Thread: Buying My Food Locally, Where Do I Begin? page

Jokaman70 is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

I've noticed that a lot of people here get their food locally. I understand and appreciate the "greater good" concept but my primary goal is quality and cost effectiveness. I've ordered grass fed beef online but it's a bit pricey. I live in Las Vegas, does anyone know of a co-op, or whatever it's called, where I can get my meat, dairy, and produce locally?

I'm sorry but I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Thanks in advance!

I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

forge Guest

This website was recommended to me just a few days ago. The person used it to find a CSA near them.

http://www.localharvest.org/

Katt is offline Senior Member

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
    Current weight: 199
    Goal: 145

hannahc is offline Senior Member

www.eatwild.com is another good resource, especially for finding local ranchers for beef/eggs/chicken/etc. You can also check www.craigslist.com for grass-finished beef in your area as well, I've found some great deals there because ranchers don't have to pay for advertisement/support a website using craigslist.

You might not ALWAYS get the cheapest food this way, but I just focus on the fact that Americans spend the smallest portion of their income on food of any other nation...we expect cheap food and we're suffering for it. Pay a little bit more for your food now, and hopefully that translates to better health/lower medical costs in the future, and help build a real, local, sustainable food culture in America again.

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Blorton is offline Senior Member

Whoa Hannah! Allow me to e-kiss your feet! lol. I just tried craigslist on a whim and sure enough, there's an attractive listing right there. Thank you so much!

Primal since February 2010. On seventh round of P90x.

My Blathering, Babbling Journal

kennelmom is offline Senior Member

I use localharvest.com to find CSAs for most of our local sourced food. I just discovered eatwild.com the other day and sent that to my hubby (the family "hunter" LOL) to look into...he's excited about it since it lists some meat sources we weren't aware of in our area.

It's a lot cheaper for us to buy beef in bulk, so we're "cowpooling" with a friend of ours on a whole cow - he'll take half and we'll take half and IIRC, it works out to about &3.99/lb. They'll butcher it to our specs and package it in heavy, vacuum sealed packages.

Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

LX
    LX is offline Senior Member

Don't forget to look for farmer's markets. Remember there's no guarantee a seller there is organic and does grass-fed, but unlike a grocery store you can talk to them about their products.

And besides that - farmer's markets are a lot of fun.

hannahc is offline Senior Member

Haha glad I could help Blorton! Hubby actually discovered that little secret for me, I was really surprised.

And LX I agree, farmer's markets are just a lot of fun no matter what Seeing all kinds of crazy vegetables that I've never used before is awesome.

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

adamsaysyo is offline Member

LX - great point about farmer's markets not having any guarantee they are fully grass-fed.

I started buying from a seller here in Santa Monica, CA. After my 2nd purchase, I was reading his brochure at home that I was reading that his cows are given barley grains ... I felt a bit taken, since when I asked him if his beef was "100% grass-fed", he came back with "what's more important question you should be asking people is if its 'grass finished!?". It wasn't until I read his brochure that i realized he never answered my question. I felt kind of taken.