Thread: Best time and place for post workout protein powder page

terrax is offline Member

Best time and place for post workout protein powder

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Okay.... when is the best time to consume post-workout protein powder??

I know that Mark says that the optimum time for protein uptake after a workout is within the first 30 minutes..

but those of the leangains variety go by one hour after workout to increase HGC and all that anabolic stuff etc.....

I am not lifting as heavy as lean gains--- i do more bodyweight and free weight stuff... and i dont always take protein, but on the more taxing days, i like to....

help a girl out!

Thanks

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    You don't need to worry about it. Just eat a good meal after you workout. Restoring glycogen post workout is BS unless you are going to workout again in a short period of time.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by terrax View Post
    but those of the leangains variety go by one hour after workout to increase HGC and all that anabolic stuff etc.....
    I don't remember reading that in any Leangains post. From what I could gather, the sooner the better was the message. I do remember seeing the protocol for fasting several hours post-workout where Martin recommended BCAAs pre and every other hour post-workout until the first meal.

Also, as long as you are putting forth near-maximal effort in your workout, you should do alright. For me, this is hard to do without weights, but that's mostly because I am unpracticed in body-weight exercises. For me, (and pretty much anybody) it's simpler to add weight to a bar than it is to figure out how to change leverage/etc. to make an exercise more challenging.

Quote Originally Posted by Fernaldo View Post
    You don't need to worry about it. Just eat a good meal after you workout. Restoring glycogen post workout is BS unless you are going to workout again in a short period of time.
    This is true for general health. However, the Leangains post-workout carb-up isn't about replinishing glycogen. The lifting style of Leangains isn't really very glycogen-depleting. It's more about creating an anabolic response (high insulin + plenty of protein).

rockstareddy is offline Senior Member
    Some leangains programs fast post workout for 5 hours on just BCAA?!

Fasting post workout has been shown to have benefits including fat burning and release of HGH.

there is no right or wrong time, as has been said, real real food, when you feel hungry, Eat most of it after training. And keep protein high.
    www.healthfreakrevolution.com

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Time: Never.
    Place: In the trash.

Not a fan of protein powder, or anything else processed. Real food is plenty for just about everyone.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

MariluChester is offline Junior Member
    You don't need to worry about it.