    That kind of sprinting and probably that walking are both glycogen demanding, so you need more carbs.
    Aim for roughly at least 150, roughly 200g

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by js290 View Post
    What about those links are you afraid of?
    Your fantasy that I am afraid of links my dear.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

samiamm is offline Senior Member
    The thing is, I don't normally eat 20-50 carbs. I've just been going that low this week. I have no problem eating only 100 carbs a day, I can do that in a regular day without even thinking about how many carbs i'm eating. I don't eat grains, maybe 1 fruit a day, and the rest is from broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes, onions, avocadoes, etc. etc. However, in an effort to cut some body fat and lower my body fat percentage and allow my abs to show as I work on them, I have decided to go low carb for 1 week, been on it since monday. I'm running a mile today instead of doing HIIT, because I have to allow my joints and legs sufficient time to heal. I pretty much just want my body to witch to a ketosis state and then I'll slowly re-introduce the carbs. However, i'm wondering, when I re-introduce these carbs, would going over 100 grams be a big deal for me? Also, when should I eat the carbs, I'd prefer to eat them right before my workout so I can just burn most of them off, and I was planning on only eating them on cardio days.

jpandzel is offline Junior Member
    Dude you're way to skinny to be worrying about losing bodyfat to see your abs. If you start eating more calories consisting of plenty of meat, eggs, fish, veggies, tubers, fruit, nuts, and healthy oils and incorporate heavy compound lifts (squat, deadlift, bench press, oh press, pullups/chins), and toss a few brief conditioning sessions a week (like sprints or circuits with kettlebells), you will be suprised to see some nice new muscle mass. I would assume you're fairly new to training, so as long as you are increasing the intensity of your lifts each session, you will put on muscle fast. And I bet you will see your abs too. Those compound lifts will increase the size of your abdominals, making them more visible. Right now you are working with a skinny fat build . That is not a good look trust me man. Just eat a lot of healthy food, and lift heavy weights and everything will fall into place for you. Your body will fill into its natural figure.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast