Thread: Protein Query page

Sanctus Real is offline Senior Member

Protein Query

Primal Fuel
    I'm a chick (5'2", around 60 kilos), so my objective in LHT isn't to get bulkier. It's pretty much impossible without steroids, anyway, so even if I wanted to, I don't have the dosh. I do, however, want to get stronger, and I'm kind of wondering if I need to tweak my diet a bit to achieve this. And, if so, how?

According to PaleoTrack, I'm getting at least 100% of my nutrients, around 60% of my diet is fat (86 grams), 20% is protein (75 grams), and 20% is carbs (69 grams). I took these numbers from today, but that's pretty typical of my usual intake. Should I be eating more protein? I have, up to the past couple weeks, been eating around 50 grams of protein per day, but I added a can of tuna for another 26 grams of protein. Is this going to be enough or too much? I've been reading that, to build muscle, you should consume between 1.5 to 2 grams per kilo of body weight. Should I add another can of tuna, or am I okay?
    Motherhood: When changing from pj pants to yoga pants qualifies as 'getting dressed'.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Lift heavier, Eat more (protein/carbs) = get stronger.

I personally always eat 1-1.5 grams of protein regardless of workout schedule. The only thing I change is carb/fat intake. Higher carb training days, higher fat non training days.

Protein sounds a bit low. For strength and muscle building.

I've always gone with 1 gram of protein per POUND of body. Which would put you in the area of 150 grams of protein.

When I switched to this ratio, my weight loss slowed down, which worried me. After a couple weeks I realized that my body composition was changing. Muscle was increasing faster, so I was losing the same amount of fat but gaining muscle mass.

Bob

Sanctus Real is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the replies! I checked the post the day after I wrote it, but I obviously did it too early. And then I forgot about it, as is my way.

I've been making more of an effort to try to get more protein, but protein is so filling that I can't eat as much as I mean to. I'm barely getting 1 gram of protein per kilo, and that's *with* a whey protein smoothie. I'm not worried about the weight thing, as long as my jeans still fit, I know I'm cool. Since I've gone primal, I initially lost 30 pounds, then gained 10, but I dropped a jean size at the same time, so I've learned to pay no attention to the scale.

I've finally figured out how important diet is to fitness, so right now I'm trying to figure out how to best feed my body. It sounds like I really need to up my protein, so any suggestions would be great. (hint, hint ) I think the whey would be really great, but I don't know how to make it taste good, except to make a fruit smoothie with it. Any suggestions, other than liver? (I know ho good it is for you, but I just can't hack the taste.)
    Motherhood: When changing from pj pants to yoga pants qualifies as 'getting dressed'.

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Protein is over-rated. Focus on eating real foods, training hard and resting adequately.

And be patient. It takes a long time to significantly increase your strength.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

Dmifsud is offline Junior Member
    Totally agree with Al. I'm lucky if I get half of what's recommended for daily intake, yet still have plenty of muscle for my frame and needs. This approach also avoids toxity and supports longevity.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_Kavadlo View Post
    Protein is over-rated. Focus on eating real foods, training hard and resting adequately.

And be patient. It takes a long time to significantly increase your strength.
    First, protein isn't overrated. Second, it doesn't take a long time to significantly increase strength. Starting strength is pretty much proof of this. If anything, it's the opposite in the beginning. It's very easy to make considerable/linear strength gains if you're training correctly.

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernaldo View Post
    First, protein isn't overrated. Second, it doesn't take a long time to significantly increase strength. Starting strength is pretty much proof of this. If anything, it's the opposite in the beginning. It's very easy to make considerable/linear strength gains if you're training correctly.
    I think you're reading my comment a bit out of context. If this was a guy who had never worked out before and wanted to bulk up, then you're right, he could get a lot stronger relatively fast, and the added protein would likely help with the bulk. However, the OP is a female who is looking to avoid bulk, so more protein really won't make much of a difference. And judging from her post, she seems fairly experienced in the realm of exercise, so "newbie gains" are likely a thing of the past for her.

I stand by my original advice.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_Kavadlo View Post
    I stand by my original advice.
    I'm gonna agree with Al here.

I weigh 270lbs at something like 12% body fat, so most people would suggest ~300g of protein daily. I've done anywhere from 200 - 300g daily consistently (over a month each) and found little in the way of extra gains from eating 300g as opposed to 200g. I've found real food and good rest being the key to gains.

To the OP, I don't see any reason why you'd need to eat more than 1.5g protein per kg of BW.
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe