Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Primal Dog Food Thread page

carlh is offline Senior Member

Another Primal Dog Food Thread

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The grain-free food we get for our German Shepherd is about $2/lb anyway so today I bought a bunch of chicken and ground beef that was $2/lb just figuring that "fresh" is better anyway. I'm still poking around for cheaper cuts of meat but that's not the main question.

Question: Is there any benefit or detriment to cooking the meat before giving it to her? I know she'll generally be fine with bits of raw meat, but what about larger portions of likely CAFO meat? And is it any different for chicken or beef?

I suppose that I know a lot of people feed raw - what's the reason behind it? Convenience? and is the animal missing out or benefiting from it?

I'm kind of planning on portioning it out into individual servings and keeping them frozen, and just giving her a chunk of frozen beef/chicken to gnaw on - give her something to do while we're at work. How do you do it?

Here she is, by the way:
    Last edited by carlh; 02-28-2012 at 02:25 PM.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Pretty dog! Even if her tapeta lucida make her look like a demon in the camera flash.

Just make sure you don't cook anything with bones in it. Raw bones crack into chunks, but cooked bones can splinter into sharp shards. No good on the ol' digestive tract, and dogs, being generally morons, will just gulp them down.

I feed mine mostly skin-on, bone-in chicken, with a significant amount of chicken eggs, beef liver, and miscellaneous meat and gristle scraps from our dinners. He does great on it, good coat and teeth, lots of energy, mild breath. No issues so far.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

KimInGA is offline Senior Member
    I think the benefit to raw is that you can feed them the bones too, which have the marrow and other good nutrients. My sister has a huge German Shepherd that she feeds 100% raw. He is super healthy and seems to be doing great on it. He's never eaten dog food before. Sometimes they give him a frozen chunk, especially if it is hot outside (we live in Georgia). Normally they let it defrost though. They'll just dump out the pile of chicken thighs or whatever and let him go to town.

Quote Originally Posted by KimInGA View Post
    I think the benefit to raw is that you can feed them the bones too, which have the marrow and other good nutrients. My sister has a huge German Shepherd that she feeds 100% raw. He is super healthy and seems to be doing great on it. He's never eaten dog food before. Sometimes they give him a frozen chunk, especially if it is hot outside (we live in Georgia). Normally they let it defrost though. They'll just dump out the pile of chicken thighs or whatever and let him go to town.
    Yep, that's what we do. Chicken thighs (or backs if you can get them) are usually a good deal, too.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    My parents' dogs have pretty much always had raw meat and bones. There's really no need to cook it, since a dog's gut is designed to handle the bacteria present in raw meat. And raw bones are excellent for a dog's dental health. Even a mostly or all CAFO raw meat and bones diet puts dogs and cats way ahead of the standard in terms of health and longevity. The only time our dogs go to the vet is when they need more heartworm preventive!

Big bags of chicken leg quarters are a great deal. If you have a good butcher you can ask for odd cuts and trim pieces. Offal is excellent too, and dogs LOVE it. We call chicken livers "puppy candy".

That is a good point about leaving frozen stuff for hot summer days. I like that. I think I'll just keep a big ziplock bag of chicken and beef in the fridge. Wad for the dog, wad for my skillet. That's what I did tonight when I got home. I gave her a fist sized lump mixed in with her normal dog food and mashed another fist sized lump in my skillet for a giant burger.

I can get her a great deal at the public market; a big sack full of sectioned up cow femurs (with marrow, fat, all that good stuff) for $4.

...and it looks like I'll have to adjust her to it more slowly than I was hoping, seeing as I was up at 5 this morning cleaning dog poo off my staircase landing.

German Sheperds can have surprisingly delicate digestive systems. Baby steps!

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    ...and it looks like I'll have to adjust her to it more slowly than I was hoping, seeing as I was up at 5 this morning cleaning dog poo off my staircase landing.

German Sheperds can have surprisingly delicate digestive systems. Baby steps!
    Haha, yeah, that can happen. Kibble and canned food is pretty much sterile compared to raw meat and probably a different set of enzymes need to be ramped up to handle the digestion properly, too. I would do the slow replacement thing rather than a wholesale switch if I were you, but you probably figured that out.

My Primal Journal

Mt Goat is offline Junior Member
    Hey Carlh,

I too have a german shepherd that we're thinking about getting off the processed dog food. She's 4 1/2 yrs old and is looking mighty thick. We switched her to one of the grain free foods, but i think they're still really high in carbs. Hows the raw food going with your shepherd? What's working so far? Would love to know how it's going.

Mt Goat is offline Junior Member
    Also, do you have a sense of how much by weight you're feeding your dog per day? The "wild" grain free stuff is expensive. We basically go through 15 lb bag in 2 weeks, so she's roughly eating a pound per day and still always hungry!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast