Thread: Working out while sick? page

AmyMac703 is offline Senior Member

Working out while sick?

Primal Fuel
    Ok, first of all, I don't really want a lecture about being a cardio-slave -- I'm training for a climb that's coming up in about 2 weeks, so cardio is a must.
    I've been training 6 days a week for the past couple of months, doing both high and low intensity cardio.

So I have a cold -- I don't usually get sick, especially since going primal, but whatever. Point is, I'm pretty stuffed up and have a sinus headache.

And I haven't worked out since Saturday. I seriously want/need to work out today, so I guess my question is, will it interfere with me getting over this cold? Do most people work out when they're sick?
    Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

bryanccfshr is offline Senior Member
    It depends on how intensley you plan to go at it. If you go at a moderate rate(such as slow moving cardio in the 55% rangew it mahy not hurt and may help you feel better. IF you go and push too hard you will supress your immune system and lose time in your recovery. A nice walk or trot to expend that pent up energy would be nice for you I agree.
    Integrity is what we do when nobody's watching.

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Low intensity(walking or such) can sometimes help to sweat out a bugger of a cold. Just don't over do it.

Mike in Virginia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoccerGrok View Post
    Low intensity(walking or such) can sometimes help to sweat out a bugger of a cold. Just don't over do it.
    This. Your body needs energy to heal itself, but low intensity workouts can help rather than hurt in the recovery effort.
    Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

jhc
    jhc is offline Senior Member
    Do bodyweight strength. Pushups, situps, planks, maybe pullups and squats.

First of all if you get into trouble, or feel dizzy, or whatever, you can just collapse on the floor with no harm done (woo!).

Secondly, it will get the endorphins going (reducing pain), and will get your blood going, warming you up and (hopefully) 'clearing you out'.

Please, please, please give it a try. You will thank me and you will thank yourself. I always feel better after doing bodyweight strength, particularly when I am feeling sick, unless it is painful to exercise (i.e. you have a broken arm).

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    I never recommend people train unless they feel up to it but I always train through minor ailments regardless. The wisdom of resting to get over something was always lost on me - when I rest things usually get worse

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Some things require rest, PERIOD! I find that my body will tell me when that's the case. A minor cold and I generally do something, perhaps a walk at least. I may hit the weights too and adjust intensity accordingly. It's all about listening to your body. There is zero point in exercise if it breaks you down and worsens a condition. That makes no sense at all.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    What Coach Palfrey said.....I've read over the years that if you have a fever you should rest your body, but if it's just a head cold you can continue to exercise as long as you are feeling up to it.

AmyMac703 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I walk to/from work every day, and walking home made me feel a lot worse (could be that it was below freezing out though), so I ended up just resting last night. I feel better today (though still not 100%) so I think I'll try some low-intensity cardio and maybe some weights this evening. On the squats I'll just start off with a little less weight than normal and see how I do, if no problems than I'll just do what I normally do.
    Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/