Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: who does Fast-5? page 9

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I failed miserably at the fast-5 last week. My hunger got more and more insane each the day and correspondingly my calories went up more each day. I don't think I can do the fast-5 and eat the small quantity of calories required for me to lose weight.

Do people find they can eat more calories on fast-5 and still lose weight? Because if I can't actually satisfy my hunger and end up eating to excess, I don't know if I should try this again next week. The mental anguish of such enormous hunger is just too difficult to deal with.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

touchdowntodd is offline Senior Member
    why are you concerned about calories? eat until full .. some nights i eat a TON in that 5 hours .. and i lost nearly 3lbs last week alone .. some nights i only eat 1 meal

its not for everyone .. just sayin dont hold back .. hopefully when eating normal meals you eat until full, so do the same here
    started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I failed miserably at the fast-5 last week. My hunger got more and more insane each the day and correspondingly my calories went up more each day. I don't think I can do the fast-5 and eat the small quantity of calories required for me to lose weight.

Do people find they can eat more calories on fast-5 and still lose weight? Because if I can't actually satisfy my hunger and end up eating to excess, I don't know if I should try this again next week. The mental anguish of such enormous hunger is just too difficult to deal with.
    Sound like a common problem~
    from Frequently Asked Questions about Fast-5 | Fast-5 Life

4.Iíve been on eating on a Fast-5 schedule all week and Iím still eating everything in sight. What do I do?
    Give yourself time to adjust. Compensatory overeating is a normal part of the adjustment, and typically subsides after a week, but sometimes it takes up to three weeks. Weight loss is not to be expected until youíve been on a steady Fast-5 schedule for at least three weeks.

Well, is weight loss about the calories or not? If fasting for 19 hours leads me to eat 2000 calories but not fasting (or a fast of a much shorter duration) leads me to eat 1000, which is going to give me weight loss?

i would suggest 1000 isnt enough for you anyways ... imho based on your weight etc...

like i said its not for everyone but works well for lots ..

I'm not trying to be obtuse or anything and I did download and read the fast-5 book. I do wonder what the advantage of fast-5 is, however.

If it's that your insulin is basically flat-lined throughout the day, well, couldn't you obtain that same benefit with a low carbohydrate diet? Or bulletproof fasting?

If the benefit of fast-5 is you get to have your carbs (candy, cakes or whatever) and eat them too, then okay. But if you are okay with leaving those foods out of your diet, is there a benefit from fast-5 other than having license to eat forbidden treats?

I really wanted to give this a go and succeed and maybe I will try again and allow myself to eat as much as I possibly can in that 5 hour window, even if it's 3000 calories. I just found the hunger so unbearable I wondered what the true objective and true benefit of fast-5 is.

i dont think it gives a license to cheat at all .. if you have issues with the 19 hour fast thats something you have to get your body ready for ... you have to become used to it .. and i suspect some of your "hunger" is mental and not actual physical hunger ..

the idea is to get your body feeding off reserves daily ...

some people can handle fasts better than others .. most days on fast 5 i still just eat 1 meal and thats fine with me .. a little hunger possibly around hour 17-18,. but it subsides quickly, i dont have those hunger pangs etc that people taht are carb adapted get .. mine are easily disregarded

It could have been the carb-adapted hunger. It was real hunger definitely. I mean, stomach growling and everything. All the talk around this forum about how low carb is so bad and you can eat 100+ grams of carbs every day and still lose weight had me attempting that for a while. I didn't find that increasing my carbs had any benefits whatsoever. So I thought perhaps fast-5 would help.

I think I'll go back to low carb, get my hunger under control again, then attempt fast 5. I still would be interested to know from anyone with a lot of experience with it if there's an advantage to it over and above a basic low carb primal diet.
    Last edited by sbhikes; 03-17-2012 at 09:54 AM. Reason: added "primal" to basic low carb diet

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    It could have been the carb-adapted hunger. It was real hunger definitely. I mean, stomach growling and everything. All the talk around this forum about how low carb is so bad and you can eat 100+ grams of carbs every day and still lose weight had me attempting that for a while. I didn't find that increasing my carbs had any benefits whatsoever. So I thought perhaps fast-5 would help.

I think I'll go back to low carb, get my hunger under control again, then attempt fast 5. I still would be interested to know from anyone with a lot of experience with it if there's an advantage to it over and above a basic low carb primal diet.
    How did you add carbs back in? Perhaps you didn't eat enough extra carbs to boost your BMR, or eat them at the right time of day.

You're at a healthy weight for your height, so your body is bound to be putting up a lot of resistance to losing further fat. Do you know what your estimated percentage body fat is?
    Last edited by paleo-bunny; 03-17-2012 at 10:14 AM. Reason: grammar
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

There are so many formulas for calculating body fat so it's hard to be sure. One website puts me at 25 - 30%. I'm right at the edge between a large frame and a medium one. Also, when I look in the mirror I can see plainly I'm barely on the verge of just right. Just a little bit less and I would not be a Victoria's Secret model for sure but I would not have anything to criticize. The fast-5 book says I should be about 115lbs or if my frame size is large, then about 127. So I have about 8lbs to go at minimum.

I added my carbs by eating bigger portions of sweet potatoes or adding root veggies with dinner more often. One day I had 1/2 a banana at "break-fast" and a half a mango for dinner. One day I ate a Lara bar. One day I ate a small sliver of a date and walnut bar. Not an over-the-top quantity of carbs. The most I ate according to my records was 95 net grams.

Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast