Thread: Does my breakfast have enough protein? page

Legerity is offline Junior Member

I was just wondering if my current breakfast that I enjoy every morning is providing enough protein to kick-start the day.

Smoothie:

-Banana

-Strawberries/blueberries

-Big scoop almond butter

-Organic yogourt

I know the yogourt and almond butter are providing some good fats, but the protien content seems a bit low. I know I can add whey but I'd prefer not to unless it's necessary. Greek yogourt seems to be recommended but all the ones I find are non-organic and seem to have extra ingredients that are not in the yogourt I am currently eating, so I'm not sure about it.

Any feedback? I prefer to have only a smoothie for breakfast, rather than adding eggs on the side or anything extra for protein. I have a sensitive stomach and smoothies seem to be easy to digest. For my other meals I am always including a good source of protein like eggs or meat.

Thanks for the feedback!

Brian

Jedi is offline Member

How about adding in a couple of raw eggs to the smoothie?

iniQuity is offline Senior Member

+1 on the eggs, you probably won't even really notice the taste.

Why the aversion to whey?

I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Legerity is offline Junior Member

Eggs sound like a possibility. I haven't read up much on raw eggs, is it safe to do this with omega-3 eggs I get from the supermarket? I haven't yet gotten any from a farm.

Concerning the whey, the only reason was that I am already taking a couple of other supplements and so I'm trying to keep the costs down. But if it is the best option I could certainly add some.

schadowrider is offline Senior Member

On your yogurt: I make my own yogurt (48 ounces per batch) using organic whole goat milk (plan to start looking for a raw source this spring), and I start it using a Yogourmet starter and about 4 ounces of plain "full" fat Fage greek yogurt. I've wanted it to kick butt, so I'm sure I'm doing over kill on the starter -- in theory, I should be able to use the last batch as starter (can do that for maybe 5 or 6 cycles I think?). Also, since I like it thick, I also add a half cu of organic powdered milk to the batch (have only been able to find NF cow so far; am going to look online for a source for powdered goat when I get some time), and I let it "brew" for a longer time which also helps thicken it (and more tang!).

There are quite a few makers on the market, and it's surprising easy to make. Right now I'm using the Donvier maker, which makes eight 6 oz containers per batch. Since my wife really got into the yogurt routine, I plan to pick up a full quart maker soon to make hers (she doesn't like the goat milk version).

The Big L is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Eggs are an awesomely cheap form of protein and fat. I recommend finding a local farm if at all possible for some fresh eggs from free-range chickens. They'll cost 2x or more than what you'd pay in the store, but even then we're talking just a couple dollars a pound for high quality protein and fat.

If you can't find some farm-fresh eggs from free-range chickens, or refuse to pay the premium, then the ones at the supermarket will have to do.