Page 99 of 147 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal journal : Coll page 99

Coll is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    We are back online after some days of no access to the internet - a very small price to pay. I was just reading a report on the flooding by the county emergency website and they said that the areas that had the worst damage had a 1000 year flood. Yup, no typo, 1000 year flood!!!! The less severely affected areas had a 100 year flood. Unbelievable - I have goosebumps on my goosebumps at the moment. Somehow we got off scot free except for inconveniences - they just don't count when there are still well over a 1000 people still stranded with no way to get out. The weather has been unhelpful to the helicopters that are trying to evacuate the folk who are trapped. There are whole roads washed away in areas where there is only one road .... grateful that we could not buy a house yet, as the areas that were worst hit are some of the areas where we have been looking for a home. I was able to hop in the car with the kids today and go grocery shopping - I have to go through a military checkpoint both ways as our road up into the canyon is still closed - but that really is a benefit for us. Much less traffic except there is a lot of heavy machinery going past working on roads and bridges further up.

I am starting to relax after all the chaos of the last couple of months and then the floods too. I have been sick twice in the last month and I know that it is because of the stress. I also had to cut about 6 inches of hair off as it was an absolute mess. Again, nothing has changed except my stress levels. I have to confess that I feel really weird with so much hair gone - it feels so short, and yet it is still almost at my waist. DS was shocked, he loves to play with my hair and he doesn't approve of the neat ends and freshly cut feel.

I took some time today to do some rock painting. I want to try and do 30 minutes of something that I love everyday. I want to keep building skills and also the stress relief is important for me. So I am going to try and do 30 minutes of painting every day for the next 30 days. Then I want to add in my bagpipe practice again for the next 30 days. We'll see how that goes but it sure sounds fun. I am trying to expand my horizons in the rock painting while still doing the cutesy ones. We have the craft fair coming up in December again and I am hoping to sell and bunch of rocks again. I am encouraging DH to get going with his whittling again - he sure could use some relaxation too.

I am eating pretty well but no real change in my body composition. I just started supplementing with iodine today. We'll see how that goes. I have also just started using hemp oil on my skin and we'll see if that brings any improvement. I am just doing it on my left forearm so that I can compare with the rest of my limbs and see how much is related to the hemp oil and how much of the (hoped for) improvement is related to the other supplements.

I made fermented green beans and the family LOVES them. They are rather yummy if I say so myself. I will be making more batches as I have loads of green beans at the moment. I have also been drinking beet kvass lately and this batch is so delish ...

Still fighting off a cough - keeps feeling as though it is going to take hold again. So tired of being sick and tired ... I need a change soon!
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 13 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 227 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by, and that has made all the difference." Robert Frost.

I think it is perfect timing for a 21 day reset I missed it yesterday with all the other stuff going on so will just start tomorrow. I think DH will want to do it with me as he was just saying he feels like he needs a reset after all the stress we have been under.

So am going to plan some stuff today and start tomorrow (and eat the last couple of pieces of chocolate that I have lying around and then they won't be calling with the 'sugar siren song' - thanks for that Siobhan )

"I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by, and that has made all the difference." Robert Frost.

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Coll! I am so glad to hear from you! I was so worried! I hear all this stuff and my mind goes to unhappy places. I am glad you and your family are safe and well.

And I'm glad you're joining the 21-Day-Challenge. Me too!
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Thanks Siobhan, keeping good company if you're also doing the 21 day challenge. I keep hoping that my body will start to work efficiently and healthily and that the weight will start to come off without me having to count calories and 'deprive' myself.

For some reason I had a terrible time trying to sleep last night - even after I doubled the usual amount of melatonin! It is incredible how much a sleepless night affects my weight - 2.5 lbs up from yesterday. Sleep can be so frustrating!!! Just the night before I had an awesome nights sleep and had a really good day as a result. I have no idea what precipitated the bad night - I can't think of anything I did or ate that could have affected me so much. One of those nights where you never really get into a deep sleep, always drifting near the surface and constant getting up to go to the bathroom or close windows because of rain and wind and so on. Ok, I am done whining for today

The kids and I went for a walk yesterday afternoon to go and see the levels of the river. Just astounding to see how much water is still roaring by. And the size of the tree that is wedged against the bridge pillars. No wonder the road is cut off - only locals allowed through and road crews. It was just a few months ago that repairs were done on the bridges near us. There are two forks of the river that have two bridges almost next to each other. I can see that the one may well need some repairs. The gas line, that I had no idea it even was present, was hooked by the trees and bent into some pretty weird shapes. It is really amazing that the line did not break! Now it has been roped up in a few spots to support it until such time that they can come and replace it. I can't imagine what hours the utility crews are working at the moment - it has to be so overwhelming with the amount of damage. I was just seeing last night that the area that was flooded was/ is the size of the state of Connecticut!!

My heel is slightly less painful - but still really hampering my movement. I have been taking short walks with the kids - I am so sick of sitting around. But it really fires up the inflammation I will try to keep a low profile today and see if it settles down more.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Water is so powerful.

Back in tenth grade our geology teacher did a multi-day display that still sticks in my memory. He filled a huge garden bed with rocks, soil, sand, etc, and set a garden hose, just running lightly, at one end of it. Over the next few days, we observed how the water wore things away, making canyons, flood plains, rivers, all kinds of stuff. He had an 'uplift' one day, to show how the water would still work its way through.

And that was just from a HOSE. When Mother Nature gets going, it is amazing.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    One of my friends here said, "I don't know why the people living in canyons are shocked by the flooding. Those canyons weren't carved by sunshine".

Wasn't very high on the empathy meter...but was pretty true.

Sent via F-22 Raptor

Mr Anthony - that is true. The thing is we are almost always in drought so when some of the high areas got over 21 inches of rain (which is a lot even in areas that are not alpine dessert) it is shocking. We know that the canyons are the result of floods - it's just that we have not been around a flood of such magnitude before and the impact on the folk and critters that live around here is hard to see ....

My Achilles tendon is hurting badly today!! Can hardly walk around - and I guess that means that my time sitting at the table painting yesterday was not well spent. I was trying to think why it would be so agitated today - part of it is that I tend to rest my forefoot on the lower rung on the chair ... and that stretches my Achilles a lot. Note to self - don't do it! Also, I was out doing chicken chores and the heavens opened - I ran back to the house. Note to self, rather get wet next time!!

I had a blast painting yesterday. I am working on my biggest project so far and am enjoying the challenge. Nothing earth shattering, but really fun for me. It is a 10# rock that was exposed by the flood and I am painting an emperor penguin and its chick on it. I have a couple other large rocks that I want to try doing some other pics on too. A year ago I would not have thought I could do it - but here I am enjoying it and hoping I can sell some of these at the craft fair. DH will make a stand for this rock as it is not a standing one. Going to have to figure out what on earth I could ask for something like this - never an easy task.

I have made two more jars of fermented green beans, the first jar is almost gone. Also been freezing a lot of them - I love to add them to stews and soups. It is nice to be caught up on the bean harvest for the moment - for a while there the refrigerator was full of green beans tucked into every corner I could find.

I would love to see your rocks! They sound super cool.

I was thinking of you as I stole a tomato from the landlord's garden today. What, you say? Well, I took it without asking, even though I know he would tell me to help myself, it is still stealing. Even though I took a frost damaged one. But it was absolutely delicious, maybe the best tomato ever. And I was thinking of doing chores in return for produce!

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

LOL Siobhan, baaaadd girl Obviously it is needing to be eaten as it is still on the vine after a frost. You're just helping with fall garden cleanup You're already doing the chores ....

Once I have a few more rocks painted, including the big one I am busy with I'll take a pic and put it on here. I haven't done any pics for ages - slipping up I guess.

Can't wait to see them!

The tomato was all black on one side, but I only wanted a slice or two anyway to eat with some bacon, so I swiped it. I figured no one else would want it. I cut off the black and the rest was perfect and extremely delicious - very sweet, very tomato-y. Actually the thing was huge so even with the black part there was still lots of edible bit. I think it was very primal of me!