Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Seasonal Allergies page 2

jrherring is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

There's a time and place for modern meds. Sounds like you hit your spot.

Could just be that your area is having an extra dose of allergens for whatever reasons?

But glad you're taking care of yourself.

I am on that as soon as I cut out dairy, all of my stuffiness/allergy-ness seems to have cleared up.

Even if you fall flat on your face, at least you're moving forward!

Yr 42

Yr 41

February Whole 30-ish

start. stop. start.stop...now ramping up to cruising speed!

Sterling is offline Member

If you truly have seasonal, pollen, etc allergies there is not a whole lot you can do. Allergies will improve with a PB lifestyle, but won't necessarily go away so don't freak out if they still bother you.

When I changed my lifestyle, my allergies improved but they are still around. However, my asthma disappeared completely after 39 years. I do still have to get allergy shots once/week but putting allergens into my system is much better than loading it up with chemicals.

danmerk23 is offline Junior Member

Awesome. Here I was thinking I was messed up because I was really trying hard with this lifestyle. I am recovering from this auto immune response. One thing I did notice, when I used to get this way, it was way worse and I would ALWAYS get an infection in my sinuses. My MD said that I was not dealing with an infection at all. So with this compromised immune system, I still have not caught the seasonal "common cold virus" that I once dealt with my entire life.

Wendy1 Guest

Ouis, thanks for starting this thread!!!

kuno1chi, Sterling, Acmebike, jostle and others, can I ask what your allergies were to if you didn't already mention above?

I have been wondering about primal eating/ asthma and allergies for my daughter, who is 5. She is allergic to grass seasonally and then also cats. She was just diagnosed with full asthma (cough variant) the week before last. My husband and I have been pretty much primal since last August. My daughter eats what we do at home (plus she eats more "substitute" kinds of things such as "bread" out of almond flour) but then has occasional stuff like cake at birthday parties, an occasional burger with bun, etc. She is probably more like 70/30 than 80/20 primal.

I think that this past summer her grass allergies were slightly better, and that was just when we were eating less wheat (I seem to be sensitive, although not fully allergic) before going primal. I am hopeful for her allergies this year. But, haven't seen any change in the asthma stuff and I'm wondering if it would happen if we cut out even more of her "treat" stuff.

Thanks, everyone for your comments and sharing. I have tried the honey thing for her before, but not lately. I don't know if it would be applicable since she's more grasses than pollen.

Wendy

Wendy1 Guest

bump

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member

Ouis, Wendy, I suffered from spring hay fever for fifty years (since age 12) and thought I'd tried everything under the sun for it. But then last year I tried the "specific carbohydrate diet" from Elaine Gottschall's book "Breaking the Vicious Cycle", which is for people with severe digestive diseases, and I broke my hay fever cycles, as well. I had maybe 5% of normal allergy, and the spring was especially bad for everyone else. People going to the emergency room for cortisone shots, etc. I didn't even sneeze till June 15!

I just wrote a few more details about this eating system on the New Grok Day 1 thread.

It has quite a bit in common with Primal. One does have to be more careful during allergy season with one's 20% non-compliance -- for me it will be more like 2% non-compliance till July, I believe. For instance, I will omit dairy this spring, and probably several springs to come -- but I expect the same wonderful miracle I experienced last spring. Amazing how good it felt to avoid that chronic fatigue from six weeks of severe hay fever.

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member

I've been low carb and almost entirely grain free for several years now (though not specifically primal for most of that) and I still have seasonal allergies. Better? Maybe sometimes I think so, but then the full-on Midwestern allergy season hits and I still needed my Claritin and decongestant. I might experiment with the dairy thing this year -- though to be perfectly honest I'm not sure I'm motivated enough; when it comes right down to it I'd rather sneeze a bit than not have Greek yogurt.

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member

Prairie Prof --- before I experienced the hay fever wonder cure last year, I already had known for a long time that leaving out all dairy would cut hay fever in half.

The theory from Elaine Gottschall made sense of this, because the lactose is a disaccharide, so it contributes to having a leaky gut. It's the leaky gut which lets big proteins through into the blood stream, so the immune system gets all upset and trigger-happy, especially when some of the proteins are gluten and gliadin, and are similar to the grass pollens entering the nose. Grains are grasses, after all.

But I think there's another reason that dairy can make hay fever worse. When young animals are new born, they have undeveloped immune systems. Mother's milk gives them immunity while they are getting their own set up -- hence dairy products stimulate (irritate and excite?) the immune system, increasing inflammation.

Just a theory ... anyway, your call, but I think it would be interesting for you to temporarily give up the dairy (after all, spring is over soon enough) to see what happens to your allergies. You can always go back to the Greek yoghurt later.

I'm off dairy till at least midsummer, for the same reason, but also because my cheese habit gets out of hand easily, and people here have said that cheese is insulinogenic and makes it harder to lose weight. I really do need to lose weight.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

wendy1:

I am allergic to some kind of spring grass, VERY allergic to Timothy hay (almost died once), Yellowjacket stings, and an antibiotic called Bactrim.

I didn't have a problem with the seasonals last year at all, but am still not taking chances with the other things at this point :-(

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I certainly agree it would be an interesting experiment to give up dairy, but boy do I ever think it would make me feel angry and deprived. I like eggs perfectly well, but I'm not willing to eat them for breakfast every single morning, or meat either for that matter. And I've been maintaining my low-carb weight loss for several years now, so it's really hard to get into the enthusiastic mode about cutting back further. Maybe when the allergies kick in, I'll feel more motivated to try....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast