Page 9 of 145 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal journal : Coll page 9

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hi Coll, I just finished reading through your journal.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamia View Post
    if you eat cilantro every day, there's a chemical in that that binds the mercury and helps detoxify your body of mercury.
    Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Coll View Post
    And your idea of putting quarters into some eggs is awesome, the kids will love that!
    My mother does that for her grandchildren (with a loonie in one of the eggs)
    Even the 20 - 23 year-old grandsons hunt for the eggs! She hides them well

Quote Originally Posted by lopisheep View Post
    Sabine sent a bunch of us over here:-) What a great journal. I enjoyed it so much.
    me too

I can get free bagpipe lessons
    iLike this!

Candy in Wonderland, thanks for your comments - yes, freedom from chocolate is heaven!! I just hope my kids will get there too.
    freedom from chocolate??? What's that

I have to take her out on a leash during the day because otherwise she'll be eating our chickens.........
    You can change that:

(btw, Josie was crazy reactive just the day before this!)
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Coll is online now Senior Member
    OK, last night I really messed up, but only realised it in retrospect. Sometimes I do really dumb things and then am surprised when all hell breaks loose! While I was making dinner I ate quite a bit of bacon fat, really fatty pieces only lightly cooked (ie. with most of the fat still there) and then brusselsprouts after that and a rich stew all on a tummy that had fasted for 24 hours. Talk about a recipe for explosive diarrhoea! One way to make sure you lose weight on your fast! Boy! did I have nasty stomach cramps and an upset tummy! When I woke up this morning it was still feeling a little on edge so skipped breakfast until it felt better - only had a boiled egg and small glass of kefir. All is well now but I am trying to be extra careful - and trying to pound it into my head that it is best to ease back into eating carefully. It has been so very long since I fasted that I forgot all these seemingly unimportant details.

Breafast: boiled egg, kefir
    Lunch: greek yoghurt with a few nuts, strawberries and blackberries. Black tea with cream and stevia.
    Dinner: hamburger patty in lettuce, cabbage, mustard and homemade mayo. Some salad.

Got a 'new' washing machine today as the old one died a horrible drawn out death a few days ago. We found a nice second hand one at a used appliance store that we have used before. It has a few scratches but I am thrilled with it. It is so quiet and efficient and snazzy It has a transparent lid so the kids and I have been watching the laundry getting washed We don't have TV so we have to resort to watching the laundry going round and the water going in and out - ha ha.

Aunt Flo arrived in all her glory this morning, the sooner she arrives the sooner she can leave for another month! I have felt surprisingly non-achy, but definitely bloated. Not going anywhere near the scale until she is well gone! This last week has been a tough one with a sick child and all the other stuff going on! No real exercise and hardly any sleep. I am feeling surprisingly ok considering, but I do feel as though my fat loss has slowed down as a result. I may just be imagining things- but I don't really know. Will check the day after Aunt Flo leaves to get a feel for how I am doing. I know that there is more to this than the numbers on a scale, but I also need to know if what I am doing is working, or if I need to tweak something a little more. Because, I want to be healthy and part of that is losing pounds of fat. If that isn't coming off I want to know!

Another one of my longterm health issues is extremely dry skin - especially on my feet and hands. My feet are terrible to behold - I can never get on top of the callouses and cracks. Even the tips of my toes crack and bleed, my heels crack and the skin under my big toes peels back and gets really painful. It is really ugly - but more than that it gets really painful and can mess with getting around well. As a kid I never had issues with cracking feet and I lived barefoot. Is it the omega 3 and omega 6 balance that affects this? Or some kind of deficiency? I am so tired of all the skin issues, warts, skin tags, DSAP, cracks and callouses etc etc. Enough already! It would be so lovely to be able to go places and talk to people without their eyes wandering over to my skin issues. Even when they don't say anything, their eyes say it all anyway. I just want to say, "Please look at me and not my skin. I am not infectious, I haven't been bitten by insects, and I do try to take care of it all. I do care - I just can't fix it yet..." I think my worst moment was when the lady giving me my first and last pedicure, looked my legs up and down and went and got herself gloves before she would touch me. I understood and yet I was mortified and just wanted to run away. Not doing that again - too humiliating. (and she ended up cutting me too and I got an infected nail !)

Oh well, you know, at least I can see and smell and sing and enjoy my dear family. They love me and I am very blessed to have such precious people in my life. I have myriads of blessings surrounding me - it doesn't really matter that my skin is ugly if I look at it that way. A friend of ours passed away yesterday, melanoma that metastisized and destroyed him. I am alive and more healthy than I have been for a while, life is good and I am going to enjoy it to the full. Finances have improved a bit, so I can go grocery shopping without wondering how I am going to pay for the food. Still have to be real carefu,l but at least something coming in and DH getting a lot more work. Whew!

LOL Winencandy! Your chicken is bigger than the dog Cute as buttons - both of them. There is no way I could even trust Molly (our corgi) around chickens. No matter how much training she has a very high prey drive, especially when it comes to birds, and I just don't have the know how, or time, to try and teach her. She is 10+ years old and will swallow birds whole rather than let me get it away from her - another really bad thing. I have never been able to get a reliable 'drop it' from her. Corgi's are notorious independant thinkers and she is super smart (sometimes I think even smarter than me!) I love her dearly, but will not be getting a corgi again! Too much brains and she really needs a job to keep her out of mischief! We had a corgi when I was a kid that I adored and was hoping to repeat the experience with her. However, the one from my childhood was brain damaged and always acted like a sweet puppy. He drowned as a pup and was resusitated. I think that took the edge off his working dog intensity. Our next dog is going to have to be a lot more laid back, a lot more interested in being with us and doing what we want, and it will be raised with the chickens etc so that right from the get go the ground rules are there. Molly only met chickens when she was about 4 years old.

What is a 'loonie?' Thanks for stopping by - appreciate your comments

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    LOL Winencandy! Your chicken is bigger than the dog Cute as buttons - both of them.
    Thanks, but it's not my chicken. Josie "met" the chicken that day!

What is a 'loonie?' Thanks for stopping by - appreciate your comments
    A loonie is a $1 Canadian coin (there is a picture of a Loon on it)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...verse_view.png
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

LOL - thanks for the enlightenment Winencandy, I don't think we'll be putting loonies in the eggs somehow

Breakfast: left over burger patty and two fried eggs, half an avocado. BLack tea with cream and stevia.
    Lunch: Black tea with cream and stevia
    Dinner: Bowl of stew, half an avo (they're all ripening at the same time of course!) and a bowl of berries and cream.

I really seem to feel pretty good most of the time if I skip lunch - I have to have a nice big breakfast and that sees me through pretty comfortably. Aunt Flo is still around but has been pretty quiet on this visit... no cramping and lighter 'flo' than usual. No cravings. I do still feel somewhat bloated though the diarrhoea the first night certainly took the edge off that for me!

DS is basically better and now DD is feeling under the weather! She usually has a great immune system so hopefully she kicks this out really soon. PRAYING that tonight we all sleep well. I slept like a log last night for the first time in over a week with no interruptions at all - DIVINE! Now I need more of those thanks very much. After working night shift for years I really value being able to sleep through the night. Of course having kids can really wreck your sleep from time to time! (they are so worth every minute of lost sleep though!)

I spent about 3/4 hour weeding the very overgrown rockery out front. DH had an incident with the garden fork which has left me forkless for the moment until the handle can be replaced Got the topsoil and amendments ordered at last and they should arrive on Monday evening. Then it is going to be lots of exercise for yours truly what with shoveling soil into a wheelbarrow and then moving it to the backyard, spreading it etc. Am really excited to get this backyard filled in and get some grass growing. It will be nice to be able to walk out there without risking breaking a leg!

Spoke to the landlord today and confirmed that he is fine with us putting a couple raised gardens in our backyard. Now it is just the challenge of trying to find bulk organic compost here. Can't seem to find anyone who has the real deal - they all try to talk around the whole thing and convince me that because it is made of organic materials (as in plant materials) that it is organic! SO irritating. Told them that while the USDA and FDA think that something is 'safe' doesn't mean that I want to be eating vegetables grown in it! Incredible how ignorant people are. And what is inorganic compost anyway? Everything that goes into compost should be organic in origin- even cow poop is still organic in the sense of made from living matter. Oh well, we'll see what I can come up with. There is a local dairy that is in the process of becoming organic so I e-mailed them today and asked if I can get some of their cow poop... holding thumbs that I will get a favourable response.

Have been knitting DH a jersey / sweater for over a year now. With all the moving and upheaval I haven't laid eyes on it until just the other day. And to make it even nastier I had forgotten that I had messed up the one sleeve and needed to redo it. I thought I only had the one sleeve left to knit and then when I compared the two I remembered the horrible situation so I had to pull most of the one sleeve undone and start over. I am at last at the point of sewing all the pieces together and then the final bit of the neck. I used to knit a fair amount but am not very experienced. Plus I am used to the patterns being written differently in SA. Oh well, I seem to be getting the hang of it again. I am itching to knit the kids each a jersey and then myself too. But I am going to wait on the one for me as I am hoping that I am going to continue shrinking and really don't want to put all that effort into knitting myself something that is going to be too big by the time I complete it! I really would like to find a nice pattern (not too difficult) for knitting nice socks and mittens. Have never made either of these and the patterns look a little daunting because it is a new thing.

I had a wonderful time this afternoon practicing my music - for a change there were very few interruptions and I didn't have to drop it half way through to go and make dinner. Just had to warm up leftovers so that left me a nice chunk of time to practice. I have a couple of weeks to try and get ahead on my practice as there is no practice this Sunday or next. My teacher tends to push me faster than I feel comfortable going - I often just blow off lessons for a couple of weeks so that I can get comfortable with the material before he gives me the next big gob of stuff to learn and get semi- smooth with. I am hoping that I will be ready to get going with my first real tune by the next lesson or two - wooppeee!

I want to stop by the stress group before hitting the sack so here's wishing you all a good night - or day depending on which part of the world you may be in right now
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 13 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 227 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by, and that has made all the difference." Robert Frost.

Candy in Wonderland is online now Senior Member
    Hey Coll, Drops have a lot of really good free patterns: Garnstudio ~ DROPS Design
    Are you on Ravelry yet? This is a knitting/crochet community with lots of (free) patterns too! I'm on Ravelry as 'Lunatic'
    My Journal: Candy in Primal Wonderland
    My Blog: Candy in Wonderland
    Goal for 2012: keep weight steady (+/- 74 kg): check
    Goal for 2013: lose 10 kg and keep new weight (+/- 65 kg)

Again thanks Candy I W. I am going to check those out later!

"I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by, and that has made all the difference." Robert Frost.

Just thought I would drop in for a few minutes. I just had lunch of sorts and really could have probably done without it. I find myself getting into this thing that I need to eat less and less or I am not going to lose weight. My clothes are feeling much the same as they were last time I weighed ... I am not feeling like I am making any progress here. I have 72 pounds to go to healthy me and I am feeling stalled... I thought this was going to be straightforward and I don't know if I have what it takes to try to fine tune what seems to me a pretty basic WOE. I am so afraid that this is not going to work for me ... I AM SICK OF BEING FAT! Might just go and have a little cry and see if I can get over the freak - out of the moment. I want to see the end of 200+ lbs! Never to be seen or experienced again!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know that this has been a bad week, no sleep, no exercise, and it is silly to expect to continue losing weight - except that I have been so disciplined in what I eat and I HATE not seeing results.

Candy in Wonderland is online now Senior Member
    Hey Coll, I know how it feels. But patience is what you need now, you WILL go past this plateau, but give your body time to adjust. And sleep is really important, also for weight loss!
    My Journal: Candy in Primal Wonderland
    My Blog: Candy in Wonderland
    Goal for 2012: keep weight steady (+/- 74 kg): check
    Goal for 2013: lose 10 kg and keep new weight (+/- 65 kg)

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Keep concentrating on how you feel, Coll. It really does help. I had a grumpy moment with the scale this morning, then asked myself my questions: Do you feel better? Do you remember how scared you were just four months ago with mystery pains that you thought spelled out death? Do you like what you're eating? Do you hate how the crap food makes you feel? Yes, yes, yes, yes! Sure, I would like to be lighter, but there's more to it than that, and focusing on the other stuff can help you over the weight moments.
    And also, our bodies just don't always do it the way they should. They hang on to the weight, even if we are 'doing everything right'. Then whoosh, they might surprise you. They are mysterious and incomprehensible at times. Embrace it.
    And, for the part that talking and logic just doesn't help: hugs! We feel your pain.

Page 9 of 145 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast