Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WOW!! This seems way more intense on here than Mark suggested in his books. page

lamoka is offline Senior Member

WOW!! This seems way more intense on here than Mark suggested in his books.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So I went Paleo for awhile a couple years ago for an adrenal fatigue program.. had amazing results all around with it but have steadily gone back to SAD.
    I friend turned me on to Mark and his blueprint approach and when I got the funds together I ordered all four books from Amazon.. they arrived yesterday! Woooohooo!!
    I signed into the forums this morning when the little ones got off to school and this seems so INTENSE on here that I am almost discouraged and starting to regret the idea of it..
    So many do this, and don't do that, and take this supplement and I'm not losing weight, and how come my sex drive is gone and OMG!!!!
    Mark says DON'T STRESS AND DON'T BE SO STRICT AND TAKE IT SLOW AND EASY.. enjoy it, but thats not what I'm reading in the forums..
    Any words of wisdom.. or any threads that have a positive approach would be much appreciated.. or maybe forums just aren't for me.. and I'll stick to the recipe thing.. not bashing just really intimidated by the intensity here..

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Just chill. Live life the way YOU want to. Just because someone freaks out over the exact percentage of one macro over another, or is obsessed with a particular supplement or food, that doesn't mean you have to do the same.

You know that crazy neighbor with 57 cats and a dozen mannequins guarding his backyard? Yeah, he's here too. Being on an internet forum doesn't make anyone sane or intelligent any more than living in your neighborhood does. There are some freaky people here and everywhere.

Take what information is helpful to you and ignore the rest. It's that simple.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    it's not intense, really

the in depth posts you see are from people who've been doing primal a while and are looking more specifically into the nutrition
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    As somewhat of a board vet I can tell you that as more people "discovered" primal it started to get really chaotic and people started running the "if some is good, more is better!" mantra and applied it mostly to carbs. In other words, they took Mark's advice which is to be sensible with carbs and decrease them (in comparison with the carb-heavy standard American diet - SAD) and thought "well, if decreasing carbs helps, eliminating carbs should help even more!" and thus you have... the forum wars of 2010 and onwards.

So yeah, if you like the book just focus on that. My gf had to remind me of that when I myself was going through a "meat only" diet because I too was overly simplistic in my approach and assumed that cutting carbs out completely was the ticket. She opened the book and showed me "see? eat vegetables, eat fruit... you're not doing what this says at all." She was right, but it still took a while for me to get over myself and admit that I was wrong.

I feel much better eating everything that qualifies as "real food" and so should you, so yeah, don't feel bad about "leaving us" we're just people on the internet that have taken a message and gone our own ways.

You will find some sensible folks here, it seems that it's mostly new people, eager to lose weight (I realize not all come to lose weight, but the majority do) and asking how they can accelerate it, and they'll get some replies, some good, some bad.

If your aim is health, which it should be (trust me, any necessary fat loss will follow) then just following the book as laid out is exactly what you should do. Nothing more, nothing less.

Realize too that there are some among us that have been at it for a bit and we have learned enough to want to "hack" our bodies in a safe manner. We utilize the knowledge to our favor by doing things like carb refeeds. (Mark's post on it, Carb Refeeding and Weight Loss | Mark's Daily Apple) This is NOT something Mark advocates, but as you can see in the post he's also not at all against it, he realizes some people want to get to levels of lower body fat, which is NOT his primary aim. He just wants people to reach a healthy homeostasis through a diet free of processed foods and also a life with less stress, etc. So, some of us have gotten hold of our health and we're now experimenting...

There's also just choices, a lot of people prefer to eat foods mostly raw, others (me) prefer mostly cooked/warm foods, some are really into broth making, some have never tried it, some like to eat fermented foods, others don't, some eat more organ meats, some like more fruit, etc etc etc... there is not just ONE approach, what brings us all together is a desire to eat less processed foods, but everything else seems to be pretty personal.

Find what road is best for you, using the guidelines in the book. I would advice, from personal experience and that of many others, to not go severely low carb for an extended period of time. I know some will disagree (as you have already seen) but the amount of people that go low carb and then "come back" to regular carb intake vastly outnumbers those that STAY low carb forever.

Devain is offline Member
    Don't let it discourage you! Some people are a bit intense, but the helpful, supportive people here outnumber any other kind by at least 10:1. This is a far better ratio that you tend to find elsewhere online or in person. My approach to forum information and comments is similar to one of the concepts of Jeet Kune Do:

“Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own.”
    ― Bruce Lee

What Mark outlines works, plain and simple. However, it will not necessarily work in the same exact way for everyone. That's why there is some breathing room built into the system. If you have specific health challenges, then it may be helpful to see what other people with similar challenges have done. It does not mean you will encounter the same problems, or have to handle them the same way.

After slowly and steadily gaining weight on a 1200-1500 calorie a day CW diet, I have been able to lose nearly 25 lbs in 6 weeks on over 2000 calories a day. And the weight loss is the least of the benefits, so much so that I sometimes may get a bit overzealous in recommending it to family and friends. I shoot for 100%, consistently, except when I am willing say f**k it, and do something that is not healthy (like Pizza or Margaritas). I save my 20% for such occasions, and do it without guilt. Others may allow themselves something non-primal, in small quantities, on a regular basis.

There are a lot of people here who believe very strongly in what they are doing, but you will find your own way. It's a blueprint, not a bible. To quote Bruce Lee once again, “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.”
    ďIím not in this world to live up to your expectations and youíre not in this world to live up to mine.Ē ―Bruce Lee

2012: 01/17 238~34% | 03/17 215~28%| 5/17 196~24% | 8/22 188 ~20% (then I got lazy)
    2013: 1/27 190~20%

OlyDogo is offline Junior Member

Cool

I just started a few weeks ago and am following Marks strategy---

I am encouraged by the results from his simple approach ---like with anything they are different levels and as one progresses we will also want to step up to the next level, important thing is GETTING STARTED though and thatís all my focus at the moment---

I read his book and for now am discarding any other advice (later on I will revisit it without a doubt)

--- I think the purpose or reason for doing this CHANGE of life style will influence in the outcome--- for example I am doing it because I want to start FEELING GOOD AGAIN---I want to be able to JUMP out of bed and feel like doing something again--- so far the change has been everything I hoped for, my energy has come back, my body has been actually requesting for more exercise--- I am doing this for the long haul--- it truly is a LIFE CHANGING thing for me---

Find someone to talk to, I have been blessed with a good friend who got me started her handle is Mixie on here and she has lost 90lbs lbs BUT I think her goal and mine are the same TO FEEL GOOD AGAIN, the weight loss just comes with it, we talk every day we cross reference and she helps me when I have a doubt---she is like a mentor so to speak and it helps a great deal.

GET STARTED and focus on YOU, for now disregard what seems over whelming BUT promise yourself to come back to it later---for now ---JUST START--- and focus on it being a LIFESTYLE change.

This is my third week I believe and I feel so dang good itís amazing--- with that FEELING GOOD comes a desire to do a little more and so it will progress--- the reward besides the CONSISTANT energy spike is a loss of 8 lbs and 2Ē off my waste--- I hope this helps you a little bit Lamoka--- BE BRAVE----YOU CAN DO IT, if I can I know others can as well.

I am NO EXPERT I just started but if you need ENCOURAGEMENT--- MAYBE we can help each other--- hit me up via PM or right here is fine as well or hit Mixie up---she is awesome human and I am sure she wont mind helping us out more.

O
    Last edited by OlyDogo; 02-29-2012 at 06:21 AM.
    "If it is againts the law for a man to fend for himself ---then outlaw I am"

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    You're better off not listening to anyone on these forums, including me.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    especially not him
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

denasqu is offline Senior Member
    Funny thing happened along the way to the cave last year. I was humming along doing very well with the primal life and when I started having great success non-primal people started asking me what I was doing. Well, I read just about everything and probably comprehended 20% or less and I just really couldn't explain it thoroughly. Eventually I over-thought everything and got frustrated and quit.

I think having knowledgeable and motivated people to interact with is an invaluable resource but you're right. It's an active forum and can be hard to follow. Got to use that Subscribe feature and pick the forums and threads you want to follow because otherwise it's just too much.... and most importantly... PARTICIPATE.

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Devain View Post
    “Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own.”
    ― Bruce Lee
    Love this!! I agree, and it so accurately describes how I feel about this way of life.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast