Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Canadian Peeps: Don't those Tim Horton's "Egg White Breakfast Sandwich"... page 2

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I may change my stance on the quality of Cold Stone after reading the ingredient's list. Even the cleanest ingredients list has gums, carrageenan and polysorbate 80. Blech.

http://www.coldstonecreamery.com/ass...ngrediants.pdf

The allergen info is pretty bad, too.

http://www.coldstonecreamery.com/ass...rgen_chart.pdf

Obviously, I would expect anything with cake, batter or brownies in it to have gluten and wheat in it, but it troubles me that all wheat products are paired with soybean oil. That's just unnecessary. And the most disappointing thing of all - their ice cream is not egg-based. Very few of their ice creams have an egg allergy warning, which is a huge turnoff to me. Sigh, I guess the only good ice cream anymore is the stuff you make yourself.

Just look at the ingredients for peanut butter ice cream:

SWEET CREAM ICE CREAM (Cream, Nonfat Milk, Milk, Whey, Sugar, Corn Syrup, Guar Gum, Cellulose Gum, Carrageenan, Mono & Diglycerides, Polysorbate 80, and Annatto Extract), PEANUT BUTTER (Peanuts, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (rape seed, cotton seed, and soya bean oil))

Seriously, why is there hydrogenated oil in PEANUT BUTTER? It's the cheapest stuff on Earth. Even Shop Rite brand peanut butter is just peanuts and salt. Why does it have to be fortified with trans fats? They don't even know what kind of oil is in it. This and/or stuff has to stop. Peanut butter ice cream should be: "Cream, milk, peanut butter, eggs, sugar, extracts/alcohols." In that order. That's it. Ugh.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 03-01-2012 at 11:48 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Graeter's Ice Cream, Quality Ingredients Make Our Ice Cream Better

Graeters kicks Coldstone in the ass. And they are custard based, made with eggs! :-) And no corn syrup, at least in the simpler flavors.

Graeter's.com - Ice Cream - Peanut Butter

Theirs is made with Palm Oil :-( Maybe you can market Primal Ice cream.... have a line with coconut milk for the non-dairy peeps.

I need to make ice cream soon. My fave is pumpkin. I could sweeten with maple syrup.....

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    Moving back to Canada from the UK, everywhere is oh you have to get a Timmies coffee....can you say disappointed?!?
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Graeter's.com - Ice Cream - Peanut Butter

Theirs is made with Palm Oil :-( Maybe you can market Primal Ice cream.... have a line with coconut milk for the non-dairy peeps.

I need to make ice cream soon. My fave is pumpkin. I could sweeten with maple syrup.....
    Cream, milk, cane sugar, peanut butter (dry roasted peanuts, sugar, palm oil, sea salt), milk chocolate (sugar, milk, cocoa butter, chocolate liquor, soy lecithin, vanilla), skim milk, eggs, soy oil, vanilla extract, carob bean gum, guar gum
    Palm oil is fine. It has a great lipid profile. My concern is that, once again, their is soybean oil in peanut butter ice cream. I don't understand it. Why would there be oil in ice cream? It's not even mixed in with the peanut butter. It's so frustrating. Sometimes you just want to grab something when you're drunk at 2am on a Saturday night. Everything is off limits!

Breyers honestly has some of the best ingredients in ice cream. Their vanilla is just cream, milk, sugar and vanilla. But it's ice milk. I want eggs. I can make pretty good ice cream, but it's not a professional ice cream maker so I can't get great overlap. You kinda have to eat it quickly or it'll slowly get harder and harder until it's a brick. I wish I could get 30% or so overlap in my ice cream. I bet Breyers has over 50% and is full of air.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 03-01-2012 at 12:43 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Graeter's.com - Ice Cream - Butter Pecan

I wonder if it has to do with the chocolate or some kind of mix-in issue?- the Butter Pecan is oil free.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    Moving back to Canada from the UK, everywhere is oh you have to get a Timmies coffee....can you say disappointed?!?
    The only thing that Timmies coffee has going for it is consistency. On a road trip, you can stop there and be sure that you will get the same mediocre coffee as at any other location. It's sometimes a safer bet than the hotplate mystery coffee at the gas station. I haven't ordered anything but black coffee there in ages (my usual was double cream, but I've finally adapted to straight-up coffee).

Even worse was travelling in Ontario last year when it seemed like every place you got a coffee was trying to emulate Tim Hortons. It took about a week before I finally found decent stuff--and I do not consider Starbucks to be good coffee, so please don't even suggest it as an alternative.

I whined so much that for Christmas this year, my sweetie gave me an unbreakable french press and a hand-operated burr grinder from MEC so that I can make decent coffee when we travel. The even sweeter thing is that he is allergic to coffee, so that was entirely about making me happy.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Where do all of the yolks go that have been separated from the whites? An egg yolk sandwich, now you're talking.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

steffturner is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrokON View Post
    ...Commercials make you wanna tear your hair out?! LOL

"Look at us trying to eat right!"

(Yes. Trying. And failing.)
    I was at a Goodlife Gym the other day taking in a Body Pump class and two instructors came up to me after to chat. One said to me " You have such great arms! What's your secret... it's diet right?" And I said " yes...I'm on a high fat/high protein diet. Lots of healhty fats, avocado, eggs...". The other instructors said "You mean eggs white right?" I said "no...I eat the whole egg". She looked at me like I had two heads! I said "I stopped eating sugar and bread a year ago". One said...yeah I should do that and walked away... (you know she won't!)

I've been going to the same gym for 2 years... most of the regulars are on low calorie/work out like crazy regimes and have seen no noticeble change since they started. Isn't that the definition of insanity?

Age: 44, 5' 2", SW: 128 lbs, CW: 118 lbs, Primal since April 2011

“Like religion, politics, and family planning, cereal is not a topic to be brought up in public. It's too controversial.“
    ~Erma Bombeck

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tealia View Post
    I have always, always, had terrible eating habits, but there were two places I refused to eat: Subway and Tim Hortons. I had decided very early on, as a teen, that both establishments serve terrible tasting food that I could have made at home for a fraction of the price and made somewhat tasty.

Tim Hortons food is nothing but bagels, crappy sandwiches, and itty bitty bowls of soup. I don't consider 'treat' junk food like doughnuts to be food.

Oh, and my local Tim Hortons shares a roof with a Cold Stone Creamery ice cream store, just double trouble now.
    Those bowls of soup are just nuked Campbell's soup anyway. And they make terrible tasting coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    my sweetie gave me an unbreakable french press and a hand-operated burr grinder from MEC so that I can make decent coffee when we travel.
    I traveled last month (all month) what did I bring along? my bag of whole beans and my peugeot hand grinder. I love that I am not the only one dedicated to making good coffee.
    Last edited by jojohaligo; 08-08-2012 at 05:57 PM.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast