Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: who does Fast-5? page 10

touchdowntodd is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    perhaps you could also go into the sugars etc associated with the carbs you listed .. the fruits are sugary or at least more so than regular foods, and the nuts have been shown to make weight loss more difficult as well due to the fatty content and how our bodies handle that .. i know on myself if i ate fruit or nuts every day my weight loss would come to a hault

i personally dont sweat carbs, my body lets me know when it wants more and i have a sweet potato, usually its 1 night a week after a heavy workout or something .. but normally im 30-50g carbs if that ..
    started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    There are so many formulas for calculating body fat so it's hard to be sure. One website puts me at 25 - 30%. I'm right at the edge between a large frame and a medium one. Also, when I look in the mirror I can see plainly I'm barely on the verge of just right. Just a little bit less and I would not be a Victoria's Secret model for sure but I would not have anything to criticize. The fast-5 book says I should be about 115lbs or if my frame size is large, then about 127. So I have about 8lbs to go at minimum.

I added my carbs by eating bigger portions of sweet potatoes or adding root veggies with dinner more often. One day I had 1/2 a banana at "break-fast" and a half a mango for dinner. One day I ate a Lara bar. One day I ate a small sliver of a date and walnut bar. Not an over-the-top quantity of carbs. The most I ate according to my records was 95 net grams.
    OK - 25-30% BF is in the healthy range for your age, so your body is bound to put up a fair bit of resistance to losing more fat. I've seen your photos in your journal and I don't believe you have a large frame - it's medium, tops.

Dinner is the best time to add extra carbs, which is mostly what you're doing. You might see better results eating 150 g carbs some days.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    It's not that the additional carbs made me gain weight or anything. I just could not deal with the sensation of hunger attempting fast-5. I've been doing this long enough that I do have the ability to tell when I'm truly hungry. I've also been able to fast for 23 hours in the past when I was low carb. I haven't fasted for a long time. I normally eat just two meals a day, either lunch and dinner or breakfast and dinner. I thought maybe fast-5 would give me the additional push into a better weight category but man was I ever hungry!

My hunger could have been from drinking black coffee, too, for all I know. I've never drunk black coffee before and it seems to pack a much bigger wallop than coffee with cream.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Kilian is offline Senior Member
    Adding carbs back into my diet actually increased the hunger sensation I get during my fasts, most likely because I also decreased the amount of fat I consumed. And since fat slows down digestion/absorption, without such a large amount, all that protein and carb is digested much more quickly so hunger sensations strike much earlier. However, no hunger pangs have ever been unbearable to me. I just ignore them, think about or do something else, and they usually go away.

touchdowntodd is offline Senior Member
    bump to the top and im feeling great, down another pound this morning!
    started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

Linny is offline Senior Member
    The caffeine in your coffee could be initiating the hunger you're feeling. Caffeine can cause an insulin response which could be causing your glucose to dip and make your body hungry, especially for sweet carbs. Consuming coffee with cream probably blunts the body's reaction.

I haven't done the Fast 5 fasting but am curious. Before the holiday season I was fasting regularly and enjoying it but since the holidays which didn't involve any cheating just lots of stress I haven't been able to fast as easily. Not sure what gives.

Roary is offline Senior Member
    This is so interesting! After close to a year of eating Primal, I have settled into a Fast 5 without even knowing it! At first, I ate a lot -- I was HUNGRY all the time. Then for some reason, I wasn't hungry in the morning anymore but I had a huge loaded salad at lunchtime. Gradually, the salad got simpler, and smaller. Then I stopped having lunch once in a while because I didn't remember to make lunch!

Now I truly eat when I'm hungry ... Usually something small at 4:30, then a decent sized dinner at 6:30 or 7:00 or so. If I'm hungry I'll eat lunch, maybe once or twice a week. Last week I got hungry at 10:00 AM, so I had a veggie omelet. Of course, then I wasn't hungry for lunch. I hadn't needed breakfast for months (ate it occasionally in a social situation) and it hit me how my eating patterns had shifted so dramatically!

I guess my point is, yes, it gets easier ... I am not an overthinker though. FWIW, I'm leaning out too. I don't have a scale or bother with measurements, but I can tell I've got some nice definition happening in the tummy.

VTmeetsMontréal is offline Senior Member
    I asked this question in another thread but people aren't responding, so I guess I will ask it here.

I have been trying to just have one meal a day and I really enjoy it. I have been making it all day with no food which has been surprisingly easy, then I have just had a big dinner and that works for me. However, in the past few days I find myself letting myself eat more and more at night out of boredom and it's borderline binging. I want to move my fasting meal to breakfast because it will give me less time to eat and really force me to eat to satiety, then stop. However, I'm really worried that if I eat breakfast that will be hungry for the rest of the day.

Does anyone only eat a big breakfast, and if so, are there any tricks or advice you would have to make sure you don't feel weak and hungry for the rest of the day?

lopisheep is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure if this counts for you, but I am also doing the one meal a day, but at lunch. That way the day isn't so long (food-wise) and, since it's all over at lunch, eating at night doesn't seem to be such an issue. I drink tea (rooibos or white). It seems to keep me feeling pretty strong and able to function.

I eat a BAS (big ass salad) with fresh spring greens, an avocado, some raisins, cooked vegetables, raw vegetables, some form of meat or fowl in it, olive oil and one orange for dressing, Himalayan salt, and pepper -- AND -- I weigh everyday. I measured today and was impressed, so I think they work together. If the scale is a bad thing for you, skip it, but it, along with measuring every so often, seems to work for me. I'm trying to get more movement in -- at least a plank, some squats, hanging from the pull up bar, and sprinting once or twice a week.

Walking is fun and you can fit your sprints in it. I try to sprint a short distance three times -- whether running during a walk or running in place as fast as I can three times for a short bit. Kind of fun.

Dinner wouldn't work for me as I'd be thinking about it all day and breakfast would do the same as I'd have finished the food part so early. Sometimes, I try to get busy at lunch and eat a later lunch but I don't fight the time.

Good luck with this:-)

Quote Originally Posted by VTmeetsMontréal View Post
    I asked this question in another thread but people aren't responding, so I guess I will ask it here.

I have been trying to just have one meal a day and I really enjoy it. I have been making it all day with no food which has been surprisingly easy, then I have just had a big dinner and that works for me. However, in the past few days I find myself letting myself eat more and more at night out of boredom and it's borderline binging. I want to move my fasting meal to breakfast because it will give me less time to eat and really force me to eat to satiety, then stop. However, I'm really worried that if I eat breakfast that will be hungry for the rest of the day.

Does anyone only eat a big breakfast, and if so, are there any tricks or advice you would have to make sure you don't feel weak and hungry for the rest of the day?

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    checking out this fast 5.. Do you ease into the 5 hour window or just go for it. I have gotten away from IFing- life happens and need to get back to where I was and start losing again. I have plateaued for a while.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast