Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please clarify the basic concept of IF for me page

adrenalinejunkie is offline Junior Member

Please clarify the basic concept of IF for me

I've noticed that since I started eating primal my appetite throughout the day is not constant. This allows me to go until 6pm or later without eating, so I figured that this was a good time to start intermittent fasting. I've heard that it's a great fat loss method and want to check it out. My friend does this as well, and come dinnertime he eats his day's worth of calories in one sitting (2000+).

My question- the body uses calories as it need them, correct? If there is an excess (body isn't active enough to require those calories), this excess gets stored as fat. How will a body efficiently use 2000+ calories from one meal without converting it to fat? Is this negated by the fat burned during the fasting part of the day for a net loss?

Also, I'm having trouble getting enough calories eating ground turkey (ran out of ground red meat). I'm cooking with coconut oil and olive oil, but with turkey, i'm around 1300 calories for today (I ate a pound of ground turkey meat cooked in coconut oil for dinner totaling give or take 750 calories and 88 grams of protein, along with a bunch of veggies, sun dried tomatoes in olive oil, half a cup of almonds, and a cup and a half of a raspberry, blackberry, and blueberry combo). I'm going to go with my friend to the store and stock up on red meat cuts and chicken, but would I also be alright going with ground red meat (or should I stick to buying cuts of red meat and whole chicken as opposed to ground turkey etc)? I'm a broke college student so I live off of costco. Any input is much appreciated.

Sunnivara is offline Senior Member
    I don't have answers to all your questions, but I'd suggest adding nuts and seeds when you aren't getting enough calories from meat and oils.

Thanks for the answer. Yeah I eat almonds but finished up my pumpkin seeds. Everyone here was telling me to cut those out or eat in strict moderation because of the PUFA content

jhc
    jhc is offline Senior Member
    The basic idea is that intermittent fasting causes you to exhaust your glucose energy store and forces your body to start processing stored fat for energy. If you happen to be awake at this point you can actually feel it happen; your hunger will suddenly 'switch off' (I sometimes notice it on weekends when I sleep in).

There are other benefits such as wakefulness (my mornings are much easier without a lump of food in my gut making me drowsy), and the fact that it is a more 'natural' way to eat in that Grok would have experienced periods of scarcity and plenty (whenever he brought down an animal).

As far as saving money goes, get a slow cooker and use it to prep dinner as well as lunch materials by tossing a roast or a whole chicken in. Five minutes of work will net you a meal and an entire week's worth of high quality lunch protein.

Alright thanks for the info! What about eating 2000+ calories in one meal for dinner when your body won't be very active for the rest of the day? How does the body not convert those to fat? Which kind of roast should I get?

jhc
    Whatever your preferences and your budget dictates! A bird is a bird. Leaner cuts of beef will be tougher but will slice easier, fattier, marbled cuts are more likely to disintegrate into a pulled-pork-like result and will also produce more broth if you want to do something with that. Also consider pork tenderloin, which is generally half the price of chicken breasts.

I can't give you a qualified answer on the one meal thing (which I don't do, I do 18/6 lunch & dinner continually, skipping 2 meals very occasionally for a true fast), however I do have some thoughts for you:

Energy absorption is dictated by the rate at which you digest food, not the rate at which you shovel it into your mouth.

I think about it as follows: if you accept the fact that your body starts to metabolize fat when it runs out of readily available glucose (sensible enough), you can visualize your glucose as a tank which you fill periodically and drains at a (fairly) constant rate. On a 'normal' eating schedule the tank alternates between empty and full many times over the course of the day. Eating in a condensed window lumps things into one long 'full' and 'empty' period. Because the empty period is longer it is more likely to trigger 'survival' processes for converting fat to energy.

Quote Originally Posted by jhc View Post
    Whatever your preferences and your budget dictates! A bird is a bird. Leaner cuts of beef will be tougher but will slice easier, fattier, marbled cuts are more likely to disintegrate into a pulled-pork-like result and will also produce more broth if you want to do something with that. Also consider pork tenderloin, which is generally half the price of chicken breasts.

I can't give you a qualified answer on the one meal thing (which I don't do, I do 18/6 lunch & dinner continually, skipping 2 meals very occasionally for a true fast), however I do have some thoughts for you:

Energy absorption is dictated by the rate at which you digest food, not the rate at which you shovel it into your mouth.

I think about it as follows: if you accept the fact that your body starts to metabolize fat when it runs out of readily available glucose (sensible enough), you can visualize your glucose as a tank which you fill periodically and drains at a (fairly) constant rate. On a 'normal' eating schedule the tank alternates between empty and full many times over the course of the day. Eating in a condensed window lumps things into one long 'full' and 'empty' period. Because the empty period is longer it is more likely to trigger 'survival' processes for converting fat to energy.
    Got it, thanks! Can you elaborate on the 18/6 schedule? I'm trying to get on a schedule that promotes the most fat loss.

jhc
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalinejunkie View Post
    Got it, thanks! Can you elaborate on the 18/6 schedule? I'm trying to get on a schedule that promotes the most fat loss.
    "Skip breakfast." (18 hours fast/6 hours eating window.)

I do it pretty much because it's easier than not doing it. Others may have opinions as far as weight loss goes.

Many people advocate some caffeine consumption during IF as coffee is delicious and the boost to your metabolism generally offsets whatever you get from your drink (black coffee is zero calories). I drink tea with a splash of milk when I get up.

The f/e representation is somewhat misleading because it's not really fasting until you skip a meal (5/19 would probably be a more accurate representation as 7am to 12pm is the deprivation period), but it's what people use!
    Last edited by jhc; 02-29-2012 at 12:41 AM.

Alright thanks! I guess I have to experiment and see what's best for me for fat loss

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Could someone please shed some light on my questions about processing 2000+ calories in one meal after an all day fast, meat choices, and getting enough fat on the days I eat chicken/turkey?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast