Page 17 of 37 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Stronger, Better, Faster, Happier page 17

Kakes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    You're right dude.
    I don't usually stress about it that much. Funny that you mention genetics though. One of WLBs brothers is 6'5" and about 170- skiiiiiinnny. (I have the feeling boy one shares some genetic factors with this guy.) I have 6 brothers that are all over 6' 1" and 180-200- mostly muscle. No real point to me mentioning this, just interesting discussion to me.
    Sometimes I do let this parenting thing get to me. Every perceived shortcoming is somehow my fault and I must fix it. Especially with swimming season in full swing and my kids looking like flailing skeletons in the water. Concerned parents might think them malnourished- *gasp*. I need to not think that way. As if somehow greater parenting could pack healthy pounds and inches onto them. Time to get my control issues in check again. I should just keep them active and fed, and let them grow.
    Thanks for the virtual head smack. I needed that.
    You don't have to be sick to get better.
    Female, 31 years old, 5'8"
    Primal start: 1/2/2012
    My Primal Journal
    Living, loving and learning.

Gah! Sister-in-law is having emergency gallbladder removal surgery today. This is the sister who went Primal when we did, dropped 20 lbs, and then fell off the wagon a couple of months later. I wish I'd known to advise her to take it slow on the fat increases and do some gallbladder flushy goodness. (I learned this this morning.) I wonder if her fickle wagon jumping back and forth shook things up in the wrong way. *shrug* Who knows. Poor darling is in pain and it makes me sad. I want to make it all better! But I know I can't, so I will send her shmoopy love notes via text and email and say prayers for her. Doing all this research on gall bladder function and gall stones (since I can't not learn about something that plagues a loved one) has me wondering if the episode of excruciating pain that I had back in mid March may have been a gall bladder issue. Interesting.

I am about 15.5 hours into a much needed fast as I type this. I did nothing yesterday that was physically challenging (unless you count laundry baskets and children as LHT). I snacked like crazy and felt sluggish and blah. Last night I decided if I was still feeling that way in the morning, I'd just fast. So I did. A neighbor left her bag of baby shower things at my house on Saturday, so I ran the quarter mile down the hill to her house and the quarter mile back up the hill. Then I did a few pull ups. It felt really good to get things moving and be out in the sun, even just for 5 minutes. I have bacon and a smoothie (banana, avocado, cream, blueberries, coconut oil, strawberries, lots o' spinach, and wild orange oil) awaiting the close of my fast in the fridge. Maybe I'll do bike tabatas or PEMs or lift some today, since I'm missing running night tonight.
    My Primal Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Kakes View Post
    Thanks for the virtual head smack. I needed that.
    *Holsters head smacker* No problem, ma'am. That's what I'm here for.
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

WarlordBlade is offline Senior Member
    You are totally amazing Kakes, but definitely need reminders that you can't and don't need to control or fix everything all the time

Usually works better coming from someone other than the spouse though! So thanks Jyac!
    ~It's All Relative!~
    34 - 5'11" CW - 159 GW - 175 10% BF or less!

Primal Journal
    Fitness Blog - Instagram
    Join me on Fitocracy

icz
    icz is offline Member
    I was reading the part of your journal about your kids ht/wt. I have a 8 year old who ranges from being underweight to "normal," and honestly, I don't think it is healthy to check it very often it at all. Leave that to the doctors, and worry when they worry. I think you are putting stress on yourself over something that is really more organic and changeable. If they are eating well and have plenty of energy it is just nothing to focus on unless you are instructed to by a physician. My best friend's 8 year old son is usually in the bottom 5% of the height/weight chart, and is totally healthy and active - he is just a skinny little dude. (And his lips turn blue if he goes near water when it is less than 90 degrees outside!)

Thanks for the thoughts icz. I like thinking of such things as organic and changeable.
    I don't put much store by what most doctors say as far as nutrition and development are concerned and I've pretty much given up taking my kids in for checkups due to bad advice from doctors and nutritionists and their constant nagging that I get my children to put on weight (mass quantities of fortified cereal, juice, and peanut butter and butter sandwiches anyone?). That is one of the reasons we gave up on state food assistance (CHIP) even back when we still qualified and why we haven't seen a doc (even the one that we like) in over 2 years. The fact that they worried is why I rolled my eyes and then started worrying in the first place. It's hard to shake. Even when my kids rarely ever get sick (and get over it super fast when they do), and when they are well balanced and super intelligent, I worry a little... because I'm their mom. Denying myself the right to worry a little sometimes would be ridiculous. That said, it must come across here that I stress about it a lot more than I actually do. *shrug*

On to current events.
    Digestion is happy today. Feeling much more normal since I eased up on the pig the past few days. My body has never loved piggy meat.
    Strange factoid: Growing up with my health-nutty family, I was 14 before I ever tasted steak (and my first taste of it was fondue style) and I honestly can't remember when bacon and pork came into my life, but it wasn't early. We ate poultry and fish regularly, and ground beef very rarely when I was young. (I HATED my mother's meatloaf and tin foil dinners. Later found out she just wasn't a great cook and I don't like ketchup on everything.) We had either oatmeal, cracked wheat cereal or scrambled eggs every morning except Saturdays. Saturday was whole wheat waffle day. I digress. Every rare time I would consume a pork product as a teenager I would get constipated and have awful migraines (I called them toxic headaches) for a day or two afterward. It doesn't effect me that way now unless I eat it too frequently for a condensed period of time (Bacon with breakfast, ham for lunch, maybe shredded pork with dinner). This is what happened last week. Maybe it's because my body hates what most pork is processed with, and maybe my body just hates pork. Either way, variety is a good thing. I just wish good meat was cheaper. I'm feeding 6 people for goodness sake.
    Speaking of bacon, we had a lovely and very easy dinner born of necessity and boredom last night. I took 3 large chicken breasts, cut them into inch wide strips and wrapped each one in a piece of bacon. Then I combined about 1/4 c tamari and 1/2 cup pure maple syrup with a dash of garlic powder, stirred it up and poured/brushed it over the top of the bacon wrapped chicken. Bake at 375 for 35-45 minutes. We had it with a big colorful salad. It was delish! We even had leftovers- from only 3 chicken breasts for 6 people. I am a fan of that. I had to run off to my 3rd baby shower in a week, so the ease of throwing it together while in the midst of sewing a gift was lovely. Yes- I sewed the gift. Our budget doesn't allow for 3 baby gifts in a week, so I got creative. I rummaged through my pile of fabric scraps and whipped out this little number:

Cute eh?

The kids and I had a lovely afternoon swimming and picnicking with my parents yesterday. Usually when we "swim" I end up holding a little one while everyone else plays. This time my mom took tending duties and I played, flipped, taught and swam some laps with the munchkins and my dad. My lower abs are SORE. Not sure if it's from swimming or playing with the ab wheel the other day. Either way, it's the muscles that need it much right now, so I shall be doing both activities more frequently.
    I've been getting back to my intermittent and frequent random exercise habits. Pullups, push ups, planks, handstands, handstand push ups, pose practice. Maybe a minute of KBs thrown in there. It's a habit my body approves of.
    Tonight is running night. Tuesday's running night fell apart without me (Ha! It actually fell apart because Matt got sick and Misha wanted to be lazy). But tonight should go forward- without Misha. She is hosting a baby shower (!). It will be good to hit the trails again.
    I've been in a bit of a stalling pattern as far as BF% and weight goes. I'm not concerned about this as I don't really need to lose weight or body fat much. At this point I can see that some of my body composition could stand to change, but I think I'm going to have to work for it. Tighten up my snack habit, IF a little more often again and lift more. Oh and that little sleep issue. Still working on that. I'm inconsistent.
    My Primal Journal

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Go to the resource page, find the PaleoPhysiciansNetwork link. When I did this for you I found several in the Salt Lake area.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Thanks for the tip! If I ever need a doc, I'll definitely look there.

TRIUMPH! New recorded low weight: 151 on the new scale, 148 on the old scale.
    It's been a while since I measured. But since my loss has slowed a lot and I've been mostly working on strength and endurance... and playing... I don't feel bad even a little.

............... 2/6 ... 2/15 ... 2/21 ... 2/28 ... 3/13....3/27....4/9 ....4/20 ... 5/9....5/29 ... 7/21
    Bust ...... 37.5 ... 37.5 ... 37.5 ... 37.5 .... 37.5 .... 37 ... 36.5 .. 36.5 ... 36.5.. 36.5 ... 36
    Waist ...... 29 .... 28.5 .... 27.5 .... 27 ..... 26.5 .... 26 ... 25.5 ... 25 ..... 24 .... 23 ..... 22
    Hipline ..... 40 .... 38.5 .... 37 ..... 36 ...... 35.5 .... 35 ... 34.5 ... 34 ..... 33 ... 32.5 ... 32
    Hips/Butt 42.5 ... 41.5 ... 40.5 ... 40 ....... 39 ...... 38.5 . 38 ..... 38 ...... 37 ... 36.5 ... 36
    Mid Thigh . 23 .... 22 ...... 21 .... 20.5 ..... 20 ...... 19 .... 18 ..... 18 ...... 18 .. 17.5 .... 17
    Upper thigh X .... 24.5 ... 23.5 .. 23 ..... 22.5 ...... 22 .... 21.5 ...21.5 ...20.5 .. 20 ..... 19.5
    Body fat is approximately 15%.
    I honestly have no specific loss goals anymore. My goals run in the area of physical capabilities and how I look in the mirror. I'm getting better at mayurasana- maybe good enough to have WLB take a picture. My handstands are getting much more independent and slowly extending in duration. I really need to lift more. I play and work a ton physically and I think that's great, but I'd like to do some more purposeful lifting. Thursday's run was simple and felt great. 3.5 miles on paved trail with Alicia and WLB's aunt Sheri. Sheri is a walker/jogger just starting out with the running thing, so we laddered a lot, but had tons of fun with her too. She'll be great pace company for Misha next week. Today I spent 2 hours mowing lawns with a large mower that has a busted drive setting- so basically manual push and very heavy. It was 90 degrees out and I was sweating hard. Yes, my husband could be doing that, but he tends to have allergic reactions to grass, weeds and dust that shut his body down and put him in near-coma state. He also has a big workout planned with his Tough Mudder team buddies (Tough Muddies?) and I want him to be able to sweat himself silly on his own terms. My 10 year old could try to do the lawns, but since it's a major struggle for him when the drive setting isn't busted and the mower weighs more than he does, it falls to me. I like yard work though. It's a mentally peaceful, physically challenging time when children aren't needing me every second (as long as WLB is around). I ended up mowing my next door neighbors lawns too since her mower was broken, she just had hip surgery a couple of months ago, and her back yard was a small jungle. I am showered and happily exhausted now. Maybe after some dark chocolate and a bit of rest I'll go clean my kitchen.... maybe.
    Oh- we saw The Dark Knight Rises last night! I liked it much more than I expected to. We splurged and ate the free popcorn and soda offered my WLBs company (they rented out the theater so the whole night was free). Nothing accompanies epic hero-vs-bad-guy mayhem like epic heartburn. Awesome. I'm not feeling the effects too badly today thankfully. Definitely not going to be a habit.
    My Primal Journal

Begone spammers!

My right shoulder, back and side are SUUUUPER sore from restarting finicky mower one kajillion times yesterday. My first reaction- wishing the other side was equally sore.

We've slacked off on making the effort to get free range/grass fed things lately. We've just shopped Walmart and Costco because of fund-lackage and lazy-buttageness. I decided I'd hop back on the fresh-eggs wagon and call my egg lady back. She regretted to inform me that in my hiatus from local egg buying, her chickens had been eaten- one and all, by a fox. BOO!! She has a new flock, but they won't be laying for another 2-4 weeks. So I went online and found another egg lady. She charges $2.00 a dozen instead of $1.50 and she has a smaller flock, but I think it will work out at least in the short run. I'll be picking some up tomorrow. Now I just have to find a new honey guy since my last one sold his hives to a dude 25+ miles away. I didn't know how good I had it at $25/gallon. Raw honey can get expensive!! Also, this mama wants raw milk and cream and doesn't want to pay $8.00 a gallon. It's unlikely that I'll find any better, but it's worth a shot. Oh, to live in a place where grass-fed is the norm and organic is a given (and to be able to afford it)!

I've also decided to re-vamp my efforts at adding bone broth to whatever I can. I have loads of it in my freezer, all frozen in muffin-sized pucks and bagged. I add offal into it (since our feeble attempts at trying chicken liver led to much gagging and face pulling). I don't know how much by way of nutrition actually gets into the broth from the soft bits, but I imagine it's better than no soft bits at all. I also have like 8 more chicken carcasses and a couple of ham stock bones in the freezer awaiting the crockpot hot tub. I should get on that.
    My Primal Journal

Huzzah for free range organic local eggs again!

I am just a few days off from that time of the month. I feel it. Depression, impatience and anxiety are heavy hitters all of the sudden. That and my regular morning/evening weight fluctuations have gone up a pound or 2. Joy.

I'm going to have to workout harder to get the bod I want. I know I've already talked bout it. I tend to repeat myself on here, but it takes me a while to rev up to where I need to be mentally to actually jump in and do what I need to.

I have a new goal: Be Grateful.
    I consider myself a pretty positive and grateful person, but apparently not enough. I need to be more grateful, more happy, more positive- nothing bad can come of it, and I know my life will be better because of it. I need to not be annoyed that my new size 7/8 skinny jeans are sliding off my bum (the legs fit great though), and just revel in the fact that I wear a size 7/8!
    I need to enjoy my kids more and spend less time in front of the computer.

I need to love what is.
    My Primal Journal

Page 17 of 37 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast