Page 1 of 147 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal journal : Coll page

Coll is offline Senior Member

Primal journal : Coll

Primal Fuel
    I am a 46 yr old female. 5'7" and 216.5 lbs ( 225 when I started eating primal 12 days ago) Goal weight - 135 lbs. Not sure what a realistic time frame would be so will just go for it and see what happens.

I have struggled for years now with sugar addiction, in fact since I was a little kid. I have had times where I did not eat any sugar for a few months and felt fantastic and then tried eating 'just one' and fell right off the wagon. We eat pretty healthily overall, no refined foods at all for years now, but have been eating 'healthy' grains like Ezekiel bread. I knew it didn't agree with me but due to convenience and stress I have been eating quite a bit. Of course I have a history of bingeing on chocolate and other junk food - usually sweets, but also chips. (which are really just salty sugar anyway) For many years I maintained a reasonable weight despite my abuse of junk food. But the years of sugar and then a few pregnancies and tons of stress, sleepless nights, night duty (7 twelve hour shifts on duty and then 7 off for years) and all the other myriad things that life throws our way has ended up with me being absolutely miserable in my own skin. I was always very active and 'sporty' but have ended up struggling to move faster than a brisk walk now because of my weight and horrid state of fitness.

I have an auto-immune problem with my skin and have just started a treatment on my left arm in the hopes that combining good food and lifestyle with the treatment will see my skin clear up, or at least look less angry. Of course right now it looks awful and feels awful too. I have felt that I am on the verge of type II diabetes if I keep on the way I have been. I have two young kids who don't know what it is like to have mommy run and play with them - I want and need some fun back in my life. I want to be able to play hacky sack again, ride another endurance race, get in a swimsuit without looking for a paper bag to put over my head so that no-one knows who that horrid body belongs to!!!

I have been doing ok so far these last 12 days. I have been reading as much as I can of all the wealth of information on this site. I have not read the books - can't afford it right now and the library is taking forever to get the one copy available in our whole district to me I am totally sugar free except for the occasional spoonful of raw honey in my tea as a treat.

Today my meals were:
    Brunch - left over stew. Half a bell pepper. Cup of black tea with a little raw milk and some heavy cream, smidgen of stevia. Felt awful after the stew as I had done a treatment on my arm and I think the pain made my stomach rebel when the food arrived. Once the pain settled the indigestion disappeared...
    Snack- half an apple (was off so had to throw some away) and a slice of organic cheddar. Another cup of black tea this time with honey and cream.
    Snack- handful of raw almonds, raw cashews and a few raisins. Half an orange bell pepper as I prepared dinner - my stomach was hurting.(the bell peppers are on sale 10 for $10 - even the red, orange and yellow ones!)
    Dinner - Steamed artichokes with garlic butter and 1 1/2 sausage (fried in bacon fat) with homemade sauerkraut ( awesome! Cabbage, onion, garlic, ginger and some tamari sauce femented on the counter for weeks -yum)

Will get DH to help me get a before pic...

Have been taking walks with the kids. Still need to get into the exercise routine - just printed off the primal fitness book and have been digesting that. Did do some squats today but busy-ness got in the way and so will try my first LHT workout tomorrow. Kind of eager to see how I do, I know I am really unfit and weak after almost a year of not moving much at all. Have some pretty nasty back and neck issues that I have been working on with my chiropracter and have recently gotten the 'go-ahead' to get moving again. I don't think anything in the LHT workout will be a problem and I am itching to get stronger and leaner and fitter again.

On a side note, I have been so thirsty the last few days. My mouth is constantly dry and my kids complain that my breath is not smelling good. Do you think this is my system transitioning into using fat rather than sugar? I am having trouble finding words at the moment - will start to say something and then have to stop and try and find the word I am needing. I am feeling more energetic overall, but a bit irritable too. Fortunately I don't have any junk in the cupboards so when I start cruising for a snack I can only find healthy ones I am having a hard time getting to sleep so have been taking melatonin at bedtime and last night I slept pretty well. I have also found that I am getting cold a lot easier, I am always hot and my DH jokes that I could provide heat for the family on cold nights. But the last few nights I have had to pull an extra blanket on and my feet are cold - unheard of! Last night I also had some half hearted cramps in my legs and hip that I had to keep shifting position to ease...

On a postive note, my clothes are already feeling just that little bit more comfortable and I can't wait for them to just fall off me! I have a long way to go but I am also delighted to be on the journey at last!

Slept well last night, put an extra blanket on from the get go and was much more comfortable. No cramps last night Took a few nasty pics of myself ... have to see if I can figure out the tech side as it is a new camera. Am going to try and do LHT today. Will let you know how it went later. Not real hungry this morning when I woke up, starting to feel some hunger now... 10:15 am. I homeschool our two kids so have a relatively flexible schedule ... am going to do my exercise before school otherwise the day runs away from me.

Day 2.

Breakfast: None, black tea with raw milk and cream, stevia.
    Lunch: Frittata (eggs, spinach, onion, cauliflower, org. cheddar cheese) cooked in bacon fat. Black tea with milk & stevia.
    Snack: celery stick with peanut butter. Herbal tea.
    Dinner: Ground beef stew on a bed of lightly sauteed cabbage. Chunk of raw bell pepper.

It has been a pretty good day. Have tried to only eat when hungry. Feel ready for bed tonight... decided to do the lowest levels of LHT today as a start and to see how I coped. I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to do the wall pushes - 40 each set. However, I was working pretty hard to make that happen. So awesome to be starting at last. The exercises are a good workout and yet simple and doable. I am going to continue with the wall pushes for the next few times as I can feel I am just barely making it.
    The wall squats were tough! I only managed to do 12 reps and then 14 the second time! I have had some knee trouble recently so decided to err on the side of being careful as I really don't want to deal with injuries.
    Pull-ups :- we don't have a pull up bar or anything else yet to use so will have to wait on those for now.
    Hand/ knee planks: I was amazed at how much of a workout this was!! I did the 90 seconds both times but was really feeling the strain by the end and puffing like a train! Pretty cool how such an innocuous exercise can do so much. THe side planks were a lot harder I found with all my not inconsiderable weight to deal with! The left side I did the 45 seconds, but to my surprise my right arm (I am right handed) was extremely wobbly right from the beginning and I kept feeling like my arm was going to just give way, so only managed 26 seconds of that. All in all I feel like I had a good workout and I am glad that we don't have a pull up bar as my upper back is having a lot to say this evening! Looking forward to getting some muscle tone and stronger and fitter. Woopee, I am on the journey, got a long way to go, but I am moving ahead.

Tomorrow I am going to weigh myself to see if there are any changes. Hopefully I have lost a little more weight! Guess we'll see
    Last edited by Coll; 02-27-2012 at 07:40 PM.

DSCN0092.jpgDSCN0094.jpg
    Hope this works, have not added pics here before. These are two pics from today, my before shots. I hope that I will have some vastly improved pics to show in due course.

Day 3. (today is actually day 14 since I started eating primal) I weighed myself today and I am down to 216 lbs after starting at 225 lbs two weeks ago! Yay!

I have still been really thirsty today, definitely feel like I am somewhat ketotic. LIttle bit of a headache this evening otherwise have felt relatively good. I am amazed how little I have as far as cravings for sugar. I really thought I would struggle more initially with cutting it out completely... not that I am complaining or anything It is amazing how much more satisfying it is eating more fat... I just don't get hungry as much.

Breakfast: midmorning again. 2 slices bacon, 2 eggs cooked in the bacon fat, 3 raw mushrooms and 3/4 orange bell pepper.
    Mug of black tea with raw milk and stevia.
    Lunch: Greek yoghurt with raw almonds, raw cashews, chia seed and sesame seeds, handful of raspberries. Slice of cheese.
    Snack: Celery stick with peanutbutter, 2 slices of cheese.
    Cup of raw milk with carob powder, stevia and vanilla essence. Tiny bit of stevia was too much, I ended up feeling some cravings for the first time since starting this whole thing. Don't think I'll do this again for now - maybe too close to chocolate flavour.
    Dinner: chili, I know the legumes are not the best but am doing the best I can on a very tight budget
    The kids and I went for a walk this afternoon. It is very stop start with kids, got to stop to check out all the interesting things we see, not sure what kind of exercise value this has... there are times the kids run and then others we walk pretty slowly. I felt pretty good though - so good to get out in the fresh air and nature. Saw a little bird in the stream sitting on a rock and then dive under the water and zoom along until it popped up somewhere else. Very cute indeed. Oh, we walked about a third of the way barefoot just carrying our shoes. It is cold here but no snow on the ground and actually if there wasn't any wind today would have been relatively nice (about 40 F) The kids were thrilled to be running along barefoot - it looked really odd as we were bundled up in jackets and wooly hats with our bare feet peeking out the bottom. I am sure people's eyes must have been bugging out as they drove past Hahaha. Fun! On another note, I am feeling a bit stiff today after my LHT yesterday. I rediscovered my triceps, my thighs needed that IT band worked this morning

I went out to the shed barefoot today to check on the chickens and it was interesting to note the sensations as I walked on cold stony ground, a little sprinkling of snow, mud, concrete, then old carpet and hay and alfalfa. Noticed more about my surroundings I guess.

Need to figure out what kind of sprints I should do. I am not in good shape and the last time I ran (not a sprint by any stretch of the imagination) I hurt my knee. I think the weather is going to be nasty tomorrow and I can't go for a bike ride in the snow... I think I may do sprints on our rebounder for now so that it is a lower impact and be real careful to warm up and ease into the faster part. I think I may also try going less than all out for now - get this body moving carefully. Just got to deal with where I am, at not where I wish I was. I'll get there eventually if I just keep trying huh?!

Looking forward to getting to bed at a good time tonight. The last couple of nights were later than I prefer and it really does seem to mess with me the next day. Have been sharing what is going on with DH and he is pretty interested too. In fact he has quit eating any bread which is a big deal for him. Now to get my kids on board. DD is actually pretty easy, loves to try new things and has a pretty amazing grasp (9 yrs old) of what is healthy and what isn't. DS is 6 and has always been a VERY fussy eater! He is an easy kid in many ways but the food side of things is tough. He loves fruit, he has a few veggies that he likes. Only artichoke cooked and everything else must be raw. He likes cauliflower and cabbage - but won't touch it if it is cooked. Occasional carrots, likes eggs in certain forms, loves ezekiel bread, eats yoghurt with a little honey, likes nuts, meat is hard for him except in tiny amounts. I fill him up with raw milk and home made supplements. Anyway, he has a very limited repertoire and it just about drives me nuts but if I stop and look it is relatively good considering what a lot of kids eat.

Well, I slept better last night than I have in ages. I think part of the deal is that I decided to skip my before bed treatment on my arm - it is so painful and takes a long time to calm down. The sheets touching my skin is intolerable but the cold air outside the bed also hurts. It takes ages for me to get comfortable enough to relax and sleep. So, as of yesterday, I am going to do my last treatment earlier in the evening so that hopefully by bedtime I can just drop right off to sleep. So simple but it has taken me a couple of weeks to figure that out WHen I am busy in the day I can kind of ignore the pain except right after the treatment. But at bedtime you have all the time in the world and no distractions - makes for unpleasant sensations. I was ready to give up my treatments yesterday, but I also noticed that my lesions are progressing as they should so I hate to give up now.

I tried black tea with only heavy cream and a tiny bit of stevia this morning - mmm, heavenly! I don't even miss my honey in the tea this morning. I think I am getting used to the different taste of stevia. Not really hungry right now so will eat later on this morning. I have to say, why do we have to have sugar in just about every bacon type out there?! I grew up in South Africa and our bacon never had sugar in. I just can't stand that sweet taste in with the bacon flavour - it really messes it up I have found a nice bacon at Wholefoods at last, but it makes me want to raise our own pigs so we can have delicious pork and bacon without all the junk added! Looking at getting a little dairy cow sometime in the future... just think of all the cream and cheese and butter .... gorgeous homemade, non sugar icecream, yoghurt and kefir any time I want..... mmmmmmm! Dream on! We are renting at the moment while we look for our new little homestead site ..... so will just have to wait. Probably good as I need to first get my weight and insulin issues settled before I can truly enjoy that bounty.

Am going to try my first set of sprints today ... on the rebounder. I was reading up all the details and I think that is going to work well for me at this stage. I don't have anyone to leave the kids with so bike riding is out - though it does look like a nice day out there.

DH, is going to rig up a pull up bar outside - maybe the back porch...but he is crazy busy at the moment so will just have to wait patiently. I have never been eager to try pull ups before. Being a woman I have never had much upper body strength and the thoughts of eventually being able to do pull ups is pretty thrilling

Shamia is offline Senior Member
    You are doing good!
    And you look just like one of my best friends! And you sound just as nice.

I wish we could raise our own pigs and cow and chickens. That would be awewome! Maybe something you can add to your "new-home-wishlist"? Or is your hubby not really in to live stock for food?

Hi Shamia, thanks for your reply! Actually my hubby is right on board with the growing your own food thing Glad about that! We actually have a tiny flock of bantams right now as our landlords started to get antsy at the thought of more Next month our new pullets should start laying a few little bantam eggs for us. We moved from a lovely homestead so hubby could get a decent job and are in the midst of lots of transition right now just trying to get the new business off the ground. It is hard for me not having our little orchard of fruit and nut trees, our BIG chicken coop, our 9 acres of forest, my raised bed gardens all ready and waiting for me to work with them... sigh... hope we can get to that soon again. Trying to make the best out of what we have here and have some blueberries in pots etc. Thank you for your sweet comments ... I feel encouraged.
    Last edited by Coll; 02-29-2012 at 07:08 PM.

Aaaah, lovely dinner! I ate a whole pork chop (big and juicy) and a heap of brussel sprouts! I feel so good now... didn't realise how hungry I was until I had eaten a little and started to feel better. Talk about out of touch - I was feeling tired and kind of down this afternoon... still tired but feel like I just got some good fuel on board. My daughter's eyes nearly bugged out when she saw how much food was on my plate ... and the thing was I knew I needed it and that it won't make me fat How can you not like that!

Breakfast: late, 2 slices of bacon, two fried eggs, about a cup of sauerkraut (cabbage, onion, garlic, ginger...)
    Lunch: greek yoghurt with a few almonds, cashews, and raspberries.
    Dinner: pork chops and a ton of brussel sprouts steamed and then fried in butter and sprinkled with freshly ground black pepper

Did not get around to my sprint today ... just didn't feel up to it. Will try tomorrow again... My arm has been so sore today that I felt nauseous for a while and light headed, had to lay down after my last treatment and the pain continued for hours. So hard to think straight when it is like that. I have had it with this treatment for now. Am done as of right now. I am hoping that the change in diet and lifestyle will help to resolve some of my skin issues without having to do such drastic and painful measures.

I am feeling all inspired to make some new types of fermented veggies. I have two quart size jars of my sauerkraut left, and a different 'flavour' sauerkraut (a gallon) sitting on the counter getting nice and fermented. For some reason I am dying to try fermented cauliflower. I have never tasted it and yet I start drooling at the thought. I also want to try fermented garlic. The thing I like about the fermented veggies is that it really is very little work for great results. I

I have been trying to be more active overall, less sitting and when I do it is not for the same length of time as before. I know these are just baby steps, but when you are a baby that is the best thing to do huh? I feel like an early night tonight ... just pooped today for some reason. I have been clumsy and fragile today. I can't remember when I last had a day like this - like I can't think too straight today.

Was able to order vitamins today, and D3 for the kids as theirs ran out a couple of weeks ago... haven't taken vitamins for some months ... I can tell the difference in my nails and my skin when I don't take them. Just wish the PB book would hurry up and become available ...

On a light note, one of our bantam pullets laid her first egg today - the kids were thrilled

Shamia is offline Senior Member
    Yay! An egg! Congrats! Will that make you a gramma or are you going to eat it? (not sure if you have a rooster?)

I hope your arm feels better today! My book finally arrived yesterday, but I'm saving it for my vacation (off to Spain this Saturday for a week).

You don't have to sprint if you don't feel like it, do you? I mean, with your arm. Babysteps should do, think anything that is more than what you usually did is bonus.

Take care!

Page 1 of 147 1231151101 ... LastLast