Thread: Can't build muscle? page

Gadsie is offline Senior Member

Can't build muscle?

Shop Now
    I am a 14 year old boy. I'm trying to build more muscle but I can't. Every other day I do:
    Pullups:
    8, 10, 5, 5, 10. With 60 sec rest in between
    Pushups:
    20, 25, 15, 15, 25 with 90 sec rest
    I also do other workouts but these are the ones I would like to focus on. I've got some muscle but I can't gain more. I push myself to the limit everytime I work out and I always work out right after/before I eat protein.
    Any ideas why this is?

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Take a rest day
    Squat
    Deadlift
    Eat More
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Jacksson is offline Senior Member
    Work out safely and wait for your body to get ready to put on muscle. You are pretty young yet for an real "filling out". Dont force it. It will come when it is time. If you push too hard now, you could create unnecessary injury.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Drop your workout to every other day so your muscles can build and heal.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

jwhal is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    Take a rest day
    Squat
    Deadlift
    Eat More
    ^^This. Follow a proper linear strength training program and don't train to failure if that's what you've been doing. Perform heavy compound movements, eat more clean food than you think you need to and get your eight hours of rest each night. Go to startingstrength.com and search Rip's Q&A forum for kids and strength training for more information (this question has been asked many times before on his site).

Jon
    Last edited by jwhal; 02-28-2012 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Clarification

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Starting Strength and DTP (do the program). Some will argue the method, but GOMAD works. Gallon of whole milk a day combined with the Rip's lifting schedule = big strength gains and packing on the pounds. Put your faith in Rip, he will not lead you astray.

Squat/Deadlift/Press/Bench/Power Clean

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Yes cut down on the number of days you train. Training to failure can be very productive but its also more demanding and requires more recovery time. You are 14 and your hormones are all over the place. As you get through the next few years you should see a big improvement in your ability to add muscle. Testosterone plays a huge role in muscular development. You are not at your peak yet where that is concerned.

Its great though that you are taking this path. Do it wisely and lifelong health and vitality can be yours. Take your time. You are so on the right track!!
    Last edited by Forever Young; 02-28-2012 at 01:28 PM.

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    I am a 14 year old boy. I'm trying to build more muscle but I can't. Every other day I do:
    Pullups:
    8, 10, 5, 5, 10. With 60 sec rest in between
    Pushups:
    20, 25, 15, 15, 25 with 90 sec rest
    I also do other workouts but these are the ones I would like to focus on. I've got some muscle but I can't gain more. I push myself to the limit everytime I work out and I always work out right after/before I eat protein.
    Any ideas why this is?
    No bullshit answer: because you have no idea what you're doing

You won't get any results doing this. You don't seem to have much knowledge on the subject (nobody does at your age, it's pretty normal), so I would advise you to get a coach, but then again you're probably broke too. Maybe try to find a weightlifting or powerlifting team? You'll learn some basic lifting principles and most important, you'll learn the proper technique. Most guys I know who got seriously into weightlifting at your age were built like tree trunks when they reached 18-19 years old.

You can also do a lot of sports. Give BJJ, judo, wrestling, muay thaļ, parkour, gymnastics or even breakdance a try. If you don't abuse cardio, you'll get stronger, faster and more agile, even if it's less than what you would get on a pure bodybuilding/strength routine. Dancing and moving well pays a lot more with the ladies than being buff (you can also go the lazy way and just walk around with a guitar). If you eat well you should see results with time.

Until then, whatever you choose to do, read as much as you can on strength training. On top of my mind, Mark Rippetoe and Jim Wendler are pretty accessible to motivated beginners. T-Nation has surprisingly good info generally, just look at the daily articles. Same for EliteFTS, but it's mostly powerlifting-oriented stuff.

Edit: I forgot something. You're 14. Testosterone probably hasn't fully kicked in yet, so you won't get any results for a while. Be patient, be consistent, have fun moving, but don't ruin your joints already doing endless reps of certain movements.
    Last edited by Winterbike; 02-28-2012 at 01:29 PM.