Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seasonal Allergies page

Ouis is offline Member

Primal Fuel

the acacia and grasses are starting to bloom and I am tired and sneezy--has PB helped with your allergies? I have been lowcarb for a long time, but am wondering if eating primally might change my constant allergic fatigue and nasal symptoms--

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

Ouis,

My allergies went away about two days after I stopped eating wheat. Your mileage may vary, but I think you'll be amazed what a difference PB makes.

:-D

elorajade is offline Senior Member

Could be, but I eat unpasteurized local honey. It helps to build up your immunity against local pollens etc.

You only need about a tsp a day so it shouldn't hurt your carb values.

I have BAD allergies and notice if I'm not taking honey, I got tired of taking OTC medications, so someone suggested this years ago, I'll never go back.

SW: 235
    CW:220
    Rough start due to major carb WD.

MWF: 1 hour run/walk, 1.5 hours in the gym - upper/lower and core
    Sat/Sun=Yard/house work, chasing kids, playing
    Family walk every night instead of everyone vegging in front of the TV
    Personal trainer to build muscle mass & to help meet goals

Ouis is offline Member

yah--haven't eaten wheat in years--I have avoided honey for the usual carby reasons--maybe I should try it--I am already miserable and it is only February!

Acmebike is offline Member

Full paleo/primal and I've ditched 35 years of horrid seasonal allergies! No more Claratin!

jostle is offline Senior Member

Primal eating pretty much made my allergies disappear, except for they have come back slightly in the past couple weeks. I've noticed some stuffiness if I drink or eat out with friends. This may be more of a gluten sensitivity that I never realized before PB. Some things that may help if you feel your allergies beginning to creep up are Apple cider vinegar with water in the morning and tea with a small bit of local raw honey before bed. A Netti pot is also a good no med alternative, if you do get sinus congestion or stuffiness.

danmerk23 is offline Junior Member

I have been 18 months illness free. I was 100% primal from June 09 to September 09 and then slowly fell off the wagon, a percentage a week it seemed. By Xmas I was drinking much more than ever. January I decided to fall back into being primal 100%. Stuck with it for at least 3 weeks and was doing much better until the last week I started doing lots of HIIT workouts. Stepping back on those a bit, I noticed I was getting more tired and lethargic. Still grain free, I seemed to be sneaking in some alcohol (beer/wine--homemade).

I started doing more lifting at less durations and took a week off of HIIT and just did regular cardio a few days with lifting. Things seemed cool. Then my wife (9 months pregnant, not primal) decides to bring home once a day baked goods and leave them on the counter. Of course my will power is like the size of a lady bug, I start snacking on them. 2 or 3 a day, especially in the late evening, a few hours after primal eating.

This lasted a week, then I asked her not to do that and I would make some date bars, etc. Thursday evening last week I went to bed late. Friday morning I was so congested and sore in my sinuses. All weekend I've been miserable. Post nasal drip took it into my throat then into my chest and I had to bail on working out. I walked the dogs 3 days in a row at least.

Saturday I realized it may have been the dairy and crap food and had to stop-- even the wine/beer. I am really paying for it now. Hoping to get better.

I will note that I have suffered for almost 30 years of allergies, and would be sick for weeks every Feb-April and then again in September-November. I don't know if it's the climate here that could have triggered such an auto immune response like this, but I am still miserable. Could one week of this way of snacking cause this? Who knows. I spent last 3 days really strict in my diet and trying to rest. Sleeping is miserable...

barryman9000 is offline Senior Member

I'm only on week three, so maybe eating primal will do the trick, but I always got honey from a local farmer and added 1 tsp a day to my tea. After about a week it would kick in and I wouldn't have any allergies.

I'm curious to see if just diet can change that. I'm almost positive I'm not "allergic" to wheat though.

Sometimes I think it's mental though. I've seen allergy commercials and felt like sneezing before!

PMAC is offline Member

My life long allergies (ragweed)disappeared this past fall. That alone is worth the price of admission for me.

danmerk23 is offline Junior Member

OK, so my autoimmune response became so unbearable that I had to resort to a MD. I was asked to take Zyrtec and Singulair for serious fluids in my lungs and esophagus. I was kind of miffed because this was something that I dealt with for years every Feb-March and then again in Sept-November. Yet last year for some reason I never experienced being like this at all. In Feb of 09 I was not primal at all, but I had been doing P90X and was eating so well except for soymilk and whole wheat bread. In Sept I was primal so that may have prevented it then.

The only thing that bothers me is that I can not imagine a few evenings of having a cookie with my wife and a few extra beers or glasses of wine would cause me to kick into such a massive allergic reaction to where my lungs filled up with fluids. I get that many have kicked their meds for GERD and allergies, but I've been reviewing my nutritional worksheets which I am pretty honest with and I can say that I am still eating primal. Feb workouts were less than perfect with me doing a bit more cardio doing Insanity.

Perhaps there are people that indeed have auto immune issues and changing their diets cause them to respond better than before. I can say that with just a few days of this I am already feeling better. Sure it's assisted by some meds I don't want to be on, but I can tell you that having a few pieces of cheese and a few cookies did not cause this. Since last week, I am dairy free and still wheat/corn/soy free.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast