Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Stronger, Better, Faster, Happier page

Kakes is offline Senior Member

Stronger, Better, Faster, Happier

Primal Fuel
    When I posted yet another blurb on the "Share a Triumph" thread, I realized I'd been doing that a lot lately and that I should probably start a journal.
    Here's my intro:
    I'm 29, 5'8" and pretty athletic. I talk a lot. This could get wordy.

I grew up in a large family with a sister and a bunch of boys. My parents are health nuts. Sometimes I thought they were just plain nuts. Dad is a religion teacher, a chiropractor and a homeopathic doctor with a passion for health and helping others. Mom is a mom...incurably cheerful, with a passion for the arts and loving people- especially her kids. Together they raised 8 gorgeously athletic and dynamically talented people. It's no wonder I grew up passionate and excited about almost everything! I'm a voracious learner. My husband (WarlordBlade) and my 4 kids are AMAZING.
    In high school I held women's weight lifting records in bench press and leg press. I grew up dancing, doing karate, and playing every sport I could get into. I got married at an athletically trim size 8 and 160-165 lbs. I spent the beginning of my marriage and 2 pregnancies rebelling against everything my parents taught me health-wise. Whole CAFO milk, sugar and white bread for me! I knew it wasn't what was best, and I had a lot of depression and hormone issues during that time and between pregnancies. So in 2005, with a 3 year old and a baby, I found myself weighing in at 206 and an hour-glassy size 16. My family is genetically gifted all the way down the line, so at family reunions (if and when we showed), I felt like a cow- a grain fed one.
    I concentrated more on accepting and loving myself than doing anything about it, but I did rediscover my love for fitness- when I took off my shoes for good in 2006 and started running again. My old hip injuries that had plagued me for years practically disappeared. Going barefoot changed my life. I'm not sure when it clicked back in, but eventually I gravitated back to some healthier eating habits. Somewhere in there, WLB started developing some awful allergies- environmental and dietary. We had some harrowing family experiences. I watched my 16 year old cousin die at a family reunion (the first one I'd ever enjoyed up until that point), and found solace in The Anatomy of Peace and in gospel. I picked up yoga practice again. After a rough pregnancy with my 3rd little, I decided I was done having kids and told my body it was go time. WLB's mama introduced me to The Original Fast Foods book in 2008. We went almost v*gan for 2 years. We only had meat about once a week (usually chicken or fish), but we did eat a lot of whole, real food. WLB and I did P90X and got pretty ripped. We also started running more. I spent a lot of time in the kitchen and a lot of time working out. The OFF diet did nothing we had hoped for the hubs' allergies. Summer of 2009 I hit my lowest weight since adulthood- 153. I felt powerful. Then I found out I was pregnant. My pregnancies only got harder each time and I knew this. I sat on the bathroom floor with that positive pregnancy test and my 15 month old banging on the door, and just sobbed. After a few good weeks of being a crying, crippled mess, I decided I was going to make the best of it all. I tried to keep exercising, but my genetically loose joints and prior hip injuries roared with a vengeance. I roared back. I got every book on pregnancy and birth I could find. I hired a home birth midwife (the smartest woman I've ever met). I made powerful and proactive research and I learned. Oh, how I learned. In March of 2010, I had the best experience of my life, birthing my baby daughter in our home. I laughed through it. It was amazing.
    Pulling my broken and worn body back together after that pregnancy was not amazing. The weight wouldn't shed, but I was content to accept my size 12, 174 lb self for a while. I was introduced to essential oils by a friend, devoured every bit of research I could find, and began teaching classes. Said friend and I published a cookbook together. I started running more, and did the Wasatch Back Ragnar Relay in 2011. My 12s were still tight. We toyed with the idea of going gluten free for the kids sake. WLB had been frequenting MDA for a while and I started reading as well. We laughed when we found we'd both considered buying the PB 21 Day Transformation book for Christmas for each other. We started the program on January 2nd. I tend to take people with me on my "self discovery" journeys. So by the time we started, my in-laws and WLB's brother and wife were on board as well. My sister-in-law has lost over 20 lbs to date and she looks incredible! I've lost 14 lbs, gone down to a loose size 9/10 pants, and discovered how useless the scale is. I can do pull ups and push ups and crazy yoga poses I never thought I'd be able to. My sexy beast of a husband has banished his tiny little spare tire and has a V shape that keeps us pretty busy in the after hours. His allergies are improving steadily. Our kids are awesome and have taken to Primal living beautifully. We are all a LOT nicer people without grain and sugar!
    We get a lot of questions about PB and we are sharing generously with those who ask. It is brilliant to see the positive change in the lives of others! It's been a fantastic journey so far!!
    You don't have to be sick to get better.
    Female, 31 years old, 5'8"
    Primal start: 1/2/2012
    My Primal Journal
    Living, loving and learning.

Since this information is floating around my desk on the back of a piece of paper that my 2 year old has scribbled on copiously, I figure it's best to put it down here.
    I stopped putting so much stock in weight and started measuring just over a month in.
    ............... 2/6 ... 2/15 ... 2/21 ... 2/28
    Bust ...... 37.5 ... 37.5 ... 37.5 ... 37.5
    Waist ...... 29 .... 28.5 .... 27.5 .... 27
    Hipline ..... 40 .... 38.5 .... 37 ..... 36
    Hips/Butt 42.5 ... 41.5 ... 40.5 ... 40
    Mid Thigh . 23 .... 22 ...... 21 .... 20.5

Progress!
    My Primal Journal

Insane Grok is offline Senior Member
    great progress! i never took my measurments two years ago and i wished i had, but i started this year

and good story, get as wordy as you want

WarlordBlade is offline Senior Member
    Fantastic progress!
    You are an inspiration and motivation for me for sure!
    Although you really should stop surpassing me in yoga poses!!
    ~It's All Relative!~
    34 - 5'11" CW - 159 GW - 175 10% BF or less!

Primal Journal
    Fitness Blog - Instagram
    Join me on Fitocracy

Quote Originally Posted by Insane Grok View Post

and good story, get as wordy as you want
    Thanks Insane. Be careful what you wish for!

And thanks WLB. You're awesome. <3
    My Primal Journal

I've been doing 14 hr IFs whenever I feel like it lately- which usually ends up being 2-3 times a week. Yesterday I settled happily into one- skipped breakfast and figured I'd eat around 10 or 10:30. Well I got busy- had TONS of energy. Then I decided I wanted to do some tabata sprints on the bike before eating. So I did.... and then I wasn't hungry. I just felt awesome for like... another hour and a half! I think by the time I chowed down on a bacon and veggie egg scramble and some leftover primal shepherd's pie, it had been close to 18 hours. I ended up doing a bunch of pull ups sporadically throughout the day- as I am prone to do now (addictive!), and just had to practice handstands and forearm headstands and scorpion pose. I think I get a lot more exercise during the day than I am aware of most days.
    Fast forward to today- hungry for breakfast at 8:30. Bacon, eggs, greek yogurt/fruit/veg smoothie (we ran out of coconut milk). Now here I am at not even noon, slurping a big bowl of Chicken Bacon Brussels Sprout Soup (NOM!) after doing some heavy lifting just because it felt good. So this is what listening to your body looks like.
    Speaking of listening to my body- cutting dairy way back. I love cheese and greek yogurt. But with the gallon of raw milk, and the logs of fresh mozzarella in the deli drawer (that I adore with bosc pears), I've been overdoing it lately. Phlegm *hack* and a bloaty tummy are not pleasant companions. Probably a significant contributor to my recent weight plateau as well. Husband says my tum probably only looks squishier because the rest of me is skinnier. Even if it isn't true, I'll keep him. He's good for me.
    My Primal Journal

PrimalAshley is offline Member
    I noticed you said going barefoot helped your hip pain. I notice as I lose weight and exercise more that my hip pain increases. Could you tell me how you went barefoot? Did you buy the VFF's or...??? Thanks!
    p.s. I love your avatar - I tried to enlarge it but it wouldn't do so...could you post it in the thread?

Hi Ashley! I started barefooting in 2006. Mostly I just took it slow. Took off my shoes, strengthened my feet and let my body adjust. I didn't purchase a pair of barefoot shoes until the end of 2011. (Altra Eve's, not VFFs- my toes are the wrong shape for them.) I had a lot of support from the barefoot running community- on yahoo and Barefoot KenBob over at runningbarefoot.com. The Society for Barefoot Living was a good support at first as well. I did a lot of research and basically re-learned how to walk and run. The Chi Walking and Chi Running books by Danny Dreyer are an awesome resource for proper movement and form. I think the most important thing- barefoot or in barefoot shoes, is to take it slowly, get strong, and listen to your body. You'll find what works for you!
    Oh, and here's my avatar pic . The pose is called Astavakrasana.
    Last edited by Kakes; 02-29-2012 at 11:29 AM.
    My Primal Journal

PrimalAshley is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So awesome!!! You may just be my new hero LOL I will look into those websites.

Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast