Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: paleo or primal consistent salad dressing-help page

mosin46 is offline Senior Member

paleo or primal consistent salad dressing-help

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    i know i need to eat salads often. frankly,despite using many different ingredients,salads taste like cardboard to me. lemon juice helps,but not much. the oil and vinegar combs i have tried just make it taste like bitter cardboard. i like several of the grocery store dressings but have dropped them knowing they are toxic. looking for some non toxic P/P correct recipies that are easy,store fairly well and aren't a 2 hour tooth pull to make. thanks for any hints.

Alaska Ang is offline Senior Member
    I have quite a few recipes. What type of store bought dressing do you like?

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Olive oil, balsamic vinigar with some salt and pepper....yum
    Or soft poach and egg on top of salad, tuna, olives, carrots etc....the yolk coats everything ....hmmmm
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

mosin46 is offline Senior Member
    like ceasar,creamy ceasar,any of the creamy stuff. greek and french are ok. of course,these are all poision/poision dairy. like i said,i hate oil and vinegar of any type. that's one reason i never got into the "drink an ounce of vinegar a day and live to 100" crap.

Alaska Ang is offline Senior Member
    I will look through what I have and post a couple when I get home. You can get a creamy consistency without the dairy making more of a mayo type base. One thing with oil and vinegar combos that makes them much more palatable is at least 2 to 1 oil to vinegar. You want the oil to be the base and the vinegar a flavouring.
    Last edited by Alaska Ang; 02-27-2012 at 05:18 PM. Reason: typo.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Make good homemade mayo... thin as needed by whisking in water, or other tasty liquid, and add herbs and spices. You'll find a combo you like in no time... or several!
    Yes, you can even add some fresh grated parm, some anchovy paste, and a tad of crushed garlic for a FINE Caesar.

Make small batches of just a few Tbsp... if you can't taste the herbs enough let it rest and marry for a bit before using.

I almost always keep a pint of bacon fat mayo and a pint of olive oil/garlic mayo in the fridge, sometimes I have a third flavor as well like duck/goose.
    With the two or three mayo flavors the possibilities are endless. I love to add some chipotle to the bacon, lots of italian type herbs to the olive oil and garlic, and so on. The rich neutral flavor of duck/goose fat mayo plays well with lots of things.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

jel
    jel is offline Junior Member
    I found these last week looking for dressings myself. I haven't tried them yet, but they sound good.

Double Bacon Caesar - Health-Bent | Health-Bent
    Chopped Salad with Bacon Honey Mustard - Health-Bent | Health-Bent

Sunnivara is offline Senior Member
    Boil an egg and chop it up. Cook bacon until crispy, set aside. Use the bacon grease with red wine vinegar to saute chopped green onions and mushrooms. Put fresh raw young spinach in a mixing bowl. Pour hot bacon grease dressing mixture over spinach. Crumble in bacon and boiled egg. Mix well and eat while still warm. Yum!
    I know you said you don't like oil and vinegar dressings. But if you keep the vinegar ratio low, this really just tastes bacony. Good if you like bacon.
    Last edited by Sunnivara; 02-28-2012 at 11:53 AM.

Primal Moose is offline Senior Member
    If you like vinaigrettes, try harvesteating.com. He's not primal, he does do baked goods, but even I would eat these baked goods (very basic, rustic breads and what not; not perfect, but better than store bought). And you have to pay to view most the recipes, but it's not expensive and all the videos are free and he has a lot of vinaigrette recipes, some of which are very creative and tasty.

MariluChester is offline Junior Member
    I have quite a few recipes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast