Thread: Homemade butter and homemade sausage - weekend food projects page

Primal Bob is offline Member

Homemade butter and homemade sausage - weekend food projects

Shop Now
    I love a good food project and making something I used to buy in stores for myself. I'd always wanted to try making butter for myself (I know it's something that a ton of people did in Kindergarten). So I bought some organic cream from pastured cows and set about it. I used a wire whisk attachment for the kitchen aid mixer and went to town. The results yield much fresher tasting butter and your own fresh butter milk that I'll use for buttermilk roasted chicken.

I love good sausage, but I'm not a fan of the preservatives, and after eating some questionable meat last week, I decided I was going to make my own. So I bought an 8 lb pork butt from the grocery store and trimmed about 3 lbs for sausage (the other 5 are currently in my crock pot preparing to be made into delicious Kalua pork). So I whipped out the meat grinder that was the basis of a memorable Christmas and ground the 3 lbs of pork and mixed in white vinegar, chili powder, cumin, cayenne, paprika, and garlic salt for a good homemade chorizo without the nitrates that the grocery store brands yield.

A project on my radar next is to buy a pork belly and make some home-cured bacon. What are your food projects?

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Good stuff! I have also made butter with my Kitchen-Aid and liked the results.

I also like making kimchi, sauerkraut, and kombucha.

I have the grinder attachment for my kitchenaid and have used it only for ground beef so far. I plan to make some sausage soon though. I even got the stuffer attachment so I can try making links.

I also like making ice cream. I've had good results with cream and coconut milk. I've made almond, coffee, chocolate, and plain vanilla. I think next I'm going to try making banana coconut ice cream with actualy young coconut flesh blended up in it. Might even add a splash of rum! Adding uncooked alcohol helps the ice cream from freezing rock hard.