Thread: Ideas for Pilchards/Sardines, other than in a sarnie/salad??!! page

newlife77 is offline Member

Ideas for Pilchards/Sardines, other than in a sarnie/salad??!!

Shop Now
    Hi all,

I have never really consumed much of the above but they're such a cheap and good source of O3 (and other vits and mins) so I'd like to start eating them and giving them to my children (currently 5 & 3yrs).

My kids aren't currently Primal, but the aim is for them to join me too (hopefully along with hubby) once I've learnt all about it this more and nailed it myself (seems there's a LOT to learn!!) - so I can make the right choices for them too!

I have given them pilchards/mayo in their sandwiches and told them that it's Tuna (something they've always had) and they bought it - !! But these types of fish have a very strong taste and even I can't imagine eating them without them being cocooned in a bread sandwich to temper down the flavour a bit if you see what I mean?! The other thing is that it's cold here in the UK this time of yr and you just want something warm-ish for lunch and not a cold salad!

So, anyone got any ideas?! Much appreciated!!

H x
    An English girl who's been on lots of different diets, weight gone up and down but always been a naturalist at heart and have always wondered why "Conventional Wisdom" diets don't allow you to eat red meat and nuts - that are purely natural things?! So feel I've found my niche in the PB/Paleo Lifestyle and really want to make this my way of life for good!!!

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I have seen recipes for sardines cooked curry style. I did it once and it was very good. There's a thread on here somewhere with a recipe, but I'm sure you can Google one too. Or just make one up. Saute onions/garlic in butter or coconut oil, add spices (turmeric, curry powder, corainder, etc.), add coconut milk, add sardines, done! You can serve it as a soup or over rice if you're not trying to limit carbs.

Found it: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post542792

The Google search built-in on this site didn't find it, but a plain Google search with "Mark' daily apple" added in did, go figure.

Ok, just googled about a bit and found that Pilchards are actually the same fish as Sardines, lol!!! Shame that most recipies I found are with pasta! Fishcakes made with sweet pototo might be a good one? Anyone had those?

H x
    An English girl who's been on lots of different diets, weight gone up and down but always been a naturalist at heart and have always wondered why "Conventional Wisdom" diets don't allow you to eat red meat and nuts - that are purely natural things?! So feel I've found my niche in the PB/Paleo Lifestyle and really want to make this my way of life for good!!!

PrimalCon New York
    Thanks for that Yodiewan!! I've always felt that fish and curry don't go - probably on cos I was raised on a very CW, plain british diet which didn't include a lot of fish at all - unless it was fishfingers or from the fish n chip shop!! I remember my Dad would have the odd smoked mackeral for breakfast some Sunday's but all I remember of that is me: "eeerrrrrr the house stinks of fish!!!"

However, starting Primal has also opened up a whole new lot of things to me and I am now a lot more open minded when it comes to food etc so I may well just give this a go!! If I don't like it them I'm sure hubby or kids would - they like their spicey food!!

H x