Page 90 of 145 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100140 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal journal : Coll page 90

Coll is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Boy, I feel as strong as a newborn kitten! Just watering the gardens and the planters and picking a few peas and a couple heads of lettuce is about enough to send me to bed! I ended up eating scrambled eggs for breakfast and dinner yesterday and applesauce for lunch. Otherwise I had popsicles made from coconut water and blueberries. Everything was tolerated fine, so today will increase the amounts and if all is well during the day I may have a light dinner. Talk about a boost in the weight loss department! Another pound down since yesterday - this is certainly NOT my favourite way to do it, but at least there is a benefit to all the nastiness... I got brave and put on one of my sleeveless shirts today, I know my arms are really way too fat to wear something like this but there are only the kids to see me.

If I can summon up the energy today I may try to inflate the kiddies pool and clean it out and fill it. The weather is so hot and I know the kids will have a blast playing in it. Just too hot to enjoy being outside except early morning and late evening but the mosquitoes are in full force at the moment too. There is a swampy area in the pasture below the irrigation ditch and it breeds them in squadrons!! Fortunately the Burt's Bees insect repellant really works so I don't have to worry about getting all those toxins on board when we go out. Love that stuff - it even works to keep chiggers off!! Excellent stuff - you do need to reapply from time to time, but I love the herbaceous smell so that works just fine for us

I spent the day watching movies and reading books yesterday Not often that I give myself permission to have a day like that - but at the moment I can only be up and about for a short while before lying down again. I found the series by Mary O'Hara that I adored as a child, My Friend Flicka etc. Filmed in 1943 and I am loving it - so many flashbacks to my childhood and my horse dreams ....
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 13 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 227 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by, and that has made all the difference." Robert Frost.

Yesterday was the first day that I felt totally normal. BM's are not yet up and running after the craziness but otherwise I was able to do all my chores and cook and clean normally and no weakness. My weight had dropped to 203 lbs for a couple of days but has gone up to 206.5 lb now and seems stable there. Now that I feel better I can look at eating a balanced diet again and look to continuing my journey to health.

Yesterday I made DS and I huaraches from kits I bought. Very comfortable and as close to barefoot as I can get and still be allowed in stores. Also helps to protect my feet from thorns - we have plenty of goat heads and cactus around here. I am not planning on trying these on the cactus but hopefully they'll protect me if we have an accidental encounter. I am pleased with how they turned out. DS is delighted too - he has been complaining that the soil is too hot for him to walk on barefoot now, he hates shoes and is almost always barefoot. I think these are going to be a good compromise for us. Of course it is a mission to get them adjusted just right - especially on a fidgety kid's foot! But we are almost there, and then it is a pull on sandal and no more messing with it required.

DSCN6561.jpg

DSCN6568.jpg

We are going to look at another house this afternoon. Will have to see if it could work for us. About 900 sq ft on about 2.5 verticle acres with a little plot across the road and on the river. Feeling hopeful and yet cautious. It hasn't been lived in for about 2 1/2 years as the old man who lived there before passed away. Needs a lot of work - question is, "How much and what kind?"
    It is up in the mountains and the elevation would take care of the worst of the heat that would be awesome!!

We are working on getting the chickens moved to the veggie garden area this weekend. THen the dog will have the run of the backyard and should also keep the deer and bunnies at bay while my grapevines etc do their thing.

"I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by, and that has made all the difference." Robert Frost.

Candy in Wonderland is offline Senior Member
    Are those Xero shoes? I have them too! Loooove them! If I'm not barefoot I have my huaraches on
    My Journal: Candy in Primal Wonderland
    My Blog: Candy in Wonderland
    Goal for 2012: keep weight steady (+/- 74 kg): check
    Goal for 2013: lose 10 kg and keep new weight (+/- 65 kg)

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Like the huraches. I can't stand having things between my toes, though. Is there a type that just does an across the toe band? How neat that you made them yourself.

What's a verticle (vertical?) acre?

Our first house was 900 square feet. It had a circular layout- perfect for kids to run around.
    Last edited by Sabine; 06-29-2013 at 09:44 AM.

Yes Candy, they are Xero shoes Still trying to figure out exactly how to tie them. I seem to have them too tight right now but any looser and they start sliding off my heel. I may need to try a different configuration for them. Sabine I have seen pics of people tying them in ways that don't require going between the toes ...

Vertical acreage is when all the land is a very steep mountainside The place could have worked if it hadn't had such big issues that had been left for too long - think major water damage, never mind the other multiple issues. Mark that one off the list and go back to waiting. We ate out tonight for a change and while I enjoyed not having to make dinner I can feel that the food didn't really agree with me It is sad when you enjoy your own homemade food more than restaurant food - I feel healthy and satisfied when I eat at home. Not so with food cooked elsewhere.

Candy in Wonderland is offline Senior Member
    There are very clear instructions on different ways to tie the xero shoes on their website.
    My Journal: Candy in Primal Wonderland
    My Blog: Candy in Wonderland
    Goal for 2012: keep weight steady (+/- 74 kg): check
    Goal for 2013: lose 10 kg and keep new weight (+/- 65 kg)

Yes, I saw that Candy, this is one of the ways that they showed ... I just may need to tweak it a little for my particular foot shape, or try a different one. I do like how this one looks ... we'll see. Which tying style do you use?

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    I took a look. Very interesting. I may have to put those on my Christmas list. (Behind the spiral vegetable cutter!)

Sabine they are very affordable!

I have figured out why my huaraches were not fitting too well! My feet were swollen toward the end of the day - that is why they seemed fine and then started to dig into my feet. So I need to adjust them for my feet when they are not swollen and just go barefoot when they are swollen. Hopefully that will settle down eventually. I am considering having my mercury amalgams removed by a biological dentist. So many of my symptoms seem to be very closely related to those of heavy metal toxicity. I have loads of fillings from my sugar addict days and have had some of them removed and replaced at various times along with all the routine immunizations and then the many extras that I had when I was working as an RN for about 10 years. But, not advisable to try to detox until I have at least removed the main source of it from my body.

The kids and I went for a short walk together. DS ran the whole way in his huaraches and it gave me a thrill when I remembered how different it was when we first arrived here. He used to hardly run at all and was in constant pain. Now his back and foot hardly ever trouble him. We had initially taken the route of the special shoes and insoles recommended by the chiropractor but saw no improvement whatsoever from those. The actual adjustments definitely seemed to help a lot. Since he has taken to going barefoot nearly all the time he has hardly any pain anymore. He is to the point of detesting shoes - says they feel like prisons for his feet I can relate.

I was hoping to start taking bagpipe lessons again - private ones this time. BUT the teacher that was recommended has suddenly moved away As you can imagine there are not very many bagpipe teachers around. Pretty bummed about that. Oh well ...

ecks is offline Senior Member
    Why not just buy a chanter and try find lessons on youtube? I know it's not the same but at least you can plan it around your own schedule.
    SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333, 2 Years: 245lbs
    Current Weight as of December 4th, 2013: 239
    Short Term Goal: Happy brain, figure out direction in life.
    Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension, Better sleep, Be a 1x Shirt
    Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
    Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses