Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2634353637 LastLast

Thread: Stronger, Better, Faster, Happier page 36

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Shop Now
    There's nothing on my Facebook that I don't talk to Hulky about anyway. I don't think he's as active on FB as I am, but he still checks it at least once a day. He doesn't read my blog anymore, I don't think, mostly out of laziness. And, again, these are things I talk to him about outside of the interwebz. I definitely feel that the problems with relationships and social media are rooted in communication issues in the relationship, not in the form of communication.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Kakes is offline Senior Member
    So WLB and I took our BF measurements with calipers today (took each others actually). I've been curious for a while.
    A year ago I had my blood work and caliper measurements done and measured about 23%. I was cool with that, but knew I could do better. I've only done approximate measurements since then.
    I put in the mm caliper measurements, did the math and was super confused. So I went to another method/calculator, and was even more confused.
    Here's the run down.
    Parillo 9 site: 10.7% (Hahahahahaha! I can say without any doubt that this is incorrect. I'm not even close to that lean!)
    Jackson/Pollock 7 site: 11.98%
    Jackson/Pollock 4 site: 13%
    Jackson/Pollock 3 site: 14.4%
    Durnin/ Womersely: 18.10%
    Loose tape Measurement: 21.29%
    Tight tape measurement: 16%
    So I get to pick what sounds best to me? I'm pretty darn sure that at least 3 or 4 of those are wildly inaccurate. How is one supposed to know their body fat % without paying a bazillion dollars to have it done with fancy machines?
    I guess as long as I feel good and look good, it doesn't really matter. The scale has failed me completely and I hoped to rely on BF% instead, but apparently that's not so accurate either. I'd rely on the mirror, but my self perception as of late lacks accuracy for sure. I need to let it go and just be. I really want to let it go. It's just so hard to let it go. WHY? Why is it so hard to let go?!
    You don't have to be sick to get better.
    Female, 31 years old, 5'8"
    Primal start: 1/2/2012
    My Primal Journal
    Living, loving and learning.

No sage words here, but relying on #s of any kind, scale or calipers, is probably not going to do you any good in the exact same way. Hell, even the mirror can be deceptive. Definitely something that takes time to embrace.

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Do you have any of the clothes you wore before you started your Primal journey? Put those on if you really want to know how you are doing.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

It's not so much a matter of how far I've come in the past year or more... I know that. It's kind of more that I'm lost as to where I go now. I'm pretty much past the fat loss goal. I'd like to trim a touch more here and there, but I don't know what else I want. Do I want to build more muscle? Should I keep up the LHT I've bumped up in the past 2 weeks? My body tends to bulk easily, so I feel like I should be careful. The maintenance mentality is pretty foreign to me. I just want to keep the fat off and stay strong now. Sometimes I catch myself in nitpicky obsessions, and I do NOT want to be that girl. I've just lost and gained it back in the past and I don't want to go there either.

In other news, things work themselves out in a funny sort of way sometimes. Remember last Sunday's rant about kids and food? Well I had to sub again for the same class this week. Guess what the assigned lesson was? Healthy food. It actually went really well and was fun. I made a game with healthy food cut outs and non-healthy cutouts (drugs, alcohol, excess sweets) and let the kids take turns picking and sorting out what was healthy and what wasn't. I told a story and we talked about how having healthy bodies helps us be happier people. I kept it simple and non-controversial, but I didn't teach anything I didn't believe. The kids were much better behaved this week and even the mom who argued with me last week was sweet after class when she saw that her son had had fun and was un-brainwashed. I didn't bring a snack or treat, and when the kids asked me why, I told them it was because they didn't like what I brought last week and I was worried about bringing something they would get mad about again. I didn't make a big deal about it, but I think they got the point. If you're rude about treats, you don't get them next time. I told them that maybe the next time I subbed I would think about bringing something. They said, "Please maybe could we have red apples?"
    I'll count that as a win.
    My Primal Journal

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Yes, continue the heavy lifting. It does nothing but good for your body, muscles, bones and all. So what if you bulk up a little? A toned woman is a beautiful woman. I spent many years doing heavy lifting (hay bales, etc) and only got compliments on how nice my arms and back looked. Better to have muscle and not need it than need it and not have it.

Win-win with the kids!
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Once again with the online neglect. Sorry guys. Really really. I miss your input.

I don't remember ever being this mentally busy. Between YTT and homeschooling and trying to fit everything else in, it's madness. But homeschooling has provided this incredible buffer of long mornings with the kids and projects that we work on together. I also have regular hikes/runs with Mara- to the tune of 3 times a week usually. They lift my spirit and lighten my heart and let me stay my best self.

Random Highlights...
    Mother's Day weekend. Mara invited me and a few other misfit moms to her condo in Park City where we hiked for hours on end, treated ourselves to lunch, picked through vintage consignment shops and odd boutiques, practiced yoga, explored chocolate and specialty olive oil and vinegar shops, made marvelous food, did puzzles and talked til all hours of the night, and then woke up early to make more marvelous food and hike some more. WLB got me more weight plates for Mother's Day (huzzah!), and Matt and Alicia got me new very grippy wide-toe-box running shoes.

This past Tuesday, after working my tail off to prep, we got CHICKENS!
    Our friends were going on vacay for Memorial Day and called to ask if we could either care for the chickens, or move them to our house along with their coop before Thursday. So the kids and I got to work Monday clearing and leveling the area for a coop. Then Tuesday morning we were off to Home Depot. There I was with 4 kids and a flat cart tracking down the cinder blocks and pavers. The man that came across us in the back corner of the warehouse looked mildly confused and amused. There was this barefoot woman with 4 kids lined up on the flat cart, talking them through math problems. I presented them with the desired dimensions of our cinder block platform, the dimension opinions of blocks that we had, and asked them to help me figure out how many pavers we needed. Then we figured out what would be most cost effective, and they helped me load the cart with pavers and mortar, after which we headed for the chicken wire and fencing posts. We loaded and unload the van together, and they helped me level more of the ground, measure and place the pavers, mix the mortar and kept the coop foundation (and all of us) wet as I mortared the foundation. We had a quick healthy dinner of taco salads and Boy child #1 watched the youngest while the other two came along to go get the trailer and move the coop and 4 ladies. Suddenly, we had our small farm. What wonderful friends we have! We love our chickie ladies! They are laying eggs for us already and I'm hoping to get 4 more to add to the flock. The kids are obsessed! They have spent hours on end outside, caring for them, following them around, and just watching them. They read out there, they eat out there, they play out there. It's marvelous!!
    And now, true to form.... random pictures!!

Chickens! Meet Madame Fire, Miss Ruby, Chickerella and Gingerpants (the kids each got to name one.)

Primal adventures!

(to be cont...)
    My Primal Journal

This is what home schooling looks like!

I took the kids to a bunch of Museums- including the Mummy display at The Leonardo. It was incredible (but they didn't allow pictures).
    My Primal Journal

Gorgeous, as always (yes, even the chickens).

Thanks wonder! <3
    My Primal Journal

Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2634353637 LastLast