Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New here, and...I don't want to lose weight! page 3

kcurtain Guest

Primal Fuel

There's absolutely nothing wrong with having 10% body fat. That's actually about ideal for a man. My husband just tested at 10% and people always comment on him (and me) being skinny, but that's just because the majority of people are overweight nowadays. Compare yourself to someone living a tribal hunter-gatherer lifestyle and you probably look just fine. With your height and weight you could probably pass for a Masai!

As for your doctor, the study that was been done correlating low body fat/BMI with higher rates of death included peoplein the analysis with diseases that can cause wasting, which skews the results. Actually, when patients were followed over long periods of time, it was found that weight change (from a higher to a lower BMI) is the best predictor for increased mortality.

Tarlach is offline Member

[quote]

by gaining weight you will gain fat as well
    </blockquote>

As I said, this is not true.

Eating a massive amount of calories while strength training does not have to make you store fat (even with already low body fat).

I&#39;m over 6&#39; and less than 180lb. I eat a stupid amount of calories and I&#39;m building muscle whilst losing fat.

It&#39;s more about what you eat and when.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Stabby is offline Senior Member

I don&#39;t think I gained any fat and my muscles are bigger. But I will admit that there is a chance the 5 pounds in 2 weeks was partly water fluctuation. That does seem to be too good to be true. Point is, the muscles are bigger and stronger and noticeably so.

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

animalcule is offline Senior Member

Tarlach, any cites?

[quote]

Tarlach, any cites?
    </blockquote>

This is mostly just personal experience (and what I have heard from others here). But there&#39;s no better proof than to see it work on yourself.

Here&#39;s some info I read today:
    [quote]

For 75% of the population, I strongly believe that if you want to gain lean body mass while losing fat, the low-carb approach will do it better than anything
    </blockquote>
    [quote]

Hypertrophy and strength aren&#39;t hindered when carbohydrate intake is limited. That&#39;s a common thought, but is just not true, nor holds any substantial evidence. Hypertrophy and strength gains are staled when your energy intake is too low. You can eat a LCD and still excel in the weightroom just as long as you&#39;re eating enough food. </blockquote>

Part 2 is here

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )

animalcule is offline Senior Member

Tarlach your wife eats very similarly to you, correct? Does she also train, and if so, has she seen the same sort of results you have? I&#39;m wondering what differences there are between men and women.

I have gained weight since going high-calorie primal. I do eat tubers and lots of dairy, and I haven&#39;t been working out whatsoever. Even so I&#39;ve gained visible muscle growth and definition on my body parts that don&#39;t carry any fat (belly, arms, back, lower legs). But my butt, thighs and boobs are putting on more padding, enough that it&#39;s obscuring formerly defined muscles (pectoral region, thigh muscles). My hormones seem to be balancing on this diet (from acne to menstrual cycle to a vast decrease in both the rate of body hair growth and the fineness of the hairs), and I think it&#39;s natural that this would cause increases in feminine body markers (more fat distributed in certain ways being the big thing that sets us apart from men).

My wife eats more often than I do and more carbs. She has to make meals for the kids and end up eating when they do.

We do our training together. She has lots a lot of body fat over the years and she&#39;s trying to put some muscle back on now.

It&#39;s hard to tell how she is going, because she is still losing fat, but her arms are looking much more defined now. She&#39;s also doing well with improving strength.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

ccunningham is offline Junior Member

me either...

I decided to go primal (cold turkey) last month. I'm 5-10 and now weigh 129. Lost 6 pounds last month while i was on the diet. I'm fairly active... rock climbing, mountain biking, etc... but not much weightlifting at all. I don't want to lose the weight... I was eating a lot... way more than normal. I was never hungry, but ate anyway. I'll try some more heavy lifting and adding some more calories. Butter on EVERYTHING! haha... thanks for all the good input!

AppalachianMatt is offline Senior Member
    I understand your pain but from a different aspect. When i started this I weighed 195 lbs and I looked pretty healthy. I had always carried a little fat on me which made me look a little bigger than I actually was. When I started eating Primally I lost about 20 lbs over a 2 month period while working out on a more consistent basis. I started to get worried I was getting to skinny but I changed my mentality when I saw how much healthier I was/felt. With this lifestyle most if not all people will lose weight b/c you change your eating habits. You're not eating as many fillers and the food you do eat is what we evolved on so it will make your body run more efficiently. I workout all the time. I rock climb, climb ropes, trees, body weight exercises and sprints. I don't lift too many heavy things b/c of my back but I am started too. This will only help accelerate the process for me as I know it would for you as well.

I was glad to lose the weight b/c I am now going to challenge Mark with a few pics of my own in the next few months. Of course I am also 25 yrs younger than he is but if anyone has proven this will work at nearly any age it would be him. Since I started to think of myself too small I added more high quality fat and almost doubled my protein intake. I've been able to add about 6 lbs of lean muscle and hope to add 5-10 lbs more in the next 3-4 months. You just to to tweak what you eat, the amount and how you exercise. It's not hard to do if you can come up with a good plan and attack it form all angles. I don't count all the fat grams, protein like I should but in your case I would suggest keeping a journal with everything you're eating so you can better track. You'll know if I shoudl add more of this or less of that. I've started ot do this somewhat but still trying to work out a system that suits me.
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

tamo42 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You might also look into Scrawny to Brawny. It's specifically targeted at hardgainers.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast