Page 96 of 147 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106146 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal journal : Coll page 96

Coll is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    It is really nice Annie Tonight I think I may have a shot of mint cordial since that is now ready too.
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 224.8 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Ok, lots of sitting in the car this weekend, we drove out of state to see DH's family and an old friend who is close to passing away. I am glad we went, but it was exhausting too. Just over a week until the kids and I head for SC. So much to do! We now have a bear in our neighborhood We came home to our bird feeder bent over at 90 degrees to the ground with two of the feeders completely destroyed. It was interesting to see what the bear was after - the sunflower seeds and the suet. All that yummy fat! It also spread our trash across the whole place - our landlord was nice enough to pick it all up again. It did take us a while to find the trash can though! It makes me worry about our chickens - it would not take a bear long to tear the little coops apart to get to them I have not said anything to the kids because I don't want them freaking out. But we are looking into getting some electric fencing to cordon them off from marauders! YIKES.

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Do some research and ask around before you invest in electric fencing - around here the bears will go right through it once they have had success finding food on your property. It is only considered an effective deterrent if you have never had a bear raid. But maybe it is different with different bears - brown bears, black bears, etc. Not a bear expert. Have never even seen a wild bear. But we talk about bears a lot here!
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

In My Next Life, I'm Gonna Be A Bear

If you're a bear, you get to hibernate. You do nothing but sleep for six months.

I could deal with that.

Before you hibernate, you're supposed to eat yourself stupid.

I could deal with that, too.

If you're a bear, you birth your children (who are the size of walnuts) while you're sleeping and wake to partially grown, cute cuddly cubs.

I could definitely deal with that.

If you're a mama bear, everyone knows you mean business. You swat anyone who bothers your cubs. If your cubs get out of line, you swat them too.

I could deal with that.

If you're a bear, your mate EXPECTS you to wake up growling.
    He EXPECTS that you will have hairy legs and excess body fat.
    He KNOWS not to get between you and the food.

Yup..... Gonna be a bear.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Emofedom is offline Senior Member
    Lol.... Me too me too! I want be a bear! Love it!

Em
    "Adapt and Overcome"

LOL Siobhan, that does sound very nice We have lived in bear country a while, DH his whole life and me just since 1998 (except for a few years in SC) We found that electric fence works if set up right. But I don't know enough of the in's and out's and how to's because we have never had to deal with them personally. Never had chickens of our own to protect before.

Am horrified to see I didn't credit the bear piece properly - I didn't write it, unfortunately I don't know who did. One of those internet things that makes the rounds.

Our neighbors lost three bird feeders to bears last fall. They said it was quite amusing to see the three bears sitting there in the yard, each holding a feeder like it was an ice cream cone!

Yup, I bought replacements yesterday for the bear treats But they all come indoors in the evening, and the hummingbird feeders too. We have not seen any sign of the bear since our return and I am hoping that it has moved on to greener pastures! I remember years ago I had my bicycle seat eaten by a bear ... the foam had a slightly sweet smell! Needless to say after that the bike lived indoors at night. The frustrating thing is that where we live we have nowhere to put the trash can inside. And this old trailer is so pathetic I think the bear could just stroll on in if it smelled anything nice inside. What on earth would be attractive to a bear in our house? Mmmmm, how about bacon and lovely fatty meat smells!!! I am glad we have a dog who is always on the alert for things out of the ordinary, it is comforting knowing that she will bark if she hears or smells something. Our shed where we store the chicken feed and the deer hides that DH is wanting to turn into buckskin, hopefully the bear doesn't smell those and try to partake as the shed is even more frail than our home! Even I could break into it without much effort and I don't have 3 " claws and loads of muscle!

I am trying not to be stressed - but I cannot lie. I am STRESSED at the moment. My back is playing up this evening - I haven't been to the chiropractor for ages and I can see I have a visit coming up in the next couple of days. It is a week tomorrow that the kids and I leave for SC and I have so much to do!! Sent a whacking chunk of money off to SA and it feels good to have that done. Now my brother can complete the lease of the cottage for my folks and buy a car for them too... Now we find out that our truck that we are going to be driving back from SC, is needing some pricey work done before we can tow a U-Haul trailer back across the country. We just don't have any other options right now so just trying to smile and see the silver lining. It is going to be lovely to have our truck back again And we are looking forward to our drive across the country - we are going to take a route that we haven't done before and are hoping to stop at a couple spots that are on our list of places we want to go.

I have been noticing that there is quite a lot of chocolate disappearing down my throat again lately! I know it is not good - but just don't seem to be able to quit at the moment.

We are enjoying the lovely fresh produce from the garden at the moment. I am delighted to announce that my gem squash is producing a lot of fruit and we had the first two gemsquash for dinner tonight. It is so many years since I last ate any and it was SOOOO yummy. Melted butter and herbamare and pepper mixed in ....

ecks is offline Senior Member
    Wait... chocolate is bad? I would think good quality dark chocolate is actually a solid option when you're stressed. You've got positive triggers for serotonin (therefore balancing out any cortisol imbalances), ton of anti-oxidants, and a good portion of fat! You've been told that chocoate is bad but really I think it's another conventional wizdom thinking. There must be reasons why your body would go to chocolate as a comfort when you are anxious no? I think it has many properties that people don't think about.
    SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333, 2 Years: 245lbs
    Current Weight as of December 4th, 2013: 239
    Short Term Goal: Happy brain, figure out direction in life.
    Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension, Better sleep, Be a 1x Shirt
    Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
    Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks Ecks! It is the good chocolate that I am eating - just too much! But having said that I am not gaining weight at the moment either. Just kind of stuck around 205 - 207 at the moment. I had not thought of the good stuff in good chocolate. I am just trying to make it through this next few weeks and then will get back on track with at least sticking to a few pieces of dark chocolate instead of a whole bar!!!

It is only a few days now until the kids and I head out to the Carolina's. Nervous and yet really eager to get it over with. It looks like a nice little car is coming together on the other side too which is great. Once we are on the ground on the other side I am going to stop by my favorite store and pick up some raw milk (hopefully they still carry it) and some butter and eggs and meat. The folks are semi vegetarian at the moment so I need to make sure we get our protein in Maybe my feet will quit cracking for a couple of weeks with the humidity!? I know that part of the dry skin is because of the adrenal fatigue and the thyroid issues. But I also know that the dry air here is sure to exacerbate it!

Should be meeting the house sitter this weekend and hope that she will be good with our old pooch. Molly is a sweetheart and is just not used to being left alone for long ... she'll be turning 12 this October and is definitely getting on a bit. (although she is as healthy as can be - slim and trim like I wish I was.)