Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7 Month Plateau page

Mrs.Reid is offline Junior Member

7 Month Plateau

Primal Fuel
    I've been overweight my whole life. After marrying my husband, I went Primal in December 2010 - a month before my 21st birthday. Since then I've lost 54 lbs, which I am very happy about!
    The problem is that for the past 7 months, I've been stuck at 155-150lb and as a 5'2 female, that's not a good maintenance zone. My measurements haven't changed either (In seven months I've lost only an inch around my hips).

I've done so much within this time to try and get out of it.
    For a couple months I was eating only 800 cals, without knowing it. For the past two months I've bumped it up to 1200-1600 but still the scale bounces back and forth.
    I gave up dairy for two months, and that didn't so a significant effect either.
    I've kept my carbs between 25 and 60, and I've been doing Crossfit for 7 months. I don't want to give up but I'm so discouraged and don't know what else to do.

Most days look like this:

- 2-3 Eggs in coconut oil with onion/spinach and maybe 2 pieces of bacon.
    - Some roast beef or steak with lettuce, a tomato, broccoli and green pepper with some homemade olive oil+mustard+vinegar dressing.
    - tea with 3 tbs coconut milk
    - fish/steak/ground beef with a veggie like broccoli/B. Sprouts/Kale with coconut oil or butter on them.

lots of water.
    Even walking 4-5 hours a week.
    I avoid yams and fruit and limit nuts.

Just wondering if you guys had any advice or had seen/heard of similar situations or solutions before. Thanks so much! : )

Morgan

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    Good job so far - 54 lbs is serious business. Good for you
    To promote your weight loss goals further I would :

Get rid of the bacon and three table spoons of coconut oil in your tea. Everything else looks pretty good.

Instead of reducing calories more try upping your exercise and intensity.

When are you lifting heavy things? Doing sprints or high intensity training weekly?
    How much sleep do you get? Is it ideal?
    ad astra per aspera

Mrs.Reid is offline Junior Member
    Thank you Yeah, I definitely don't want to go back, just wish moving forward was easier!

Ok, I can take the bacon and coconut milk out - added it to up my calories because they were too low.

Very intense exercising at CF 3-4x a week. Each time I lift heavy things using functional movements.

Sleep is about 10/11 pm - 6:30/7:30 (7.5 to 8.5 hours). I think that's a good rage to shoot for.

@lex is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFastCat View Post
    Good job so far - 54 lbs is serious business. Good for you
    To promote your weight loss goals further I would :

Get rid of the bacon and three table spoons of coconut oil in your tea. Everything else looks pretty good.

Instead of reducing calories more try upping your exercise and intensity.

When are you lifting heavy things? Doing sprints or high intensity training weekly?
    How much sleep do you get? Is it ideal?
    I fully agree with this.

It's better to create a deficit through increased exercise than reducing the amount of food you eat. If you need to break the car in you don't reduce it's fuel, you drive it more. I know that's a piss poor analogy but I'm half asleep and can't think of something more suitable.

ppham27 is offline Member
    Just a guess, but I think some type of carb refeed or cheat day is in order. How are your energy levels? Eating 800 calories/day for a few months could lead to your body learning to run on that little fuel. Someone your size combined with the activity of doing CrossFit should be burning far more calories.

Other than that, maybe there's a nutritional deficiency somewhere? I think that it be hard to hit the RDA on 800-1200 calories/day.

If all else fails, get your hormone levels checked.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me can chime in.

touchdowntodd is offline Senior Member
    have you tried IFing?

and i agree you may need to go lower fat to get there ...
    started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

JoPaleo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ppham27 View Post
    Just a guess, but I think some type of carb refeed or cheat day is in order. How are your energy levels? Eating 800 calories/day for a few months could lead to your body learning to run on that little fuel. Someone your size combined with the activity of doing CrossFit should be burning far more calories.
    That's what I was thinking too. Do you not have fruits/yams because of the carb content? I would add some carbs because of the crossfit training. Try some sweet potatoes, squash and even yams especially post workout. Take out the coconut milk/bacon still. I say do this for 2 weeks and see what happens, if you're still plateau'd, come back here and maybe we can offer some other solutions. Good luck! : )

rockstareddy is offline Senior Member
    GOOD WORK!!

My suggestions are carb refeed, followed by IF and intensity of workout.

That last layer is the hardest to lose, your body has decided that your much healthier now and capillaries to that level os adipose may be less. Ive known so many go through the same as you... but you can do it!!
    www.healthfreakrevolution.com

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    I'll be watching this thread, since I have almost the exact same numbers and stall time! I'm just a bit taller.

FWIW I seem to do better with limiting my fat, IE not adding it everywhere. I'm not one of those people who can add wads of butter or coconut oil, or break through plateaus with Bulletproof coffee (I tried!)

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    How about upping your Crossfit to 4 times a week? It should still cost the same. In addition if you are gutsy enough you could add a fifth day of nothing but lifting. They will let you (or should let you) show up at the same time and do some lifts in the corner of the box apart from class.

You also might try hitting the 5 am or 6 am class in the morning - this will allow you to workout fasted from the night before. This is absolute magic in terms of fat burning. I got super lean (too lean!) doing this. It might sound like hell but honestly I am so happy to be done with my physical stuff by 6:15 am each day. Give it a shot you might really like it! It would definitely aid your goal of leaning out more by supporting fasted training.
    ad astra per aspera

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast