Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nuts - why are they hard to digest? page

CaptSaltyJack is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

The Primal Blueprint seems to follow nature's rules in what our body wants to eat & digest. Nuts, though, are hard to digest by pretty much everyone.. that raises a question in my mind: if nuts are a natural food choice for humans, why are they difficult to digest?

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

Captain,

I think it's because they're seeds, and whole purpose of a seed is to grow a new plant. It doesn't WANT to get digested...it wants to pass through an animal's digestive tract undamaged.

Some people here soak them before eating them...I'm not a big nut fan, so I'll leave the details of that process to someone more knowledgable.

Stabby is offline Senior Member

What is "natural" isn't always what is best. Conversely, what is best isn't always "natural". We have a blueprint, but it is an incomplete one and must be tailored to the individual (sorry mark!).

I personally don't eat nuts. Way too much omega 6 and not enough omega 3. I have a hard time picturing Grok with mounds and mounds of almonds, gobbling them down. Paleolithic nut and seed consumption was most likely a few here and there when there hadn't been a kill for a while.

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Longquan is offline Member

As a child I never really liked nuts. When I started the WD I started to eat lots of nuts because the author seems to think they're some kind of magic food and I started to like them.

But the only thing I got from them was indigestion and pimples.

I think the're highly overrated, so many peolpe seem to be unable to digest them properly.

I only eat them occasionally and only almonds which give me the least problems.

AlanBradin is offline Junior Member

Do I have an iron stomach or something? I have no problem digesting nuts or any kind of dairy. I've phased out dairy since going Paleo, but kept the nuts. I certainly understand the digestive problems that dairy poses, but this is the first time I'm hearing about nuts.

Prowler Guest

I don't have any problems digesting nuts, but I'm starting to worry that they have way too much Omega-6 fatty acids.

Supposedly the ratio of Omega-6 to Omega-3 in almonds is 1800:1. Other nuts are a little better but only walnuts really fall into an acceptable range.

It makes me sad, because I love almonds.

TenYearStorm Guest

Almonds can give me diarrhea. It sucks becasue I love almond butter. I am staying away from it for the most part right now.

Acmebike is offline Member

Nuts and seeds are indeed, like grains, adapted to be bitter, poisonous or at the very least irritating to our systems! It is only man's dabbling in selective breeding of plants that certain nuts/seeds/grains have become "food" for us But tolerance for a nut/seed does not mean that it is an optimal food source! Test for yourself! You won't be missing any vital nutrients you can't get elsewhere if you forgo nuts!

Like TenYearStorm, I can't deal with almonds. I have experimented and found that if I soak almonds 24+ hours in salty water, drain and rinse, then remove the skin, then dehydrate them, I can eat them with no worries. So almonds (and most nuts) are now a limited and rare treat.

TigerJ is offline Senior Member

Hi,

Been lurking for a while now - reading every post! Recently yet thoroughly into Primal ways.

Comment about nuts - when you think about it these would have been available for a very short time. Almonds, walnuts, pecans, etc have a very certain season and that is autumn when they drop from trees for just a few weeks. After a little while on the ground they would probably rot or the lucky few would make it into seedlings. Then none available for a year. My take: view them as a way to fatten up for winter (a natural thing to do for the lean ones), or a special treat around the holidays. But not an everyday staple or major source of calories. Also, soaking and then drying does seem to help make them much more digestible.

As others have probably pointed out have you actually tried shelling them? It is a lot of work! It is highly unlikely that a primal person would sit for hours and hours pounding out scraps of nuts instead of just going to hunt unless circumstances were dire and no meat or fish around. Or perhaps their virtue is that once harvested and stored they would be around on a day when hunting was bad.

Last point - if you think seasonally a similar thing could be said about eggs. I love eggs and have them often but to my knowledge wild birds produce most eggs in the spring, not as much in summer and probably none in fall or winter. Chickens laying eggs year round is really the result of domestication; Bay Area (CA) farmers markets selling genuine eggs have much smaller supply in the wintertime, then pretty much all you can afford to buy in the spring and summer.

So there you have it, the seasonal way to eat primal fats. Eggs in spring and summer, some nuts in fall and early winter. Maybe this will sound like a stereotype of a California poster but makes sense to me.

cheers,

J

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

PrimalCon New York

Seasonality makes intuitive sense to me too - especially with fruits and the fattening effect of fructose...

However I find nuts give me the "munchies" so they are a one-off treat for me usually.

Oh, and good luck getting to wild hazelnuts before the birds and squirrels do!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast