Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Stronger, Better, Faster, Happier page 3

Kitmao is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Yes, dairy stays in our home (as does wheat) because my husband is not primal. So, I do my best to keep our daughter primal, but it's challenging with two opposing diets going on in the house. I don't feel too terrible about it. I'm the one with the most influence on her at this point, so...

Ah, tiny babies are just crazy to see (in a too cute kind of way). My niece was just at 6lbs when she was born and she's been very slow to gain weight. She's 6 months now at only 12 pounds, and crawling! It is just so surreal to see a baby that small crawling around.

Kakes is offline Senior Member
    I don't usually IF two days in a row- not for any specific reason, I just don't. But this morning I just didn't feel the need to eat! I baked up bacon, scrambled up some eggs and washed up strawberries and blueberries for my munchkins and didn't want to eat. So I slipped a couple pieces of bacon in to the fridge for later and fasted until 10:30 or so- almost a 16 hr fast. No specific workout today, just basked in the long awaited sunshine with my girlies. We ran and chased and I taught them cartwheels, burpees and crow pose (yoga). I captured the princesses (they dressed me up as a bandit) and imprisoned them in the dungeon (the back yard). We put the littlest down for a nap and then the princess and I came back out where she promptly discovered a stubborn patch of unmelted snow. She went in, donned a hat and gloves and decided it was time to make a snowball. She then hid it from me behind a tree, insisted that I close my eyes, led me to the hiding place and shouted "Surprise!!" I did my best gasping and acted so very amazed. Then I built up the snowball even bigger, added some twigs, pebbles and a half walnut shell, and made it into a little creature. I guess that made me the most villainous mommy in the history of mommyhood, because that little girl was irate. I was trying so hard not to laugh at her anger, but it was so misplaced and so sincere as to be irresistibly adorable. She wanted the snowball to be an egg, so upon the removal of twigs and such, we patched up the holes ("it's like magic!") and promptly gathered enough twigs to make the egg a nest. At which point the little princess became the mama bird and petted, cooed and caressed her egg into hatching (of course it was my duty to sculpt it into a bird- leaf wings and all). She sobbed when she realized her baby bird would soon melt and she couldn't keep it forever. Gotta say- cutest and most entertaining outside time/workout ever. Completely worth the time.

B- IF
    L- early: 2 eggs, 2 strips of bacon, a cup of ground beef,
    4 smallish strawberries, a handful of blueberries
    S- 2 clementines
    D- Salmon burger patties (packed with veg, made with eggs, Parmesan and coconut flour), steamed broccoli, Parmesan baked zucchini
    Dark Chocolate- probably more than I should have had (maybe 3 or 4 squares?)
    You don't have to be sick to get better.
    Female, 31 years old, 5'8"
    Primal start: 1/2/2012
    My Primal Journal
    Living, loving and learning.

WarlordBlade is offline Senior Member
    I think you had just the right amount of chocolate!

Maybe she would have been happier if you'd fried the egg...
    ~It's All Relative!~
    34 - 5'11" CW - 159 GW - 175 10% BF or less!

Primal Journal
    Fitness Blog - Instagram
    Join me on Fitocracy

I broke the plateau!!!!! I seriously thought my scale had a glitch that kept me at 160 forever. I was starting to accept that I'd just never hit the 150s and would just have to not care about it. Stepped on the scale this morning at 159! (Seriously, why weight matters at all to me is just stupidly beyond my conscious control, since I pooped and was 157 and ate and was 159 again, and I'll probably be 161 by bed time.) Pardon me while I victory dance....... *jams out to the personal theme music in her head*..... Okay I'm done.

Now I will discuss some strange anomalies that have happened in my girly life. The squeamish that don't want to know may skip the rest of this entry. You've been warned.

Brief-ish background. I've always had heavy periods- like my mom and my sister before me. I assumed it was a hereditary curse. Long ago I figured out how chemically sensitive my hormones were. I had a 2 month long period and severe anemia while breastfeeding and eventually purged my life of all parabens and xenoestrins. Of course, girly things change with each baby and hormones change and after the 4th and last kid, I settled into this ultra-crazy-heavy-anemic knock-me-out-for-days curled-in-a-ball type of 8 day long period. I lost more than 10 times the amount of blood than the average woman's period produces. I figured out some essential oil remedies that cut that number in half and took my period down to 5-6 days with only 3 being knock-me-out days. This was all Pre-PB. My 2 periods on PB have steadily gotten lighter and shorter, without the anemia or cramping and only 1 PMS Mrs. Hyde day. They are very regular- 28 days on the dot. I was pretty okay with that.
    Then comes about 2 weeks ago when I could no longer ignore Grizz's iodine post monomania without doing a little research for myself. I've always had questions about my thyroid health despite docs dismissing me as "just fine". So I ordered some kelp tablets and started a 225 mcg (small dose compared to the 12 mg Japanese dose Grizz has been touting) supplementation. The first day, no difference, the second, my thyroid got all swollen and my neck felt uncomfortable. So I did a salt-load, gave myself 2 days without, and after symptoms stopped I started on a 1 day on, 2 days off schedule. I still get the swelling once in a while, but it's not as bad. I'm trying to figure out if I need this or not. If I need lots more and my thyroid is sitting up and begging, or if I need to just forget it and eat some sushi and seaweed. Anyway, my 28 days rolled around, I had my witchy-mood moment and started bleeding lightly on the morning of day 29. But that was it. I bled for like 5 minutes. Not a drop since. I don't know what to make of it. We've taken measures to make sure we're never preggers again, but I may just take a dollar test just in case. I've never just skipped a period without being preg. But I've also never messed with my thyroid. *shrug*
    Gotta love a good mystery right?
    Last edited by Kakes; 05-09-2012 at 08:42 PM.
    My Primal Journal

WarlordBlade is offline Senior Member
    Good job breaking your plateau! You are amazing - and beautiful!
    ~It's All Relative!~
    34 - 5'11" CW - 159 GW - 175 10% BF or less!

Primal Journal
    Fitness Blog - Instagram
    Join me on Fitocracy

Yay! for breaking your plateau. I've brushed up against 159 for about 2 minutes in the last 5 months and will be elated to finally hunker up beside it (and beyond) for good.

I've never had irregular periods but they've gone from a 3-5 day flow to about 2 days of flow since beginning PB. Bonus!

I'm so hoping the 150s stick! I would like to live there...I don't dare hope for lower. I'm good with mid 150s.

I could go for regular 2 day periods. Rock on! I'm just slightly wigged out with the 5 minute variety. Was it a period... wasn't it? Does it even count? Meh. Really, I think as long as I'm not preggers, I'm cool with letting my body sort itself out. Though now on the iodine threads they are going on about arsenic in kelp tablets. The whole iodine supplement thing leaves me shaking my head. No clarity there. I may just ditch it for sea veggies (though those aren't common in my world of landlockedness). This after I bought 4 bottles of kelp supps to stock up with and put my whole family on a low dose.

Eating was odd today. I found myself feeling overfed (should have skipped breakfast again), snacked too much, and then was suddenly starving at 3:30! Dinner was poorly planned on my part (as my needed crock pot was busy making yogurt), so we ended up with salad, not enough cubed steak for a family of 6, some fried eggs and a container of tough stew meat sitting in the fridge after simmering for 3 hours while we ate the other stuff.
    Okay, accountability:
    B- a few chunks of fresh pineapple, 2 scrambled eggs with ground beef, spinach and peppers
    S- leftover bits of salmon burger and scrambly eggs, and a small fig
    L- a slice of ham
    S- a few almonds (3 or 4), a little raw milk, more salmon burger
    D- Large salad with lots of veg variety, 1/2 cubed steak, about 1 egg, a clementine, a couple of tastes of said tough stew meat, 2 bites of all natural vanilla ice cream
    4 itty squares of Green & Blacks 85% dark choc. Heavenly.

I felt like I ate a ton today. Now writing it down, it doesn't add up to the huge amounts my head thought it was. It was many little bits. I just snacked a lot comparatively.
    Exercise: Random pull ups, running up and down stairs, playing with children. I aimed to do yoga, but my lonely 70 year old neighbor showed up at the door and stayed to chat for almost 2 hours, taking up the small one's nap time (my only un-crawled-on and relatively undemanded time).
    My Primal Journal

Okay we'll get this out of the way: NOT PREGNANT. *phew!*

Today we woke up to snow. 4-6 inches over night. I was a bit miffed, but by noon the snow was melted and the sun was shining warm. Gotta love Utah weather. Mother Nature at her very most schizophrenic. The girls and I went out to play again. We chased, danced, cartwheeled, tumbled, captured princesses, became queens, did yoga poses, and made the neighbors laugh. I had gotten in some great sun salutations before we went out and I got back to practicing handstands, headstands and scorpion pose again today. I also accomplished tittibhasana or firefly pose (hubs can't say that without giggling) for the first time! It felt so great!
    I can't go up and down stairs in our little 3 story house anymore without running. Then I hit the top of the stairs where the pull up bar is in the bathroom doorway and bust out a few of those. I do this probably 6-10+ times a day now. My new pants can now be pulled off without unbuttoning at all. Someone needs to break out the sewing machine!

Food:
    B- IF until 9:30 (14ish hours), then an egg, 3 strips of bacon, and a veg/fruit/homemade yogurt and coconut milk smoothie
    L- Slice of ham, some beef stew meat simmered in a creamy tomato sauce, a clementine, an apple and some fresh mozzarella, a couple of hazelnuts
    D- Beef pot roast, a huge veg salad
    2 squares 85% dark choc

Tomorrow will be a running day. I am not a runner, but I run anyway. I consider myself pretty fit, but running fit is different than my natural state of fit. I love the races. They are SO much fun! I just hate training for them. Unfortunately at least some training is needed if I'm going to run almost 17 miles, in 3 parts, in under 24 hours (RAGNAR!!) Last year was amazing, but I want to be even more prepared and completely awesome this year. Hubs keeps pushing me to go... I keep putting it off. Tomorrow we have plans to meet up at WLB's brother's house (said brother is a freak of nature super ultramarathoner), where my sister-in-law and I will get our ever tightening booties in gear and get out to run a few miles. Then we will eat bacon-wrapped chicken together. That is the thought that keeps me going.
    My Primal Journal

Running with sister-in-law who is also one of my best friends= way more awesome and enjoyable than anticipated. Had great energy, my lungs felt good, my legs didn't even try to turn out and it was sunny! Yay! We did 3 miles at a moderate pace. It was great.

Today was all over the place. I picked up 2 gallons of raw, local, amazingly complex and yummy honey this morning. Just found out the supplier is going out of business. Boo! But I got the number of the guy who bought their hives, so hopefully it'll all still work out for us. The girls and I hit the library, did a full Costco run, and a few other errands, and by the time we got home and unloaded everything (LHT yeah!) I was beat! I tried to nap while the littlest was napping, but of course the mandatory doorbell ringing, phone ringing, child needing butt-wiping all at the same time thing happened, and then I was too wired to sleep and I ran out of time anyway and had to go pick up the boys. I was confused as to where that extreme fatigue came from until (4 days after false-start-5-minute-long-cycle), BAM. Right after our run, there it was again. *shrug* Whatever hormones. Just... whatever.

14 hour IF
    Meal we'll call Brunch- 2ish eggs, 3 homemade beef sausage patties, a smallish salad, and a slice of kiwi
    L-skipped
    S- A bosc pear
    D- Cream cheese and chive stuffed chicken breast wrapped in bacon, roasted Brussels sprouts w/butter, large many-veg salad.
    Dark chocolate (one square), herbal tea w/ a little raw honey
    My Primal Journal

PrimalCon New York
    Today was a rest day exercise-wise. Well, I guess I did some pull ups and hauling kids around. Didn't sleep well last night as half of the night was spent trying to sleep underneath my 4 year old and hubby had some allergy issues that had him snoring like a bear. (I haven't been missing the snoring, it can go away now for good please.) Due to girly times I am pretty drained (not pre-PB drained though, which is nice), so I just kinda floated on the workout today. The girls and I attended my son's 4th grade talent show. He did a very animated reading of a Shel Silverstein poem. He's an awesome little guy. There were "treats" galore and my littles were spectacular in avoiding them. I took a dish of nuts and dried fruit so that they'd have something to snack on. I also gave the go ahead for all the kids to have a bit of English Toffee. They were pretty happy about that. It's one of my favorite pre-PB treats, so I had a nibble as well. I don't regret that for a second.
    The rest of the day was spent playing chauffeur, sitting around trying to convince myself to do something useful, and making delircious food. I love food.

B- 4 strips of bacon, homemade yogurt and raw honey, strawberries
    S- small beef patty, a handful of walnuts and almonds, a couple of dried apricot slices, a bit of English toffee
    L- Leftover bacon-wrapped chicken, 1/2 an apple
    S- about 3-4 tbsp of HWC
    D- Honey Balsamic Pork Roast , garlic mushroom sauteed green beans
    S- 1 square dark chocolate, a clementine and a few pistachios

Ooh... bad on the snacking today. I blame hormones. I think a body has license to feel nutrient needy when it's losing it's liquid life-force constantly for days on end. I need to keep my veg up as well. I wasn't very conscious food-wise today. I will do better.

Movie night with the hubs tonight. He rocks.
    Last edited by Kakes; 04-05-2012 at 11:43 AM.
    My Primal Journal

Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast