Thread: Making short-term gains page

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member

Making short-term gains

Primal Fuel
    I may have bitten off more than I can chew, but I'm going to try anyway. I'm entering a competition on 3/17 that's based on the ATA Fit Test. 5 events, 1 minute each. Push-ups, sit-ups, kicks, punches, kick-and-punch combos.

I'm okay on the kicks and punches but I need to get my numbers up for the push ups and sit ups. I can currently do about 22 man push ups in one minute (my division is all women so I may luck out and be able to do them on my knees), and about 30 sit ups. I would love to get both numbers up to at least 50. Is this possible in 2 1/2 weeks? What's the best way to do it? Or am I just insane?

Thanks for your help guys!

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    You may or may not be insane but 2-1/2 weeks isn't enough. I don't know any women that can do 50 push-ups. Even those who are training regularly. I know that some can but that is a tall order, especially in that short a time frame. As for the sit-ups, I did marshall arts for over 3 years and they always had us doing these super fast sit-ups and I could never understand it. You lose so much of the mind muscle connection doing them so rapidly. Plus I'm a bit more muscled up than a lot of people and I simply couldn't move my upper torso up and down that quickly. To get 50 you need to move pretty fast!

As to training to improve your numbers, do as many push-ups as you possibly can until you fail, rest till you catch your wind and repeat. Skip a day or two and do it again. Follow that until a few days out from the test. Add a set or two to failure as you go along and adapt. Lay off from other intense type training. You want to put all your energy into the exercises you will be tested on. Definitely allow a few days before the test to fully recover so that you are at your strongest going in. Good luck!!

I figured that wasn't enough time... but I'm going to try anyway! I'm already in better shape than most of the other women competing, so I may not need to get my score up that high.

I agree with you about the super-fast exercises... I'm not doing this for my health, I'm doing it because I love competing. I'll go back to a more normal fitness regimen after the 17th.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Danielle5690; 02-29-2012 at 12:36 PM.

Tneah is offline Senior Member
    You might to able to if you have a strong upper body and core.

I did a fitness contest and I had to do as many straight legged pushups as I could. Although, we weren't timed, but we couldn't rest. It had to be continuous. I think when I started I could do about 25. By the following week I had moved up to 50. You get strong fast. Then, by the end of the 3 rd week I was at 75.
    My goal was to get to 75....ended up doing 96. I dropped to my knees and could only crank out 23 more. My arms were seriously locking up.
    So, don't give up.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I might switch to a training regimen of just practicing the actual test, as given, up to an hour per day five or so days per week. Then two days off before the actual test.

That's not enough to time to get much fitter, but you might get better at the movements / the time aspect, that's why.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    I might switch to a training regimen of just practicing the actual test, as given, up to an hour per day five or so days per week. Then two days off before the actual test.

That's not enough to time to get much fitter, but you might get better at the movements / the time aspect, that's why.
    I think I'm going to try that. I know it's the time aspect. I thought I had a month, and then I found out the competition was earlier than I originally thought it was going to be... so now I have to cram a bit. Thanks everyone for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Tneah View Post
    I think when I started I could do about 25. By the following week I had moved up to 50. You get strong fast.

So, don't give up.
    How did you get your numbers up so fast? Just do lots of pushups every day?

Update for anyone who's still interested: I won second place in my division with a score of 433 (minimum acceptable to be considered "fit" is 300). I managed 40 pushups, 27 regular and 13 on my knees. I'm happy with that, but I'm still going to work on getting my score way up for next year.

Thanks again for all the advice!!

Quote Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
    I don't know any women that can do 50 push-ups. Even those who are training regularly.
    Good luck!!
    I know this thread is super old, but I just had to update, for the record. I've been increasing my strength training since that competition, and trying to get my numbers up. I took the Fit Test last night and did 51 real, hands and feet push-ups in one minute!