Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aspartame vs. Sugar?!! page

rosalynS is offline Junior Member

Aspartame vs. Sugar?!!

Primal Fuel
    Hello all! Quick question in regards to which is worse for you aspartame or sugar!? I was raised by my parents saying if you are going to do it, do it all out. In other words if we wanted a pop (for a treat) it was just a coke, or root beer, never a "diet", in fact never diet anything or "low-fat".. So although I never touch products with aspartame I'm still curious as to why it is so bad exactly!? I am in nursing, (today we did diet plans, based on "canada's food guide" and we had to also say what we ate in the last 24hours) I'm doing full out strict Paleo now, and my teacher almost had a heart attack when she saw mine, shocked at how I got my 6 servings carbohydrates, and 3 servings of diary, etc.. How do I promote this "Canada's Food Guide" when I don't believe anything it says like never butter always margarine, use vegetable oils if your using oil.. etc. Any tips, OR nurses out there with tips would be awesome!!! Sorry this turned out to be super long, I'm new to this and loving it, so I want to know everything possible!! Thank you for any replies!

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    In and of itself sugar is far better! Aspartame is pure poison and not fit for human consumption. It is a neuro-toxin which is a drug not a food. There is plenty of great info on the web regarding the dangers of this stuff. It has killed and is killing many many more people than most realize. It is an epidemic.

The problem with sugar products is that they are way over consumed! They become addictive to many people. Just do some reading here if you need convincing of this. This long term over consumption of sugar and grain products is devastating to many people. They simply start to break down systemically.

I don't know what to tell you about your government guidelines. They are BS. I could not promote something I vehemently disagree with. How would you sleep at night doing that? Something to think about. I have been eating real, organic whole foods, no sugar products, limited grains for several years now long before I ever heard of paleo or primal. I'm here because it closely lines up with this. I can say without a doubt that it works wonders as far as health goes. I feel absolutely great almost all the time. Better than I've ever felt. THAT is the measuring stick. Not some test numbers. There are lots of people walking around with "good numbers" and they feel crappy most days. Not a fan of the medical industry. I do however wish you well with this!

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I would limit sugar and not have any aspartame at all. Aspartame is really a chemical mess - the facts have been out there for at least 15 years now. As far as sugar, it's not as scary, but it isn't all that good for you. Find something else to eat.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Sunnivara is offline Senior Member
    Aspartame is poison and causes many people all sorts of health issues. Sugar we know is bad too. Splenda (sucralose) I'm sure is also bad but I find I have the fewest side effects from it of the 3 baddies.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I would eat sugar any time any day before I ate aspartame OR splenda. They are both completely artificial chemicals with no place in the diet.

Your palate for sweetness will change a bit the longer you are paleo. But I still have a little sugar here and there.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Sugar is not inherently toxic (notice I say sugar, not HFCS or agave syrup). With sugar, the poison is in the dose. No one in this country would get sick and fat off of 1-2 teaspoons of quality sugar a day. Putting 2 sugar packets in your morning coffee isn't going to hurt you. What's killing Americans is the 100+ POUNDS of refined sugar they eat every year. There is a threshold for whole, natural sugar where it can be beneficial, and as you approach that threshold, the benefits diminish until they go away completely and it becomes a toxin.

Aspartame is toxic in ANY dose. It should never be ingested, ever. It does not belong in the human body.

If you're metabolically stable, small amounts of sugar shouldn't hurt you. Just make good choices, like raw honey, blackstrap molasses, organic maple syrup, sucanat or coconut sugar, and use it conservatively. It's still relatively isolated sugar, which is overall low in nutrition vs whole foods. Even Mark Sisson puts a little sugar in his morning coffee, but don't let your 1-2 teaspoons turn into 1-2 cups in a tray of brownies.

I purposely eat sugar every single day. It's good for your metabolism, body temperature and thyroid, assuming you're metabolically healthy. However, I eat it in the form of fruit - an apple or a cup of berries on my sedentary day and 3 servings of fruit on days I lift heavy.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

raptoryell is offline Senior Member
    Organic Pure Cane Sugar...
    Or better yet...try Coconut Palm Sugar.
    Primal (2013)
    Locavore (locally grown foods when possible)
    Training consists of Muay Thai, BJJ, and weight training

Would like to be in good shape by my 35th Birthday (07-07-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by raptoryell View Post
    Organic Pure Cane Sugar...
    Or better yet...try Coconut Palm Sugar.
    This showed up in a box on my doorstep last week

Madhava Organic Coconut Sugar, 16-Ounce (Pack of 6): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

Admittedly, it'll probably last me a few YEARS. I don't bake much - only for company - but my friends complain about the taste of stevia. If I cut the stevia with coconut sugar, they probably won't notice. I figure it's a good compromise.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

greytgrokette! is offline Junior Member
    From my own personal experiences with Aspartame, it gives me severe depression if I consume it in any quantity. Splenda and all it's side names I'm severely allergic to, and causes severe allergic reactions. Cane sugar is severely addictive (this coming from someone who was a severe sugar addict until recently, and has beaten the habit for good). Malitol is OK, but it is wheat derived. Isomalt is OK too. If you absolutely have to have you sweet indulgences then I also second the Coconut Palm sugar. It's great for your tea, coffee and won't trigger sugar cravings. I used it as a sugar alternative for my coffee until I was able to cut off all sugar for good. Agave syrup is good as well, but have had mixed results baking with it. Grape sugar is also a good alternative for baking, as you literally can't tell the difference in baking. Of the three cane sugar alternatives the Coconut Palm sugar is the best one to use if you are in the process of cutting off cane sugar for good. It doesn't trigger the sugar cravings, and is far better for you than Cane sugar, which is highly addictive. Hope that this helps you out.

PrimalCon New York
    I just want to say please, PLEASE, avoid agave syrup. It is FAR worse than HFCS. It is 70-90% isolated, processed fructose, and it'll make you far fatter and sicker faster than corn syrup. It is bad, awful, terrible news.

The best sweetener IMO is pure stevia extract (with Stevita brand stevia powder packed in erythritol a close second). If you have to use sugar, use raw, organic honey and blackstrap molasses. If you can't use them because of flavor, go coconut sugar. That's one man's opinion.

Please take note: I do not find cane sugar addictive at all. I have never sugar binged in my life. Even eating SAD, I never had much of a sweet tooth. I often scraped the icing off cake. I almost never drank soda or juice, usually water or very lightly sweetened iced tea. I was always a pasta and bread man. YMMV.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast