Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Stronger, Better, Faster, Happier page 12

mle777 is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    You've done such an amazing job! I've definitely been inspired to do more handstands/balance work because of you

Kakes is offline Senior Member
    Thanks everyone! Funny that you mention the bra hb- I just bought it! The girls have shrunk a little and were swimming in the bowls of the bra that fit me when I was breastfeeding. It was like closing a milky, top-heavy chapter in my life and gaining some sexy back.

mle777- Happy to be inspiration. I love the handstand and balance work! And thank you for the compliment!

Okay. I have some major catching up to do. Just know that my slacking here means I have been out happily charging about the real world in a very Primal manner.

(This is so long it's coming in parts.)
    Ragnar was a blast.. in the most sleep-depriving, what-am-I-doing-here-I'm-not-a-runner, I'm-so-tired-I-hate-everyone, oh-my-gosh-I-love-you-guys-let's-sign-up-again kind of way possible. We split 2 teams with friends so that our family could be both Van 2s and have two runners out at a time. My bestest running buddy and sil Alicia was my partner. We were runner #12 of the relay- the last of every leg. About half of our family runners were new to running, so as time went on and everyone got more tired and things just got LONG. We started out the first day decorating vans in Clan MacRagnar plaid and every clever Scottish saying we could come up with. (Does this kilt make my butt look fast?) We had our safety training and waited eagerly for the Van 1s to come in to the exchange.

I should mention that it was getting HOT! Misha (WLBs sis) and Ev (our 12 year old niece) were first up. We had tried to match up runners pretty evenly with pace and skill, but with Ev being so young and some of the other runs being unsupported, she got put on the easiest with Mish. Well... she took off, and that girl is FAST! She finished at least half an hour faster than Michelle did, so we waited around so T and H (WLBs little brother and his wife) could run together. They were some more of our new runners. We supported and took pics throughout. At one point I ran across the road to get a pic and give water, my flip flop slid on gravel and I landed square on my behind. We all laughed very hard, and I took the picture anyway... from the ground.

Big brother B and Misha's hubs Ben were up next. They are amazing, they practically fly. Then came WLBs dad and little bro Morgan. They clipped along just great with M snapping pictures all along (he is hilarious- also our Dirty Dash photog) until he asked for some cash, disappeared, and then came barreling up behind dad with an ice cream cone in hand- in the middle of his run!

They handed off the slap bracelets (one very sticky and slippery) to Matt (another brother) and WLB who took off on their unsupported leg to climb 8(?) miles or so up a mountain. They met A and I at Snow Basin, where we knocked out a fun 2 mile trail run through the forest.

We handed off to Van 1 and went out to dinner! I won't detail everything or this could get SO long, but just enough to give an idea of what a frickin' awesome family we have. They are our best friends!
    (to be continued...)
    You don't have to be sick to get better.
    Female, 31 years old, 5'8"
    Primal start: 1/2/2012
    My Primal Journal
    Living, loving and learning.

(Part 2)
    By the time we finished dinner we had decided to split up and let some of us get some sleep in the RV with mom and little bro Nick at the south camp ground for a few hours. Mish and Ev started their 2nd legs around midnight and by 3ish am, we finally got the text (sketchy cell service) saying we needed to get there fast! I hopped in the van with dad and Morgan and Alicia and tore up the canyon road to try to get there in time to meet B and B who were just finishing a 10 mile night run. I thought I was going to kill us as my eyes don't work well at night, but I got us there. If dad hadn't taken 10 minutes to adjust his compression socks (which still ended up being on upside down), we would have been on time. As it was, they waited at the exchange for 10 minutes and were just a titch grouchy with us. We set off to meet up with Matt and WLB who were driving the RV, and after much confusion and delay over exits and construction, we left the early half of our runners to their rest and headed for the exchange. Matt and WLB were sweet (and tough) and agreed to switch middle legs with A and I so that we didn't have to run 2 7 milers in a row. A and I waited in the freezing predawn for Dad and Morgan to appear and just when our faces were numb and we couldn't shiver any harder, they showed.

We took off on a 5.75 miler along Rockport Reservoir just as the sun rose. It was BEAUTIFUL.

The temp was perfect, the view was perfect, the company was perfect. We finished strong and handed off to our men. Matt and WLB jigged a strong hot 7 miler to hand off to the Van 1s.

We found food and met up with our our team mates in the RV at my brother's house just 5 minutes from our next exchange point. Mom made smoothies and bacon, we showered, laid around, cleaned out the vans and pampered ourselves for a couple of hours. Then it was go time again! Mish and Ev took off- Ev was done SO fast! She was amazing. Mish walked a lot. This was more than she had run in 24 hours ever, so we were proud of her for finishing. then T and H (who had hardly trained and were really hurting after having run 10 miles or so already), set out walking. They did that for their entire 5.5 miles in the midday heat. It was tough for them, but they finished! Then came B and B heading up the BIG mountain to Guardsman pass. Once we got them temp controlled with wet neck scarves and wet hats, they were strong and golden. They handed off to Dad and Nick (Morg had a foot injury) halfway up the mountain, where B and B decided to pace along, Ev hopped out to run, and half the team ended up doing the hardest, steepest leg together. They handed off to WLB and Matt who climbed the rest of the way to the summit along with Brett (who decided to tag along). And then those 3 Lads in Plaid FLEW 2000+ feet down the mountain to Park City.

They were so fast! At this point Alicia and I were nervous- the last runners. Things had taken so long that our bodies were already in shut down and recovery mode and we had a VERY HARD 7.2 mile run ahead of us. We were nauseous from nerves, sleep deprived and pissy, and ready to get it over with. Our team made a brilliant show of sending us off on a high note- cheering and high fives down the chute and off we went. We took a little jaunt through a pond trail and a neighborhood and UP a hill, then suddenly we were on a steep and rocky downhill plunge. I let gravity take me and flew down the trail hopping past runners on my way down. I just needed to feel like I was flying! I waited for Alicia at the bottom and realized I'd taken it too hard on my foot. I thought I might have fractured it for a minute, but got moving on it again and realized it was probably just a bruise. We came out on a paved trail where it dawned on me that I was running a very similar course to my last Running With Ed leg. GAH! It was the same place! And they were going to make me run out in the middle of nowhere again!! My mom texted asking if I was done yet. Then my babysitting brother texted saying he had to leave and asking what he should do with my kids, which sent my mommy stress meter through the roof! Just then WLBs Dad called just to tell me they were waiting for us and the stadium finish line and asking where we were. It was all I could do to not scream at him! I told him 3 more miles and to have WLB call my brother and figure things out with the kids. At this point, in the middle of dusty, rocky, sage brushy nowhere land, we came across a path that had NO MARKINGS. Having run out there before, I knew approximately where to look and found a trail marking that took us off on a mile loop before bringing us back to the main trail. As we came over the hill and within sight we saw lost runners taking shortcuts and missing the loop! We were so mad! Irrational and exhausted at that point, we started yelling at rocks and cursing everything in sight. Then we'd look at each other and laugh, and then complain some more, and laugh some more. We were beyond delusional at that point. We crested the hill as the sun was setting and sped down the hill past the "1 mile to go" sign. We were spent and hurting, but we cruised along to the pulling sound of stadium cheering. The sight of our boys and Brett running toward us in kilts was the sweetest thing we'd seen all day. They paced us into the stadium entrance where the rest of the team joined in and we crossed the finish line together. Everyone was smiling but Alicia and I- Alicia was sobbing (she does that a lot) and I was yelling at people.
    When mom hugged me laughing and told me "good job", and I responded, "I will slap you!" and started sobbing, I realized I was done and could come out of anger/survival mode and laugh too. A and I held each other and sobbed for a sec, then we laughed and went for medals and pictures.

Then came food and jewelry. Priorities.
    I honestly wondered if some of us would keep running after Ragnar. Last year I finished and didn't run again until November. But less than a week later we were back on it, running and eating together like always. I intend to back off again to once or twice a week runs, and mix back in the kettlebells, sprints, LHT and yoga more. I will keep running as long as I crave it. And surprisingly- I do. I CRAVE IT!! I have to stay in shape for Cahoots and Dirty Dash this August and September after all!
    If you've read this whole thing, you are a champion... or insane... or a stalker, or maybe all of the above. Thanks for reading!
    My Primal Journal

WLB and I at the top of Guardsman's Pass (the RAGNAR leg)

and us at the finish
    My Primal Journal

WarlordBlade is offline Senior Member
    Definitely an insane stalker. I'm going to come to your house TONIGHT!!! Mwahahahaaa!

In other news it still bothers me how far back I am behind those two in that 2nd to last pic (of part 2).

You did amazing!! You ARE amazing! Keep up the awesome hotness!
    Last edited by WarlordBlade; 06-27-2012 at 02:30 PM.
    ~It's All Relative!~
    34 - 5'11" CW - 159 GW - 175 10% BF or less!

Primal Journal
    Fitness Blog - Instagram
    Join me on Fitocracy

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Yeah I'm all of the above. You guys are seriously badass. I think I would have cried too, I generally do that when I'm coming down from an adrenaline rush. How did you text and run?!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Haha! I didn't. I read the texts, ignored my mom for the time being, and then let other people take care of important things via phone. I wear my phone upside down on an armband to track my pace on RunKeeper. When I need to see the screen I just lift my arm up ... I can only imagine what I looked like running like a drunkard with my elbow in the air when Dad called. I figured out fast that I should slip the armband off and talk to him through the holes in it so as not to run myself off a mountain.
    My Primal Journal

Quote Originally Posted by WarlordBlade View Post
    Definitely an insane stalker. I'm going to come to your house TONIGHT!!! Mwahahahaaa!

In other news it still bothers me how far back I am behind those two in that 2nd to last pic (of part 2).

You did amazing!! You ARE amazing! Keep up the awesome hotness!
    Your legs are like 2/3 the length of theirs and you had the biggest blister I've seen on your foot. You still rock!
    My Primal Journal

Before Ragnar I hit my lowest adult weight ever. One would think that running 15+ miles over the course of about 26 hours, eating sparingly and hydrating well would cause that to go down even more. Especially since physically- in the muscles and joints sense, I felt amazing the next day! But stress is a funny (in the least fun sense of the word) thing. My body responds very sensitively to physical and mental stressors. It got confused as a badger in a bathhouse and freaked out. One extra stressor may have been that I went off a regular eating schedule, ate more carbs (not horrible ones, just more) than I'm used to, and downed enough electrolytes that I retained water and my ankles swelled up. (I was also having return circulation issue in my right foot due to my hip- which while it continues to strengthen enormously, is still not normal.) I stepped on the scale 2 days post race and gasped- I had gained 6-8 pounds. Not cool. Obviously I hadn't gained that much fat in 2 days. I kept my wits about me and just told my body it needed rest and routine. The rest came in fits- I am still mothering 4 children, and wifey to a sexy beast of a man. We waited a good 5 days before running again and I started in with pullups, pushups and kettle bells this last few days. It took a long time to get over the major sleep deprivation of Ragnar. 3 out of 48 hours of fitful sleep is not kind. We also ran out of vitamins right around that time and we were finishing off uneaten car snacks (beef jerky, dried coconut, dark chocolate roasted almonds...). I'm sure I was retaining water due to carb intake, constipation issues and stress. I hit 159 and decided it was time to set things straight. My hunger cues were WAY screwed up. So yesterday I hopped back on my 14/10 IF schedule, nixed the snacking and only ate when hungry. Hopped on the scale last night at 154/151 (new scale/old scale). *sigh of relief* Much. Better. This morning I was not going to IF (I rarely do it two days in a row), but just felt it was right. I also felt some serious cravings to run. With 4 kids under ten and a working hubs, this mother doesn't simply take off running when she feels like it, so I hopped on the recumbent bike for some tabatas. It's been a while... a long while. My old friend tabata let me know he wasn't happy I'd been away so long. Kicked my butt in 4 minutes flat. Dang. It's a good kind of beating. I'm gonna go shower and eat. There are 4 strips of bacon and eggs scrambled with cream calling my name from the kitchen.
    My Primal Journal

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Every time I go on a long hike (12-18 miles) my weight goes up but it does go down again rather quickly, thank goodness! It is a bit frightening, though, when I first step on that scale!!
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast