Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do with pumpkin? page

Sparkles is offline Junior Member

What to do with pumpkin?

Shop Now
    I want to start cooking things on a more daily basis, but what I know how to do (eggs in every shape and form) is getting sort of boring. While I was looking around the kitchen for something else to work with, I found canned pumpkin. I'm in the mood for pumpkin now, but I'm not entirely sure what to do with it. I was thinking maybe soup, but my ideas for that are sort of uninteresting.

What would you guys do with a can of pumpkin?

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I'm lazy and just eat it mixed with some Greek yogurt and cinnamon. You can make a custard with it also.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Paleo cookies, soup, pumpkin whipped heaven, pumpkin gunk meat balls (tastier than it sounds, definitely tastes of fall), pumpkin gunk roulade...
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Thanks for the ideas. I don't have anything to substitute for flour, or I would definitely make cookies. I may do the thing with the yogurt because I'm fairly lazy too.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Don't need flour. They're akin to meringues. Beat egg whites until stiff and glossy, fold in pumpkin mixed with egg yolks, cocoa powder, cinnamon, cloves, and allspice, bake at 350*.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I also sometimes throw a can into a batch of chicken curry (along with coconut milk, of course!). It thickens it up a bit and adds some vegetable content.

Also, pumpkin custard!

1 can pumpkin puree (not the monster can, just the regular size)
    1 can full-fat coconut milk
    4 eggs
    A couple of teaspoons of pumpkin pie spices
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    (1/4 cup maple syrup, but you can reduce or skip this or sub something like stevia if you want)

Mix well, pour into a deep pie plate or baking dish. Bake at 350 for about an hour until set.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Ooh, that custard sounds good. I don't have any coconut milk, but I'm okay with dairy for now. I think this is what I'll make. Thanks!

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    mix with a baked sweet potato + butter and cinnamon. Add some applesauce for more sweetness.
    “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

hottierockstar is offline Senior Member
    if you get bored with these google "paleo pumpkin" (without the quotes) there are tons of ideas.

valeo44 is offline Junior Member
    My friend makes these paleo pumpkin muffins for breakfast. She said:

"I have one of these for breakfast heated in the microwave with raspberries, blueberries and blackberries. When I made them I didn't put the honey in and i found they tasted fine.

Pumpkin Paleo Muffins

1˝ cups almond flour
    3/4 cup canned pumpkin (or cook and puree pumpkin yourself)
    3 large eggs
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp baking soda
    ˝ tsp ground cinnamon
    1˝ tsp pumpkin pie spice
    1/8 tsp sea salt
    1/4 cup raw honey (optional)
    2 tsp almond butter
    1 Tbs sliced almonds

Instructions
    Preheat oven to 350℉.
    Coat 6 muffin tins with coconut oil (or use paper muffin cups and add 1/2 tsp melted coconut oil to batter).
    Mix all ingredients and pour evenly into tins.
    Bake for 25 minutes on the middle rack.
    Sprinkle almonds on top immediately after taking them out of the oven."

I have yet to try them, but she is a chef, and if she says they're good, I believe her
    "Porthos dreams of being a bear, and you want to shatter those dreams by saying he's *just* a dog? What a horrible candle-snuffing word. That's like saying, 'He can't climb that mountain, he's just a man', or 'That's not a diamond, it's just a rock.' Just."
    ~ Finding Neverland

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast