Thread: Trying to Conceive and primal eating page

born2Bprimal Guest

Shop Now

For those of you ladies who are pregnant (or were) - do you have any suggestions for diet when you are trying to conceive? I've found this http://www.westonaprice.org/Diet-for...g-Mothers.html and think that the advice sounds good (other than the sprouted grains and 1 quart of milk / day).

Is there anything else that you think could help? I'm currently in my two week wait (had an IUI on Friday). Last time I ended up with 2 cysts the size of an orange - hoping that this time will be better. because of the cysts I wasn't able to do any type of impact activity for fear that they would rupture or twist. When the Dr. gave me the "oK" I ran sprints and did box jumps, but now when I'm in my 2ww, I am on modified activity again.

Thanks for any input.

Christina

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

WAPF suggestions minus grains (I wouldn't mind keeping the raw milk in there if I could get/afford it - and I've been drinking lots of regular milk during my pregnancy anyway) are good.

Nina Planck also has a book "Real Food for Mother and Baby" with a section on fertility diet. I skipped over that section since I was already pregnant, but I'm guessing it's very "eat real foods" focused. She's in the WAPF school of thought so she also includes grains, but she's a huge fan of things like liver and salmon roe and stuff like that - very nutrient dense stuff.

There's the CW advice to start prenatal vitamins or at least folic acid as soon as you start trying to conceive - I didn't do that because it happened so fast we didn't even realize we WERE trying (it was kind of subconscious haha) until it was "too late." But next time if we are aware we're trying, I might take the folic acid just because it's so hard to get from foods in the amount that teeny fetuses supposedly need...

Good luck!!!

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

slesca is offline Senior Member
    Rural midwest; just outside a mid-sized city

I was just learning to eat primally when I was trying to conceive. Well, actually, I was eating normally for about 8 months, but didn't get pregnant. Then I started eating primally, skipped a month of my period and was pregnant the next. My meals were mostly eggs for breakfast, salads for lunch and grilled meat and veggies for dinner. It was summer so I grilled something every night. I was not taking any vitamins except D and fish oil. I've always eaten dairy, so I guess my primal eating is with a few compromises, though I don't drink milk. I do like cottage cheese, yogurt and hard cheese.

I was never on any exercise restrictions, so at the time I got pregnant I was the most active I've ever been in my life: I was sprinting, lifting VERY heavy weights, walking and hiking a ton, gardening, etc. At 28 weeks preg, I miss feeling like that.

born2Bprimal Guest

Hey FlyNavyWife and Slesca -

Thanks for your input. Your suggestions are what I thought they would be . I'm trying to do the liver thing - added some to my stroganoff yesterday and I couldn't even taste it. I'm drinking maybe a cup of raw milk a day and taking prenatal vitamins (from whole foods).

I'm still hesitant to resume normal activity as the IUI is expensive and I don't want to ruin anything.

Thanks again! Good luck with your pregnancies!

Christina

Acmebike is offline Member

Robb Wolf's "The Paleolithic Solution" podcast has some mention of fertility this past episode (#15).

Our trouble was with me having poor sperm count and motility. I ate full carnivore and strictly grassfed, high fat, good stuff, and that situation turned right around. We'll be having a mini-Grok mid April!

I know this is not the OP's line of questioning, but thought some couples could benefit knowing Paleo/Primal living helps male fertility as well! Good luck!