Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aspartame vs. Sugar?!! page 3

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrone View Post
    ^ I searched for this topic in response to sugar cravings issues.
    So you were looking for an ancient thread to resurrect...

Yeah, as are global warming, facebook userbase, and gas prices.
    That's the best argument you've got for its effectiveness?

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    It's an old book (1996) with a bit of a dramatic title, but the guy is all science:

Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills by Russell L. Blaylock

The section on the aspartame trials is very educational.

It bypasses the blood brain barrier (not something I'm a fan of) and breaks down chemically with heat. Very unstable. Toss in the more recent studies that have shown artificial sweeteners tend to make you crave sugars even more, and I don't get the point of using it. I prefer to use the real stuff and train my taste buds so they don't need nearly as much.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    From what I've read, obese people and all children should probably not use aspartame. Relatively healthy people can probably consume it without too many negative reactions.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    From what I've read, obese people and all children should probably not use aspartame. Relatively healthy people can probably consume it without too many negative reactions.
    Add to that list anybody with a neurological disorder such as Rita's migraines, Cori's brain swelling, or my epilepsy.

So then we get down to the "heathy people can tolerate it" issue, which, IMO, means that they are just asymptomatic as of yet. If it is bad for people with "special snowflake" status as Cori puts it, it is not *good* for anyone. Tolerable=/=good.

There was a time that I was young and healthy and swilling down diet sodas. Then I got epilepsy. Did the sodas cause it? We will never know that but I sure don't think they helped any.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    If it is bad for people with "special snowflake" status as Cori puts it, it is not *good* for anyone. Tolerable=/=good.
    Sounds like wheat.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

PureFunctionalFitness is offline Senior Member
    And this recent study from the European Food Safety Authority

http://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/consult...all/130108.pdf

I don't think that we should be digesting this stuff, but although no-one likes the idea, it 'might' be safer than fructose.

I don't touch sugar or aspartame, but if anyone wants to analyse the study and present an opinion on it's validity, go right ahead.

If we want science to support our claims that paleo/primal eating is the best way to eat, then I guess we have to have open minds to the fact that something that has been vilified, could be safe.........um, er, a bit like saturated fat :-0

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    I have either some fruits or a bit of added xylitol (derived from birch) in my rather rare sweetened treats for its benign properties.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Add to that list anybody with a neurological disorder such as Rita's migraines, Cori's brain swelling, or my epilepsy.

So then we get down to the "heathy people can tolerate it" issue, which, IMO, means that they are just asymptomatic as of yet. If it is bad for people with "special snowflake" status as Cori puts it, it is not *good* for anyone. Tolerable=/=good.
    I agree with that 100%. I'm doing an experiment to see if I notice any differences in my overall health ditching Equal. I might not since I only use a half packet in one or two cups of coffee a day, and occasionally if I make a curry, I put a packet in what would be two servings. Still, because of the coffee, it was daily consumption, so I want to see if I notice its absence.

As a note, I am a special snowflake, but not in reference to my health. More in reference to flake.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

MEversbergII is online now Senior Member
    Aspartame makes me urinate disproportionally high amounts. The taste is ok, I guess. I've long since given it up, though, so I barely remember and might not like it now.

M.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    For a lot of folks eliminating aspartame fits the spirit of n=1. We have enough grief trying to make sense of steak and potato data, additives are just an unwelcome variable.

But I agree that--considering the consumption rate--I would expect the evidence of harm to be more clear-cut.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast