Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making Fermented Pickles! page

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member

Thumbs up Making Fermented Pickles!

Four Days ago I followed Mark's Recipe to make fermented pickles

Three big 32 oz jars filled with big split cucumbers! I spiced two jars with a ton of fresh dill, two cloves of garlic and two tablespoons of sea salt. Then in the third jar I added additional curry powder.

Two days ago bubbles started forming in my two dill jars! Still no bubbles in the jar that I spiced with curry powder (maybe it won't allow bacteria to grow?).

I plan on eating the pickles in three days! I have been salivating thinking about it!

I'll post pics when I do.

Anyone done this yet?
    ad astra per aspera

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Haven't done it yet but it's on my to-make list! Kirbys haven't looked so hot at the store. Two tbsp salt per jar or total?
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    I added two tablespoons per jar since the original recipe called for just a single jar.
    I am excited! Hard to wait until Thursday to try them!
    ad astra per aspera

Alaska Ang is offline Senior Member
    I started two jars last weekend and tried them yesterday. OMG they are so salty. I used the two tablespoons of salt plus a mixed pickling spice from a local shop. There wasnt any salt in the mix. Rinsing them off and adding a bit of vinegar helped but I will try again with less salt.

jhc
    jhc is offline Senior Member
    Mine came out extremely salty, inedibly so.

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Note: I think I'll cut the salt in half. I picked up some Kirbys tonight. They still aren't as nice as the ones we used to grow but for experimentation purposes, they'll do.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

touchdowntodd is offline Senior Member
    keep us informed! i MISS pickles LOL
    started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

Alaska Ang is offline Senior Member
    Okay, so I did some searching on brine pickles, and here's where I think the issue might have been, at least for mine. The bacteria that makes the fermentation is on the skin of the pickles. Wiki says that commercial processing typically removes the bacteria and so only freshly picked cucumbers should be used. I used mini cucumbers that I bought at costco, so definitely not fresh off the vine. It appears that the more salt the more sour the pickles should be, but only if the fermenting is going right. I will try again, but probably not till later this summer. In the meantime, I'm going to try making sauerkraut and save the pickles for when we have fresh produce locallly.

ETA: If anyone does have luck with commercially available pickles, please let us know. I'd love to have some before late summer.

jak757 is offline Member
    The link below is a great sit on fermentation. I made sour pickles all last summer, and have been making sauerkraut and kimchi recently. Great stuff, and so easy to do.

Wild Fermentation :: Making Sour Pickles

sugarcrystal8 is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm sorry to read the recipe is coming out too salty. I started mine 2 days ago so I won't try them for a few more days. Do you think keeping them in a full 10 days will make them more sour? I will test mine in 2 more days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast