Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Stronger, Better, Faster, Happier page 33

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I hope you guys and the kiddies start feeling better soon!

Your resolve in the face of "ick" and difficult conditions is really impressive.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Kakes is offline Senior Member
    I figure that if I can make it through four au natural child births, I can make it through a few miles... or 8... miles... of crappy running. It's true, the climb was impressive (over 3000 ft of vert). It's amazing the kind of confidence even one well-prepared birth gives you for the rest of your life!

Happy to report that the kiddos are doing much better. Fevers are down and much less whining is happening. I am just hoping to get some sleep tonight. Last night was not awesome. Girl child 2 had feverish nightmares and yelled for half the night. I slept a few fitful broken hours perched on the edge of her bed periodically comforting her and convincing her I wasn't a monster trying to steal her toys/a bad guy/Flynn Rider/Rapunzel/a mean man/or the Lorax. I stumbled up and down the stairs at least 5 times in the night. Makes for one sleepy mama. We are all still hacking over lung irritation from coughing so much, but we had a storm blow the inversion out and we could see the sky today!! We had to take a foot of heavy new snow to get clean air, but at this point, I'll take it! Plus, snow shoveling is a great workout- especially when it's heavy and you have to fling every shovelful significant distance because the piles near the edges of walkways are too piled up to not just tumble back into your path. Yay for default shovelglove workouts!

I am also quite pleased to report that my legs have been quite functional since our "run". My calves and abs are a little sore and my hammies and inner thighs feel the stretch for sure, but nothing any other good workout hasn't handed me. I'm actually pretty darn proud of how well my body is handling recovery.
    You don't have to be sick to get better.
    Female, 31 years old, 5'8"
    Primal start: 1/2/2012
    My Primal Journal
    Living, loving and learning.

We had a good few days of clean air... and the haze is coming back. It's been warm and sunny enough to melt some of our crazy snow accumulation and the massive icicles that are everywhere. I've been able to go out and about barefoot a couple of times. Makes me happy.
    I had an epic breakfast this week that must be recorded. 3 eggs scrambled with HWC and kale, served with fresh salsa and avocado cream sauce along with 3 strips of bacon, and about 1/2 cup of a fermented blend of cabbage, apple, orange, onion and garlic with one more strip of crispy bacon crumbled into it. It was so. dang. good.

Yoga on Wednesday was fantastic as usual. I was super tired and my breathing was weird from this lingering cough/larygnitis I've had, so savasana was more rest than inspiration, but that's just how it is sometimes. At least I didn't fall asleep and snore!

Just started TTOM which, rather than making me moody angry mean, has been making me depressed, bloaty and crazy tired lately instead. It sucks. I hope it's over fast.
    Saturday's run was... interesting.
    Alicia wanted a short run (She finally announced her pregnancy to the fam! I'm so happy! I've known for weeks and had to check myself in conversation constantly!). The boys had already bagged Mt. Olympus that morning, but WLB and Matt wanted some more miles, so that came with us on one loop of the vitacourse (about 1.5 miles) and then WLB and I ran to the mouth of Adam's Canyon on the BST and back (about 3.35) for almost 5 miles total. (WLB's total for the day was 11.5). The day was warm, sunny and gorgeous! The problem was within the first few steps my snow trax stretched too far and popped off my feet. I couldn't get them to stay on for more than a couple of steps. I don't know if it was due to the warmth or the hard packed snow on the trail or what, but it was horrible. I finally ditched them and just ran in my zero traction Eves. Again with the slipping and sliding. Makes for slow going and a killer mean workout on the lower abs, hips and legs. The snow texture was crunchy and sharp with unpredictable depth from step to step and the trails were pitted and packed. Running off trail was like punching post holes. It kind of sucked, but the company was good!

Here's a pic of me angry at my snow trax:

And here's Matt, Alicia and me relaxing on the white sand beaches of Kaysville, Utah. (picture credit to WLB.)
    My Primal Journal

Beautiful scenery. I hope the congestive crud clears up soon! If you can, try a mix of any green tea steeped with Tazo Calm. It really helps to clear things up. Naiadknight calls it the Kill Everything tea .

Congrats to Alicia!

It's been too long since I updated. Too long to really catch up on. Which is a shame, because I have great pictures. But most of those who read my musings and respond regularly are my facebook friends (or live with me), so you've probably seen them already!

I'm just going to skip ahead then.
    I've been running once a week- sometimes in blizzards (so fun). I've had steady once a week yoga class and intermittent and random meditation and personal solo yoga practice. I've been trying to throw the PEMs and weights back in there too. I've been doing okay on food- but I think I just developed lactose intolerance (thanks mom). I refuse to give up butter and occasional cream, cheese, sour cream, yogurt, homemade ranch and ice cream. So I took my dad's advice and bought some lactase. It helps. No more stabby-gonna-die belly followed my a noxious cloud of death. Weight went up to 155 (152-153 on the original scale) and has been there fairly consistently. Boo. I keep having to tell myself that happens in winter. I'm ready to be out in the sun and active more continuously. I'm also having some odd-for-me hormone stuff (TOM is 2 days late), which could account for the small weight gain. I lost almost all the winter gain a few weeks ago, and now it's back- but I've increased my activity and tightened up the diet some, so go figure. There's got to be something else at play. Honestly, I can't complain. My "issue" is a 7 lb weight fluctuation in a still-pretty-ideal-for-me weight range. It'll work out. Silly to stress over it- even if it does nag a bit at me.
    The sun is shining today and the snow is melting. Girl child #2 (youngest of the 4) turned 3 on Friday. She is a gem. I took the kids to the zoo Thursday (all by myself! yay me!) and the Aquarium with my parents Friday. Today we went on a sunny walk around the backside trail of Lagoon Amusement park and saw Buffalo and Elk (they looked delicious). We took my nephew along. There was much play to be had today. Girl child 1 and I had awesome one on one reading and racing time outside in the sunshine while the youngest took an extended spontaneous nap and the boys were at a home school group. When I woke up this morning I thought today would suck, but it has turned out to be a very happy day indeed.
    My Primal Journal

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    So good to see you back. I was wondering how the homeschooling was going.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Sounds like all good things. I picked up some Lactase last night after reading your post. Been having symptoms on lactose intolerance since September and haven't bothered getting any yet. I want to enjoy a meatzza from time to time!

Thanks honeybuns! Things are going well. We've fallen into a mostly unschooling pattern with some field trips and TJed thrown in here and there. I do wonder whether I need to implement some deliberate subject teaching curriculum now and then, but we'll see. We've got time.

Namelesswonder I hope the lactase helps you too. It isn't perfect for me, I still get a little gassy and I have to take it before any meal with dairy, but it helps a lot!

An acquaintance texted me the other day and asked if we could go out on the mountain together. She hasn't run seriously in years because of an ankle injury, but she loves to hike. Honestly, this is a woman I have been seriously intimidated by. She's a former lawyer turned mom of two- married to a lawyer. She's extremely direct, very fit, beautiful and well off. I was hesitant. She wanted to go during the morning when I'm home with my kids, so I was hesitant to leave them alone. But I've been trying to say yes to life's offerings more, so I did just that- I said yes. We met near her very large house in the foothills this morning and headed up the switchbacks, just talking away. We surprised each other with conversation topics. Everything just flowed. Before we knew it, we'd hiked 4 miles and sat chatting in her driveway. It's amazing what you can find to love about people when you just open up to each other. Turns out we went to the same high school- she graduated 12 years before I did. I had no clue she was that much older than I am. I would have been even more intimidated had I known. :P She was a band and drama geek. I was a choir and drama geek. It also turns out that she inadvertently intimidates a lot of people, and thus has few close friends, but she's just a mom, wanting what other moms want- for her kids to be active, happy and social, for her husband to love, understand and see her, and to have a little something of her own that allows her to be her. I'm excited to go out with her again next week.
    My Primal Journal

Yoga Teacher Training starts tonight!!!!! WOOT! **happy dance!!**
    My Primal Journal

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Kakes you are truly an inspiration in so many, many ways.

Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast