Thread: Chicken Stock experiments page

breadsauce is offline Senior Member

Chicken Stock experiments

I've been reading comments on this site about chicken stock and have experimented with some. Here are some results. All done with chicken carcass + 4 chicken feet in a slow cooker. It was the timings which changed.

12 hours - delicious stock, sets well into a gel.

18 hours - slightly richer stock, gels about the same. Richer smell.

24 hours - good stock, can't really tell any improvement.

36 hours - darker coloured stock, more funky taste, but didn't gel. Has the longer cooking damaged the gelatine?

Next experiment will be with my pressure cooker. But in the slow cooker, I shall go with 18 hours max.

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    That's some commitment!

Commercial kitchens will do just what you're doing - set a pan aside, fill it with bones and water and let it go for a few days. From 100 litres of liquid, they'll get 10, or less. From armchair reading, slow, low and long cooking is what it's about. When I have more space, I'm getting a slow cooker just for bones. 4-8 weeks ... roll on! House move.

Next stock - beef bones, roasted, with a knuckle or calfs foot. Yum!

wildwabbit is offline Senior Member
    Breadsauce, did you ever get your experiment with pressure cooker going?

I am tempted to try slow cooker this time, because I have bad luck with stock pots - I suspect because I use too much water and run the temp too high, haven't figured out the best way yet.

I did use the pressure cooker for chicken stock. One carcass, chopped up, four chicken feet and the gizzard, covered with water, a couple of bay leaves and six pepper corns. Got it to pressure and cooked for 30 minutes. The stock gelled OK and the flavour was good - but I prefer the slow cooker's "put it in and leave it overnight" approach. I really would have liked to cook it for an hour or more, but I kept wondering what would happen if it boiled dry - the steam coming out worried me!

I really only use the pressure cooker for red kidney beans and chickpeas - things like that.

DeilaMiah is offline Senior Member
    When making stock, I always make sure to break them up very well so that the marrow will melt out into the stock. Makes for a richer flavour.
    If you do not stand behind your military, feel free to stand in front of them!

EMAIL ME!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yes, I do that too. And pulverise them quite a bit when they have softened.