Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aspartame vs. Sugar?!! page 2

carlh is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Any links pointing out the specifically negative aspects of fructose? I know several people who are kinda-sorta-almost trying paleo but keep telling me fructose doesn't count as sugar (to which I go...wtf...you nuts?). I know it doesn't spike the Glycemic index as rapidly as sucrose, but it still does.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    Any links pointing out the specifically negative aspects of fructose? I know several people who are kinda-sorta-almost trying paleo but keep telling me fructose doesn't count as sugar (to which I go...wtf...you nuts?). I know it doesn't spike the Glycemic index as rapidly as sucrose, but it still does.
    Studies on fructose are usually done on isolated fructose, which is toxic. I've never seen a study involving fructose that involves whole food, like apples, bananas or mangoes. There's nothing wrong with spiking your blood sugar. Blood sugar spikes are healthy and avoiding them leads to insulin resistance. You can't expect to be insulin sensitive if you never spike your blood sugar just like you can't expect a man who is never exposed to bacteria to have a strong immune system. This is why chronic low-carbers feel lousy when they eat a potato - they are highly insulin resistant from avoiding blood sugar spikes.

The problem is constantly elevated blood sugar (hello, 5-6 small meals a day!). I eat lunch at 12:30pm and dinner at 8:30pm. I'm not going to become diabetic spiking my blood sugar twice a day. I include starch and sugar in most meals in the form of potatoes and/or fruit. I eat chocolate semi-daily. My fasting BG last time I checked was 79.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Pamsc is offline Senior Member
    I've been low carbing for diabetes for many years, and I learned quickly not to argue with diabetes educators. In the US they are required to teach the American Diabetes Association recommendations in order to have their services reimbursed by insurance, whether they agree with them or not. You may be in a situation where you are required by the rules to tell people something you don't agree with. You can probably slip in a few clues, but I would accept that as part of the cost of being a professional (or if you can't, change careers).

I'm almost completely off sugar, except that found in bittersweet chocolate. I make occasional desserts sweetened with banana, prunes or dates. I would use honey or maple syrup before I used sugar, but I would use sugar before I used any artificial or substitute sweetener (agave or stevia)

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I often scraped the icing off cake.
    For years, I've been following behind you and eating all that frosting.

You're welcome!
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

rosalynS is offline Junior Member
    @ChocoTaco369, I couldn't agree more, I honestly would take a fresh piece of bread and butter over a chocolate bar or ice cream any day. I was unaware that coconut sugar even existed, but am quite interested in trying some out asap. Thank you for everyone's input, appears I have some "research and decision making to do"

Cyrone Guest
    I am shocked by this thread.

Does anyone care to provide some scientific, scholarly evidence/experiment/paper that proves Aspartime is dangerous? All the ones I've seen show that it's absolutely safe.
    Such as this one. Aspartame: review of safety. [Regul Toxicol Pharmacol. 2002] - PubMed - NCBI

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrone View Post
    I am shocked by this thread.

Does anyone care to provide some scientific, scholarly evidence/experiment/paper that proves Aspartime is dangerous? All the ones I've seen show that it's absolutely safe.
    Such as this one. Aspartame: review of safety. [Regul Toxicol Pharmacol. 2002] - PubMed - NCBI
    Why are you "shocked"? I have seen this opinion stated often.

I won't touch the stuff because it tastes nasty. I think that's reason enough, but it also makes me feel like crap if I were to drink a diet soda on an empty stomach.

I'd like to see your research that shows the effectiveness of sugar substitutes in weight control. You know, the study that shows how an ever-increasing consumption of artificial sweeteners has worked to bring down obesity in this country.

Oh, wait. It hasn't. Both artificial sweetener use and obesity are rising.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Another irrational scaremonger thread about Aspartame - yawn...

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    and another thread dug up from over a year ago.... yawn, sigh... narcoleptic sleep fit

Cyrone Guest
    ^ I searched for this topic in response to sugar cravings issues

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Why are you "shocked"? I have seen this opinion stated often.
    Because I was under the impression this forum was filled with intelligent people, seeing as most of us are following the primal lifestyle. Also, they are not stating it as an "opinion"

Oh, wait. It hasn't. Both artificial sweetener use and obesity are rising.
    Yeah, as are global warming, facebook userbase, and gas prices.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast