Page 93 of 150 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103143 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal journal : Coll page 93

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    I haven't been posting, because I can't think of anything helpful to say, but I have been thinking of you and sending prayers and good thoughts your way. Hang in there.

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    I am so glad you made some quality time with your family. And you have remembered the Golden Rule. You know - "The one with the gold makes the rules."
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Coll is offline Senior Member
    Thanks Sabine and Siobhan. Lol - we hardly qualify as the one with the gold But I know what you mean.... waiting for the doc to call me....
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 224.8 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Candy in Wonderland is offline Senior Member
    Thinking about you and your family Coll. I hope you can get your parents back to SA quickly!
    My Journal: Candy in Primal Wonderland
    My Blog: Candy in Wonderland
    Goal for 2012: keep weight steady (+/- 74 kg): check
    Goal for 2013: lose 10 kg and keep new weight (+/- 65 kg)

Thinking of you and hoping for all the best -

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

What a stressful few days... lots of calls overseas, one of my brothers lives in Taiwan and the other two in SA. Figuring out the time differences and trying to fit all these calls into my day. Dealing with recalcitrant parents who are now dragging their heels and being obstructive even while I am bending over backwards to help. My dad is having some angina at night - but mild and the meds help. I am READY for this craziness to be done ... and I am suddenly so looking forward to having our family without the ongoing chronic and pretty intense stress of dealing with my parents in this country. It is going to be so wonderful to have a long distance relationship and have my siblings deal with the pouting and manipulation etc. We have been married for almost 13 years and have had my folks to care for, for the last almost 8 years! My wonderful hubby has worked his tail off taking care of us and them and it is going to be so nice to have a set amount that we send every month to help out, instead of it feeling as though we are always handing out money with no idea of where it goes or when we will be asked for more. The kids are sad to think of my folks moving so far away, and I am sure I will be too when the time comes. But, right now, I am ready to be done with all the stress ...

I went grocery shopping this afternoon and when I got back and got the refrigerator all loaded it struck my how different my refrigerator and cupboards look compared to the average persons. It was quite fun to look and only see good stuff ...

I have been taking the supplements from the naturopath for about a month now and despite being sick and very stressed I am still feeling better than when I started. I am sleeping pretty well, waking up feeling more rested, feel as though I have a little more energy through the day, thinking is less foggy too. This is really exciting - I do feel as though I am improving.

What I am taking:
    - raw food multivitamins
    - astaxanthin 12 mg daily
    - Vit D3 5000mg (was on 10 000 for 21 days)
    - just upped my cod liver oil to 4 teaspoons a day for the next while
    - evening primrose oil
    - thyroid supplement 65mg daily for the last month
    - cortisol manager 1-2 tabs before bed (work well now)
    - adrenal B complex for the last month
    - melatonin 1-2 mg pretty much every night at the moment

I am able to do my chores without dragging my way through them which is a big change. I am even starting to think about starting up regular exercise again - but not right now. I am walking more often and of course summer brings lots of outdoor chores.

I have been making up a bunch of different cordials/liqueurs and I am thoroughly enjoying trying different recipes and of course I can't restrain myself from tweaking them and making them 'mine'. I have a bottle of cassis maturing, a bottle of blackberry tangelo is maturing, then there is a bottle of cherry wisniak in the back of the cupboard, there is a jar of potpourri (my own mix that is smelling incredible!!!!) a jar of fruit salad type cordial, a bottle of mint cordial (that stuff is potent! Made with all 4 different kinds of mint I have growing in the garden) a jar of blueberry lemon cordial and then this evening I started up a jar of peach brandy. I am still experimenting with how much raw honey to add to make it work for our much adjusted palates. The recipes (which have been made less sweet than the store bought cordials) are still way too sweet for us. I put half of the recommended amount of honey into the mint cordial and it is still really too sweet for me. Amazing how much my tastes have changed.

I was delighted to find one of my favourite South African wines at the liquor store the other day while I was perusing the shelves looking for vodka and brandy. I have been sipping on it while making dinner and now while at the computer. SO yummy! For what it is worth - Fleur du Cap, sauvignon blanc, mmmm. DH is reading a story to the kids and I am taking a minute to myself ...
    Last edited by Coll; 07-17-2013 at 08:19 PM.

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

A SUPER awesome thing I found out with all the conversations with my youngest brother - I can hardly believe it! He is now paleo!!!!!! He has always been interested in eating healthily and exercising, but he said he lost 12 kgs and is in the best shape of his life It is so cool that despite being so far apart and really not knowing each other all that well anymore, we are both doing paleo/ primal. What a thrill! We were joking about how once my folks are settled in there he should rig a machine that scans their groceries as they cart them into the house and any carbs or sugars get nuked into dust - lol. They'd have pretty empty sacks after that ... tee hee!

You have accomplished so much over the past few days! That is wonderful. And how great about your brother! I would so love it if one of my family members would go paleo.

I know you are doing the right thing about your parents. Sometimes - more often than not - the right thing is very hard. I wish so much I could get my mom paleo-ized. (Fat chance)

Your cordials sound so wonderful! I used to make a Bailey's Irish Creme thing - not at all the same, but it was fun. Hmm, I could make some cordials...must think about this.

A few years ago when I lived in Boston, I had a favorite SA wine, I'm afraid I don't remember the name. The local packy sold it - it was in an unusual shaped bottle and was very reasonably priced. I really loved that wine!

Candy in Wonderland is offline Senior Member
    I'm so happy to see you're feeling better! I would suggest to wait with the exercise routine: you have lots of work (exercise) already and with adrenal fatigue it's important to get enough rest.

I'm curious about the mint cordial, what's it like? Do you have a recipe you would like to share?
    My Journal: Candy in Primal Wonderland
    My Blog: Candy in Wonderland
    Goal for 2012: keep weight steady (+/- 74 kg): check
    Goal for 2013: lose 10 kg and keep new weight (+/- 65 kg)

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I agree Candy, I am just starting to feel as though I can manage most of my chores on a day to day basis. I don't want to undo all the good stuff that is happening by exercising too much at this point.

The mint cordial is a very strong flavor indeed. DH is not that impressed with it (he is also not familiar with cordials and usually prefers beer) - I however think it is awesome and perfect for tiny sips over a period of time I put about 12 -14 tablespoons fresh mint leaves (can use about 6 TBSP of dried mint), chopped or well crushed to release the oils into 3 cups of vodka (I get vodka that is not made with wheat) in a tightly covered mason jar. Let it steep for about 10 days shaking the jar occasionally. Strain and filter. I added 1/2 cup of raw clover honey which was too much. I would start with a lot less and gradually add until the sweetness is what you like. Then set the jar aside in a cool dark place to mature for about 2 weeks (longer is ok, but it should be at least that long) You can also use it as a condiment on icecream or whatever takes your fancy Of course if you wanted you could make it a weaker solution and then add more leaves and steep again if it wasn't strong enough for you. Or you could add more vodka to dilute it, if it is too strong.

The kids wanted to taste the cordial when I was done adding the honey so I put a drop on each of their tongues. I had forgotten how strongly DS reacts to even normal flavors (!!!!!) Poor kid just about lost it, the flavor was so strong. His face turned bright red, tears filled his eyes and he started gagging and coughing - at least he didn't throw up though I think we got close!!! I felt rather bad afterward Needless to say even a drop of that one was waaaayyyy too much for him! DD kind of likes it ... they are so different.

I am eager to try the fruit cordials too - but patience is the name of that game