Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Am I active enough to be eating more carbs?? page 3

tim_1522 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    What I mean is (for example) that I would eat a regular meal at, say, noon. Then eat a sweet potato at 4pm. Then not eat again until 8pm. That way there's a 4 hour window on either side of the "in isolation" carbs.

The idea is that there's no fat around (either from a previously eaten meal or from a meal you eat later) while the raised Insulin happens -- so, as much of that elevated Insulin as possible goes to CHO refill and not fat storage. Since there's probably some "delay time" between consuming the "in isolation" carb and when the Insulin response happens, I could probably be a little less strict about the time waited between the previous meal and the carb, but for now I'm going with this.

I'm not finding a good link a the moment, but I've seen/watched some videos referring to the "French tradition of eating fats and carbs separately" and that's loosely what I'm basing this on. It's not a big deal to move my mealtimes around to do it (and I still eat all the same foods as before) so I'm seeing what becomes of it.
    Last edited by tim_1522; 03-06-2012 at 01:43 PM.
    Re-focusing on the Primal Lifestyle in 2012!

Starting: 221.0lb, 29.5% BF (1/9/2012)
    Latest: 208.9, 26.1% BF (3/19/2012)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35679.html

StackingPlates is offline Senior Member
    Don't pay attention to what tim_1522 says, that is just silly. Eat more carbs, especially on workout days...

Quote Originally Posted by StackingPlates View Post
    Don't pay attention to what tim_1522 says, that is just silly. Eat more carbs, especially on workout days...
    You're right! You definitely ignore what he says!

Quote Originally Posted by tim_1522, first sentence he typed in the thread View Post
    Definitely look to up your carbs!
    Whoops!

I was referring to "carb isolation"...next you'll be telling us not to eat carbs after dark.

Quote Originally Posted by StackingPlates View Post
    I was referring to "carb isolation"...
    Hey, I'm not the only one here that's mentioned it...

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post670186

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Magically, we get the fattest when we combine carbohydrate AND fat in a single sitting - our body burns the carbs and stores the dietary fat.
    And from my experience Choco is definitely in the "eat more carbs" type camp. The OP in this thread had some concern that bumping carbs too much might cause fat gain, so I threw it out as a suggestion that might be worth trying out on himself. I also mentioned that it was something I was in the process of trying out on myself in part because of things like what Choco posted coupled with what I've learned in GCBC as well as other online videos that reference the idea of separating carbs and fats. There's a least a decent indication that from a biochemistry standpoint it makes some sense as a hypothesis (not saying it's been proven) and so something worth trying out.

Stephan Guyenet and the "food reward" community advocate separating fats and carbs, but do so because of said food reward theories/hypothesis instead of for biochemical/hormonal reasons. Similarly Seth Roberts and the whole "smell/taste/reward" association types also mention separating fats and carbs and other forms of food isolation.

I'm not saying I believe ALL of what any of these people say, but I try to look at what they are doing and keep an open mind an then use that as a basis for trying stuff out. But you can go ahead and keep your mind closed if that suits you.

If the OP does carb isolation as I described, what's the worst that happens? Well, gosh he eats more carbs. That's terrible!

And you know what? At the end of the day, I think it's up to him how he wants to proceed. Like I said, for me it was not too difficult to bump my meal times out a bit and throw a sweet potato in the middle. I'm about 2 weeks into trying it for myself and so far like the results (in performance, in body comp, and in energy levels...the last one being the most important as I felt I was dragging a bit lately) so I'm going to keep with it. The OP may decide it's a major pain in the ass to do and not worth the trouble and that's cool, too.

next you'll be telling us not to eat carbs after dark.
    Excellent strawman.

samiamm is offline Senior Member
    I get what you're saying, and if you look on this forum, I started another thread asking about whether I should eat my carbs pre or post workout. I was already planning on doing this, but you say you eat ONE sweet potato and then wait 4 hours. I'm sorry but 1 sweet potato is not enough for me, i'd rather just eat 1/4 cup and eat it along with some fats, or preferably just protein, but I know most protein comes mixed with fat.

Quote Originally Posted by samiamm View Post
    I was already planning on doing this, but you say you eat ONE sweet potato and then wait 4 hours. I'm sorry but 1 sweet potato is not enough for me, i'd rather just eat 1/4 cup
    Well, that's the amount I take in...but if you Carb needs are greater then by all means adjust that. The overall concept doesn't change...just the amount.

By one sweet potato, I'm referring to this: Calories in Sweetpotato, Cooked, Baked In Skin, Without... | Nutrition Facts and Information which has 24g of carbs. A 1/4 cup has about 10g of carbs, so that would be less so I guess I'm a little confused if you say that ONE sweet potato is not enough.

samiamm is offline Senior Member
    By 1 sweet potato I mean as a meal, which is only like 200 something calories?

Well, I'm not eating it as meal...I'm just isolating from my other meals. It's in addition to my meals.

Quote Originally Posted by tim_1522 View Post

And from my experience Choco is definitely in the "eat more carbs" type camp. The OP in this thread had some concern that bumping carbs too much might cause fat gain, so I threw it out as a suggestion that might be worth trying out on himself. I also mentioned that it was something I was in the process of trying out on myself in part because of things like what Choco posted coupled with what I've learned in GCBC as well as other online videos that reference the idea of separating carbs and fats. There's a least a decent indication that from a biochemistry standpoint it makes some sense as a hypothesis (not saying it's been proven) and so something worth trying out.

Stephan Guyenet and the "food reward" community advocate separating fats and carbs, but do so because of said food reward theories/hypothesis instead of for biochemical/hormonal reasons. Similarly Seth Roberts and the whole "smell/taste/reward" association types also mention separating fats and carbs and other forms of food isolation.

I'm not saying I believe ALL of what any of these people say, but I try to look at what they are doing and keep an open mind an then use that as a basis for trying stuff out. But you can go ahead and keep your mind closed if that suits you.

If the OP does carb isolation as I described, what's the worst that happens? Well, gosh he eats more carbs. That's terrible!

And you know what? At the end of the day, I think it's up to him how he wants to proceed. Like I said, for me it was not too difficult to bump my meal times out a bit and throw a sweet potato in the middle. I'm about 2 weeks into trying it for myself and so far like the results (in performance, in body comp, and in energy levels...the last one being the most important as I felt I was dragging a bit lately) so I'm going to keep with it. The OP may decide it's a major pain in the ass to do and not worth the trouble and that's cool, too.
    Before I respond, I would like to say that you are at least well thought out and that was a very well articulated post. With that said...

The OP is clearly new to this and very impressionable, looking to us for advice. In my opinion, this is not the time to start throwing out fads and theories before he has his fundamentals down. There is absolutely zero science behind what you are suggesting, and even though you made it clear it was "just something you were trying" I don't feel that the OP should be the target audience for this. In fact, this is exactly how broscience gets started. A young, impressionable person asks for advice on how to get big or lose fat and someone gives them anecdotal advice that worked for them and the rest is history.

My carbs after dark was not a straw-man, it was actually a satirical comment designed to reflect my point.

Similar weight loss with low-e... [Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2000] - PubMed - NCBI

As you can see, whether or not you separate your nutrients makes no difference in controlled studies. We really need to start giving our bodies more credit - they are not dumb; there is no magic bullet.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast