Thread: Interesting article on omega-6 - BS or not? page

CaptSaltyJack is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

This article also raises some confusion. In Sisson's book, he distinguishes between PUFAs and omega-3 I'm pretty sure, yet omega-3 is apparently also a PUFA. Not that Wikipedia is the tome of knowledge or anything, but:

"Important nutritionally essential n?3 fatty acids include ?-linolenic acid (ALA), eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), all of which are polyunsaturated."

Anyway, here's the article where the AHA says omega-6 is good for you. Thoughts?

http://news.health.com/2009/01/26/am...6-fatty-acids/

gazb is offline Junior Member

Omega-3 is a PUFA, yes. And like Omega-6, it's essential in small amounts.

That AHA thing's a load of nonsense, like most of what they say. I wonder how much the vegetable oil industry paid them to come out with stuff like "Itís not really possible to get too much omega-6"?

Stabby is offline Senior Member

It is all about the ratio. If there is more omega 6 than omega 3, there is an overproduction of inflammatory prostaglandins and thus, hamrful inflammation. Omega 6 fatty acids when not in excess of omega 3 are perfectly fine. The problem is that the modern processed diet begets a ratio of way too much omega 6 and too little omega 3.

Also I believe GLA on its own has some anti-inflammatory properties, but I would still count it towards my ratio.

Another point on omega 6s is that processed industrial oils like canola, cottonseed and soybean are most definitely going to be oxidized from the refinement process and from lack of antioxidant protection, even if not exposed to heat, but when exposed to heat they become heavily oxidized and cause a lot of free radical damage, not the same as inflammation but physical damage nonetheless.

So raw nuts and seeds, cold-pressed olive oil, avocado, etc are all fine when accompanied by adequate omega 3.

The AHA are indeed mentally retarded. The reason why they want people to consume more omega 6 is because it will lower cholesterol levels. Both HDL and good LDL but we can't expect the AHA to understand these things. They're doers, not thinkers! Ra ra ra ra!

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!