Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Aspartame vs. Sugar?!! page 4

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    We will never find a food that might not be bad for some people, name a food or a foodproduct, and you'll find somebody that react bad to it...

Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    Aspartame makes me urinate disproportionally high amounts. The taste is ok, I guess. I've long since given it up, though, so I barely remember and might not like it now.
    M.
    That's exactly one of the reasons why I drink Coke Zero - to get surplus water out of my body in the morning! I guess that the diuretic effect comes mostly from the caffeine though...

Mikee5 is offline Senior Member
    I actually love stevia, because it's from a natural source. I've been sugar free for a month, works for me.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Aspartame isn't exactly a "food"...

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Aspartame isn't exactly a "food"...
    It's made by synthesis from Amino Acids - another syntheisised amino acid; "Creatine monohydrate" isn't exactly a food either, but I still take it daily for it's good benefits, and I am sure that some people around here will think that the devil is behind it, since it's not "natural" enough...

Cyrone Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    So you were looking for an ancient thread to resurrect...

That's the best argument you've got for its effectiveness?
    a) instead of creating a new thread, yes
    b) I wasn't making an argument, I was dismissing someone else's

primalmedic413 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Studies on fructose are usually done on isolated fructose, which is toxic. I've never seen a study involving fructose that involves whole food, like apples, bananas or mangoes. There's nothing wrong with spiking your blood sugar. Blood sugar spikes are healthy and avoiding them leads to insulin resistance. You can't expect to be insulin sensitive if you never spike your blood sugar just like you can't expect a man who is never exposed to bacteria to have a strong immune system. This is why chronic low-carbers feel lousy when they eat a potato - they are highly insulin resistant from avoiding blood sugar spikes.

The problem is constantly elevated blood sugar (hello, 5-6 small meals a day!). I eat lunch at 12:30pm and dinner at 8:30pm. I'm not going to become diabetic spiking my blood sugar twice a day. I include starch and sugar in most meals in the form of potatoes and/or fruit. I eat chocolate semi-daily. My fasting BG last time I checked was 79.
    Blood sugar spikes are NOT healthy. You become insulin resistant because when you spike your sugar, your cells down regulate insulin receptors in response to the high amounts of insulin. Then, when your blood sugar remains at an elevated level for a longer period because the receptors have been down regulated, the pancreas release even more insulin in response to bring down that chronically elevated sugar level.

If you can handle sugar spikes, and feel it is healthy for you, have at it, enjoy your starches. But don't try to peddle misinformation like insulin resistance is a myth.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234