Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planks evil planks page

jgrh is offline Junior Member

Planks evil planks

Shop Now
    I read that the goal for women is a two minute plank. How many sets? Should I work up to two minutes and then add a set? I hate those suckers, but apparently they work! And the 50 push up goal. Once again, how many sets?

pbj
    pbj is offline Senior Member
    I do 1 min planks and 1 minute side planks at the end of each bodyweight / freeweight circuit which includes 15 pushups.
    I do the circuit 3 x
    I plan on increasing plank time and pushup sets - I don't really have a set goal - just to keep getting better I guess.
    my info:

If you can't tell the truth about yourself, you can't tell it about other people --- Virginia Woolf

My journal

Yaish is offline Senior Member
    Based on some of the obstacles in the Tough Mudder, I'm going to replace planks with what I'm going to call "plank walks".

Basically some of the tunnels were small enough you had to inchworm forward on your elbows and toes, a few inches at a time. I'm going to do the same for 30-50 feet. It was an incredible ab workout.

JennaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yaish View Post
    Based on some of the obstacles in the Tough Mudder, I'm going to replace planks with what I'm going to call "plank walks".

Basically some of the tunnels were small enough you had to inchworm forward on your elbows and toes, a few inches at a time. I'm going to do the same for 30-50 feet. It was an incredible ab workout.
    wowwwwww abs of steel for sure

cline is offline Member

Plank walks KILL. Do them forwards, do them backwards, do them bilaterally... killer. Oh yeah and be sure to do them on the elbows!!!

federkeil is offline Senior Member

The tubes were murder on my calves as I could bend my knees or hips. I smoked my head twice in the tunnels.
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Doesn't doing planks pretty much just make you better at doing planks? Where's the functionality? I tried some side planks a few days ago and got bored after a few minutes of just laying there. I'll keep my playground rings and tree climbing for now, thanks.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

NWPrimate is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cline View Post
    Plank walks KILL. Do them forwards, do them backwards, do them bilaterally... killer. Oh yeah and be sure to do them on the elbows!!!
    I'll second that! I was doing static planks for a couple of months at the end of each workout, but that did little get me ready for the plank walks that I recently adopted. Just a couple of workouts and I have weird "rib muscles" (serratus I believe?) popping out that have never been visible.

It seems like a much more functional exercise in the theme of what Knifegill mentioned, or what one would see in MovNat.

AlexChaos is offline Member
    I do planks as the last exercise, to burn out the abs or as active rest.

So lets say after you do a circuit, do a minute of planks before you start your second set.

cline is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NWPrimate View Post
    I'll second that! I was doing static planks for a couple of months at the end of each workout, but that did little get me ready for the plank walks that I recently adopted. Just a couple of workouts and I have weird "rib muscles" (serratus I believe?) popping out that have never been visible.

It seems like a much more functional exercise in the theme of what Knifegill mentioned, or what one would see in MovNat.
    They are cool. Add a plate or sandbag on your back.

Follow up w bear crawls. Lol. I hate those things.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast